CJ and AdWords
    I recently started a few AdWords campaigns for keywords related to one of the advertisers I work with in CJ on a content site. Receving decent impressions and a decent CTR, but so far no conversions. I have a 1.6% CR with this advertiser from my content site and the AdWords ads go directly to the sale page on the advertiser.

Have received 170 AdWords clicks so far and no sales, according to CJ reports and SIDs from the AdWord links.

CJ reports tell me about the gross number of clicks and impressions, whether or not they result in a conversion, but is there a way I can track whether these AdWord clicks are actually working, i.e., being attributed to me and showing up as clicks in the CJ system? Should have had at least 1 sale if only a 1% conversion rate.

Is there a way I can test this system or do I need to be more patient?

ABW Ambassador
    imho

You need a larger statistical sample.

170 AdWords clicks is too few.

You might get 3 sales via the next 3 clicks.

The best way that you can see if those ads are converting, aside from your normal site links is to send the traffic to a page out side the normal navigation of the site (keeping all other navigation the same so that traffic away from the page flows properly), with a separate pid.

IE the product page is named domain/product.html If you were to post a copy this page (except set it to no index for the SE) rename it product2.html and then send the adwords traffic to this page using a pid for adwords alone.

If you really want to go loaded for bear copy the whole site, place it under a subdomain change all the pids and see if that traffic spills over to some unexpected conversions on other pages.

Check into your keywords...your getting traffic, but is it the traffic you want?

this is only one way of doing it, I have no idea as to the scale of your site or the number of products that your working with.

Quote Originally Posted by Proverb
    Should have had at least 1 sale if only a 1% conversion rate.
    1% conversion doesn't mean that in every first 100 clicks you will convert 1. It could be 1000 clicks and the last 5 clicks convert and still your conversion is 1%. You need a bigger sample size.

Adding on to others ... I am in kind of a dead zone right now - a lot of clicks and few conversions - it appears to be a lot like waves - maybe surf/buy will be up soon.

With a 1% conversion ratio, the results from 100 clicks are pretty varied.

37% of the time, you'll get 0 sales
    37% of the time, you'll get 1 sale
    26% of the time, you'll get 2 or more sales

I've found that AdWords converts better than normal links from a site, but only if you pick the right keywords. The more general a keyword is, the worse it converts.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the replies
    Thanks to all for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    The best way that you can see if those ads are converting, aside from your normal site links is to send the traffic to a page out side the normal navigation of the site (keeping all other navigation the same so that traffic away from the page flows properly), with a separate pid...
    My AdWords links go right to the advertiser's product page, so the only way I have of knowing if the clicks are working as they should is to see a sale in my CJ report with the appropriate SID - as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Proverb
    Thanks to all for the replies.

My AdWords links go right to the advertiser's product page, so the only way I have of knowing if the clicks are working as they should is to see a sale in my CJ report with the appropriate SID - as far as I know.
    That's the only way, and hence you've discovered the risk in doing direct to merchant PPC. The easy way to test the system (to answer your original question) is to make a test purchase if it's affordable and see if it tracks.

sid's are not the answer, some advertisers don't support the sid even when you include it. Get a different pid for your adword activity, so you can match the clicks reported to the traffic you paid for. It makes calculating roi much easier.

In general, CJ will report more as adwords (by just a bit) backs out some traffic of people who click to often (or test clicks)....from what i've seen anyway. Make sure the product is in stock and if your distributing your ads to the "content" section you might want to turn that off till you know how well it's doing.

BTW, make sure your not violating the advertisers keyword policy (look for a keyword link and/or contact the advertiser directly), by using protected keywords or display URLs...you risk loosing any commissions earned including those from your content site.

Might want to wait a few days to dive into AdWords as it seems like online shopping is softening substantially right now. It should pick up again around New Years and stay strong in January.

Great idea about using a separate PID for AdWord links mrbshouse - thanks.

And thanks Superstar for the tip about waiting a bit.

A lot of things matter :

1. The product itself matters the most. If it is good & appropriate enough to satisfy the needs of the prospective customers, there will definitely be conversion.

2. It matters what your target-customers are. Worldwide or country-specific? If you receive a lots of clicks from the users who actually look for some products information only rather than becoming a customer in return.

3. Where are your ads distributed? Google search & content network or only Google Search & search network? I personally don't like my ads to be distributed to Content networks. Why? Lots of fruad clicks, specially from sites running Google AdSense program for making bucks. (poor sites of course, I don't mean every AdSence running sites are doing bad business)
    My personal experience regarding Clicks coming from Content Network:
    I ran a campaign for one day only with Content network. Google says I've received 34 clicks, and according to my CJ performance report, number of clicks are over 100 ! without any conversion !
    I ran the campaign for another day only with Google Search & Search Network. I've received 24 clicks and among them, I got 3 leads registration. got the scenerio ?

But, it's upto what you'll choose as your distribution place. I just don't like the content network. I really don't give them a damn.

4. Your landing page matters. Is it appropriate to deliver the needs of the visitors what s/he is looking for?

There are lots of things to be taken care of. I shared some of mine.

All the best..

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Tip: There's no merchant product landing page that can't be outdone from a shoppers viewpoint by any affiliate. PPCSE direct to merchant is a lazy automated spammy way to set a cookie.... period. I agree only those pushing high conversion products should play with the content network portion of Adwhords and Overture. Mostly you'll run into affiliate Adword scrappped content page for enticing clicks ... not sales.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Tip: There's no merchant product landing page that can't be outdone from a shoppers viewpoint by any affiliate.
    Merchant landing pages do offer that "Buy Now" button though...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

The buy button is there sometimes...okay, most of the time... but, lets say that they are looking for a blue widget in size 4-f with a frazzle slip collar....

It is true that you could use a redirect link to send them to that page directly. Some merchants don't let you utilize those redirect links though.

If you give them some good info about the blue widget in size 4-f with a frazzle slip collar then they will be more likely to buy it once they see it, yes.

However, in the case of the current Adwords structure, the landing page would need to be as optimized as possible in order to receive the most favorible click-through stats for a cost-effective campaign. You cannot control the landing page structure of the merchants page but you can control the structure of your own landing pages.

This is but one of the reasons that I feel that having your own landing pages is beneficial in the context of Adwords. the technique of preselling is also very important IMO.

If someone arrives at a site and sees the blue widget in size 4-f with a frazzle slip collar then they may think, " Okay, here is another site that sells this blue widget in size 4-f with a frazzle slip collar, I'll keep that in mind but I do think that I may want to shop around a bit".

If you can presell them then they may be more inclined to buy the blue widget in size 4-f with a frazzle slip collar rather than continue to shop around for better deals on it. Or better versions of it.

Just an idea....
    :warning: If we don't get some cool rules ourselves.... pronto... then we'll just be bogus too..

http and a telephoto
    If someone arrives at a site and sees the blue widget in size 4-f with a frazzle slip collar then they may think, " Okay, here is another site that sells this blue widget in size 4-f with a frazzle slip collar, I'll keep that in mind but I do think that I may want to shop around a bit".
    And they may bookmark YOUR site which allows you to reset the cookie if they didn't need it within the merchants cookie time frame.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

How much does your ad pre-qualify the people who click on it?

Try to make sure that your ad gives as much info as possible, so that those who click actually are interested in purchasing the product, and not just browsing. Consider putting the price in the ad, if you haven't already.

Although having a high CTR is great and saves on Adwords costs, it's the conversion rate that really matters.

Rob
    [URL=http://ProxyGrader.com]ProxyGrader.com[/URL]
    How anonymous is your proxy?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    CTR, CTR, CTR.

(my mantra)

CTR is no problem...you need to get your CR on...No CR and the blues bro said it

You Go Hungry

Proverb:

There are 2 things you can do:

1) do a small "test purchase", going through your Adwords link on google, and seeing if the commission shows up.

2) Click on your ad in google & look in the browser URL to see if your AID & PID is in the URL display.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread