Beware themed adsense ads
    I turned on the themed ads for my account last week. Yesterday I noticed that a leaderboard on one of my sites looked really strange.

It was supposed to be a dark background with light text to match the site it was on. But the text had turned dark and unreadable, and the background was mostly dark but with white squares showing the "themed images" -- so basically it looked really stupid and unreadable.

I reported the problem to them and changed my settings to not allow themed ads.

This morning I was still showing themed ads (completely white background now, still not what matches the site but better) and I got a canned reply to my message that showed they didn't read the message.

I went and checked my settings, and it claimed I wasn't allowing themed ads.

sigh
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    perhaps "stupid and unreadable" was the theme...

question is, why is adsense support running ads about their replies...

I made sure that I didn't enable them as i dont put ads on my site 99% of the time
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    I decided to give this a try & had the exact same results as missdonna - to put it bluntly, they looked like complete a$$! I turned them off last night and they were still showing as of a few hours ago.... I really wish Google would get their act together! At least we were automatically "opted" into this like the site targeting BS

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Themed ads run contrary to the idea of having your ads look like part of your site.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    You're absolutely correct. The idea, I think for many, is that publishers want a graphical way to draw attention to the ads, which is not allowed. These holiday themed ads can be seen as a way of making it acceptable to do just that. IMO, it was worth a shot, and once I saw how bad they look, I wanted them off my sites. There's also those who are concerned about ad blindness wanting to try something other than slight variations in colors.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I like my themed ads a lot! They make for a nice, season-based insta-update and therefore help to make it look all fresh--without me having to do sh*t!! What's not to love about that?

As for it not taking them away immediately, considering the fact that it took them a week to put mine ON, I'm not surprised at the delay.

The fact that they don't match the site? Pbbbttt oh well, I'm sure ad blindness had set in with my old adsense blocks anyway, and now I don't have to bother manually changing stuff to liven things up. So, unless people stop clicking, the looks are fine with me. They don't match, but they don't outright clash with any of my sites that I've checked so far, either...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I like my themed ads a lot! They make for a nice, season-based insta-update and therefore help to make it look all fresh--without me having to do sh*t!! What's not to love about that?
    I agree...

While some are sticklers for the hardnosed Professional look, theme'd Ad's are a nice change from the norm for some peoples eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur
    While some are sticklers for the hardnosed Professional look
    I wish I'd thought to save one of them to show how unreadable it was. If it had just been ugly I wouldn't have cared. That would probably have been good.

On a white background it would probably work.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

removing themed formatting from adsense
    The reason your ads are still showing up with themed colors might be that it is hardcoded into your website. If you have not updated your adsense code on your website since you turned off themed ads you will need to copy and paste the code again.

When you change the setting in your google adsense settings to not enable themed ads that will update the ad code that you generate on the adsense website in the future but you still have to update what you have already copied and pasted into your website in the past.

Hope this helps...

Kimberly

Can someone tell if my adds are themed or camaflaged and whats the difference?

I spent some time last week changing code and messing around with colours for my adds which definately made a difference. When you say themed adds your saying the colours fit in with your site ect?

It's still obvious they are adsense which should keep me clear of any complaint from them.

What do you think?

ABW Ambassador
    Themed ads have holiday inspired graphics w/in the ads themselves, i.e. a pumpkin in the background in late October. If you have themed ads enabled & we're not around a holiday, your normal ads will show.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread