Blogging
    Hi All,

Does anyone here use blogs as a way of promoting thier sponsors? Perhaps instead of, or in addition to datafeeds?

Reading one of the previous threads about Web 2.0 it would seem that Blogs would fall under the category of the 'new' way to build sites.

If so, would it be smart to learn XML or use a free software service like Wordpress or Blogger?

And what about automation? Is it possible to automate a blog so that it posts every day by taking content from sites that sell articles etc...

Just haven't heard much here about blogging.

mopek

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    http://www.cj.com/psa.jsp
    see section 1. (d) (i)

That refers to 3rd party blogs, i.e. posting (spamming) an affiliate link into a blog comment on somebody else's blog, for example.

It's perfectly ok to write on a blog that you control about products and link to them with affiliate links.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    isn't a blog what they call a "content site" ?
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

ABW Ambassador
    If YOUR blog becomes popular the other bloggggggers will create your content for you.

It does require moderation to TRASH the auto-blog-spammers.

Create your own blog dont use a free service to host one. They can delete your blog without notice and you will be out all your content.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Blogs are definitely good and wordpress seems to be the preferred option
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

We use them. They work.

I don't think it's a good idea to automate a blog. The whole appeal to blogs is the up to the minute details about a particular topic. It's a good idea to quote blogs that post information relevant to your topic, but you should add your own commentary. Automated blogs and spammy blogs are a dime a dozen as you can see by searching www.technorati.com. Best way to popularize a blog IMO is to keep it very up to date with pertinent information and a personal twist.

I agree that you should host blog software on your own hosting account. You get a lot more control this way and you own your information.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    If YOUR blog becomes popular the other bloggggggers will create your content for you.

It does require moderation to TRASH the auto-blog-spammers.
    How does that happen exactly? I can see other bloggers linking to you but how do they create the content for me?

Is wordpress a software that let's me host my own blog?

NyFalcon - What about the blogger software: "use your own domain & not blogspot" option. Is that 'mine' or can they still delete it?

Snib - I see tons of those spammy blogs you talk about and I can't imagine they get many return visitors.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think it's a good idea to automate a blog.
    I don't think automated blogs work much these days after so many scripts that are available above the radar. or do they ?

In fact, I think the blogs that work are those which have posts in a random manner.
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Animal Lover
    Yes. There are even some hosts who can autoinstall it for you. You need at least 1mySQL database to use it.

There are other blogging software out there but I've been using WP and am quite happy with it so far...

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

ABW Ambassador
    You host Wordpress on your own site - check out wordpress.org for details.
    there is a new hosted version of wordpress at wordpress.com - check it out too

What about the blogger software: "use your own domain & not blogspot" option. Is that 'mine' or can they still delete it?
    Yes, they can certainly delete it and that is why it is recommended to host it on your own domain so that you have much better control.
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I am noticing alot of "junk" blogs getting decent rankings. It's only a matter of time before blogs get more scrutinized by the SE's. Unfortunately a good thing always gets tainted by a few bad affiliates.

if you have cpanel and then fantastico installed, many times Wordpress in an option under blogs. Just click the link and then use the installation link and it installs the blog to a directory of your choice.

We have setup a site that lists all affiliate related blogs. We are always looking for new listings. No recip rink is required but appreciated.

http://www.affiliateblogster.com

Take a look and see what others are doing, or even add yours!

In terms of junk blogs getting banned from SE's, why would Big Brother Google bother when they are have a huge blogging platform?!?

-AB

Quote Originally Posted by dflsports
    I am noticing alot of "junk" blogs getting decent rankings. It's only a matter of time before blogs get more scrutinized by the SE's. Unfortunately a good thing always gets tainted by a few bad affiliates.
    I know Google is putting a lot of resources into removing these junk blogs. I believe I read from Matt Cutts that the Jagger updates were done for exactly this purpose.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I know Google is putting a lot of resources into removing these junk blogs. I believe I read from Matt Cutts that the Jagger updates were done for exactly this purpose.

- Scott
    Cool now they just need to weed out the Adsense adwhore pages and they will be good!

-AB

Thanks again.

I just visited wordpress.org in the support forums and they said that version 2.0 will be released on the 26th so I'm waitin t'ill then to start it up.

I agree that you should host blog software on your own hosting account. You get a lot more control this way and you own your information.
    I couldn't agree more. I made the mistake of setting up a blog on blogger and spent more time removing spam comments than anything. They have some settings so you can keep people from commenting but by the time I figured out that was an option, I had hundreds of useless comments to delete. It was a major PIA.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread