Building a site for China market
    I'm thinking of starting a new website in China but I don't know the first thing about Chinese hosting, domain names, seo, market, etc.

Does anyone have a chinese website? Where can I go for reliable information about the topic?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

ABW Ambassador
    No idea personally, but here's a Google search for domain names in China, restricted to .gov TLDs.

There must be Government regulations involved, so that seems like a logical place to start to find out about official residence requirements (if any), business registration info, etc.

I can remember reading about design differences based on cultural differences in different countries, like style preferences and different meanings attributed to different colors, so that might be worth checking into also, in your preliminary research.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Many chinese sites are dotcoms ... you may want to start with a .com TLD, in the chinese language and figure out a way to promote it in the chinese internet population...
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

The cultural differences is a good point, thanks!

I do notice that Chinese websites has more festive colors and tend to stay away from some of the grey, platinum look many of the American sites seem to favor.

I guess at registerfly, they are offering a .cn domain to anyone who registered . .not sure...
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Quote Originally Posted by pokerturkey
    The cultural differences is a good point, thanks!

I do notice that Chinese websites has more festive colors and tend to stay away from some of the grey, platinum look many of the American sites seem to favor.
    Strange, you'd not expect that from a communist country

Cool
    just for giggles, try the site: (yoursite) command in baidu.com and see how you stack up over there.

ABW Ambassador
    A .com is the most versatile, but with the geo-targeting that the search engines do for listings, for the best competitive edge locally within the country itself, it takes either a country-specific TLD and/or local hosting. So for a .com site, it would have to be hosted within China for maximum search advantage.

The engines definitely look at the geographic location of IP numbers for where sites are hosted and rank accordingly, particularly in the case of when there's a choice for for searchers for country-specific results only.

i think that .com is universal and better.

ABW Ambassador
    i think that .com is universal and better.
    It is, and it's generally far better for type-in traffic, too. But if a .com is used, then the site has to be hosted locally within the country for search engine geo-targeting purposes, to have the ranking advantage for local traffic.

You can easily see it with all the major engines' sites in Canada, with the advantage sites have when they're hosted in Canada. It's a whole different mix of results.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    It's not a english speaking market, if you don't plan to build the site in simplified chinese for the mainland then you'll get nowhere.

China has it's own search engines, promotion sites and so on. You can not easily leverage what you have in the US to build in China.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Great stuff guys, thanks! Keep them coming.

So, to clarify:

dot.com + Chinese hosting is better than dot.cn + Chinese hosting

Or are you saying that:

dot.com + Chinese hosting is better than dot.cn + American hosting

I'm guessing you're saying #1.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hosting company that is english-friendly?

Happy holidays to all!

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    >dot.com is better than dot.cn
    Many Chinese companies use .com or even .cc, but .cn is open to everyone. The defining factor is the language encoding of your content. Even then if you are targeting the greater Chinese market, then you need two versions with different encoding, one for mainland and Taiwan, the other for Hong Kong.

>Chinese hosting is better than American hosting
    There are major Pros and Cons to both, which you need to weigh up. First is that if you host outside of China you face the Great Bamboo Firewall, where your site could be blocked by the Government at any time. But then, if you host within China, you need to be registered with the Government, and perhaps more importantly, face communication challenges with the hosting company. If you speak Chinese it will be easier, but even then it can be be quite difficult, I speak from experience. There are also many other technical and ethnolectical considerations to be faced if hosting within China.

We have a number of very detailed discussions about these issues over at WmW. If Haiko permits, I can post the threads.

Is short, there is no easy answer, you need to do a lot of research, and I do mean a lot, before making a decision.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Great, detailed answer there.

I didn't know there were so many restrictions to doing web business in China. You are giving me a lot to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by pokerturkey
    I don't know the first thing about Chinese hosting, domain names, seo, market, etc.
    Er... so why do something where you haven't got a clue?

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    maybe 'cause eventually he will have a clue and have a smashing success on his hand...?

...or not...

;-)
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Lightbulb
    It was a question worth asking.

Too bad credit cards aren't prevalent there.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread