Question Newbie Looking At ShareaSale and CJ
    I am a newbie merchant. My product is a personalized gift, comparable to "name a star", but different. We offer two product "kits", Standard ($53 inc ship) and Deluxe ($63 inc ship).

We launched three weeks ago with small PPC and Biz Rate campaigns, and a PRNewswire release. We generated traffic and made over $2300 in sales, with a decent conversion rate (about 4%). Thus, we are fairly certain there's a market for our product.

A few questions:

1. We are analyzing Shareasale and CJ. Shareasale looks good b/c of the cost of entry, but CJ looks good because of the large network. What do folks recommend in terms of networks for a product such as ours?

2. Obviously, we'd like to sign up as many good affiliates as possible as quickly as possible. We realize that we will have to make efforts in this regard, but what type of "opting in" by affiliates could we expect from simply setting up as a merchant on Shareasale or CJ and letting affiliates find us?

3. How do we ascertain the viability of our product as an affiliate marketing appropriate product? Would we be wiser to test on Shareasale first, or would any results there be inconclusive in terms of extrapolating them to what CJ could do for us. We could swing CJ financially if it made sense.

4. What type of commission structure would make our product attractive to affiliates? We want this to be real win-win.

Thank you for any input. We would greatly appreciate candid responses.

Hi, Welcome.
    i am a sharasale merchant,
    no complaints here.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

We are analyzing Shareasale and CJ
    You have come to the right forum for that question, but you will probably be best served by prowling around here and getting a feel for how the two are liked.

There seems to be a consensus that Sharasale is more interested in a level playing field for everyone involved. They have a forum here and Brian is very concerned that things run as they should. As an affiliate they are my preferred for now.

What do you mean by "playing field"
    What do you mean by "playing field"?

Make it simple: # Affiliates vs # Sales
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

I guess that parasites was the main thing on my mind when writing "level playing field". Take a look at a few of these search results for "parasite " to see where I'm coming from.

Could you elaborate on #affiliates vs. #sales
    Could you elaborate on #affiliates vs. #sales

What about the my affiliate program software and their network Kolimbo?

I never had any problems

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    I'm just going to wave and say Hi and welcome :-)
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Could you elaborate on #affiliates vs. #sales ~ Big TZ
    I am trying to simplify your goal hopefully you could more focus in analyzing those two (and maybe other) networks.
    IRS

Still don't understand. I want the highest sales, but what does "vs." mean? Does it mean you sacrifice one for the other?

I will make it real easy.

Affiliates trust SAS more in everything from good tracking and honest reporting to getting paid on time and having parasite free merchants as well as having good free tools to promote your products and an easy uncomplicated intereface.

So the reason you were considering CJ was..............?????

Yes, CJ has a large network but how many people have only joined theirs to slap a banner on their mom and pop site and hope for the best?

Trust me, every single professional affiliate marketer knows about SAS. And, I would bet ALL of them at least check SAS from time to time. Those who don't know about SAS aren't really in this business. You will be found there.
    Last edited by SSanf; December 22nd, 2005 at 02:15 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Still don't understand. I want the highest sales, but what does "vs." mean? Does it mean you sacrifice one for the other? ~ Big TZ
    Well, if you choose #Sales as your goal then forget about #Affiliates (but a wise man said, don’t put your eggs in one basket). I am a lazy man and could be wrong. If I were a merchant and #Sales were my goal, then I would focus in analyzing thread about payments/checks in this forum. By doing that, I could find out which networks pay the most to affiliates.
    IRS

Quote Originally Posted by Big TZ
    ...We launched three weeks ago...we'd like to sign up as many good affiliates as possible as quickly as possible...
    How much objective traffic and conversion data do you have to convince prospective affiliates that it's worth their time? Have you done everything you can to optimize your business before diving in to adding an affiliate channel?

In the meantime, research your options re networks and in-house platforms but I wouldn't make it a big priority at this point.

Regards,
    Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    If you're as newbie merchant, I'd suggest that main merchant tasks may keep you more than busy enough - give some thought to outsourcing your affiliate program management. Hiring one could help you avoid learning by making mistakes - in the fast paced environment of Internet Marketing, you often can't afford that.

There's plenty of good ones here at ABW that could help you - not only to choose a platform, but kicking off things right and fast.

I suggest your search (if you're so inclined) start with Andy Rodriguez and the others listed here:
    + back to main ABW forum showing all categories...
    http://forum.abestweb.com/index.php?
    + scroll 1/2 way down looking for section called "Out Sourced Program Managers"

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread