Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    lurk
    ABW and WMW
    Forgive me if this is a soar subject... but curious, why does WMW disallow typing abestweb in your forum posts? Is there a story behind this?
    Jason

I did a site search at WMW and found 3 older posts with abestweb in the message. If it's a restriction it must be fairly recent. They are way more restrictive as to what you can link to.

ABW Ambassador
    I hate when forums do that. I have a forum and let people link out to whereever they want, even to a competing forum. That competing forum is a giant compared to mine and they allow links to my forum and when they do, the traffic takes a big jump.

Back to WebmasterWorld. Don't know the reason why, but I remember replying to someone's question and 3 things were edited out. One was ABW, another was Wordtracker (trying typing that over there) don't remember the third. 3 ******** on 1 reply, crazy. What's funny is we can link there, but can't link to here from there. There is an affiliate blog that we can't link to from ABW but you can link to ABW from the blog. Usually it's past personal business. I wish everybody would get over it, I like reading various places because I'm interested in different views on subjects.

lurk
    Yeah I think you are right about it being personal Trust, being that it will allow other URLs. Oh well...
    Jason

ABW Ambassador
    A lot of it's got to do with the background and history of certain forums, what they've had to contend with over time, the amount of volume there is to deal with, how much in the way of moderating time and resources are needed (and available) to keep track and keep up, and in varying extents the basic, underlying "philosophies" behind forum operations.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I say let's tit-for-tat 'em

Sounds like W*W's "philosophy" is against making money, if they censor out WordTracker as well as other forums.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I remember when I started a site w/ a forum about a year and a half ago, it was the second in that niche... it was becoming established and then along comes another competitor, but they had the backing of the members of their other site in a similar niche. They made the underhanded offer of products to the people who could bring in the most new members by any means. So, I had one guy come and spam all over my site. I don't mind the casual mention of other sites, but blatant spam will not be tolerated. I removed his posts, ended up banning him after he told me why and promised not to do it again (then did anyway), and as a result, the other site added my domain name to their filters. Guess where they are now? They packed it up and called it quits and now my site is by far the most active in that niche, so I got to have the last laugh!
    To get back to the OP, I think that's really pathetic for other sites to do that...

I can see why forums have to have rules regarding linking out (due to abuse).
    But some forums go overboard and dont allow even -mentioning- specific sites, search terms, products etc. You can only use the word 'widget' so many times and have the post have any meaning. Makes for a blander and less interesting forum imo.

Well, many members of WMW regard affiliate marketers as the sort of thing they'd step in while walking along the street. There are a lot a ABWers there though.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Like Thomas I had to see for myself. Typed "abestweb" and after hitting preview it automatically changed to #*$! Oh well I enjoy them both. I guess the Hatfields and McCoys had mutual friends.

ABW Ambassador
    Hatfields and McCoys
    I doubt that there's any kind of a feud, and I doubt that it's anything personal related to any particular site. There are no links there to any forums, but they're generally removed by a Mod (you can see the edits when they've been done), and no links to blogs, either.

There are a number of "words" or "sites" on the filter that I've come across over time. What it looks like is that once there's been a certain amount of repetition, things get added to the filter as a safeguard of sorts.

In their mod guidelines they are requested to remove links to commercial sites, so I suspect that has a lot to do with it. As webworker points out, there's probably been a certain level of repetition to warrant a filter (or ABW is viewed as just too commercial in nature).

I don't think, as Leader suggests, that WMW is against making money, in fact far from it. It seems that Brett runs a pretty tight ship over there, and it often comes across to me that WMW feels more like a business than a community, but I can't say I mind that at all.

Vege...

I hate wmw as much as I hate Google. I have been booted by wmw mods/admins many times. I decided I wouldn't waste my time with them. They are a bunch of sissies. As far as abwers posting there... mmmmm... do what you will. I will not participate in a forum where freedom of expression is denied by communist censors. WMW is in bed with Google, which is a major butt kissing minus, imo.
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Reminds me of an old joke.

Question: Do you know the difference between a bathroom and a living room?
    Response: Tell me, what is the difference between a bathroom and a living room?
    Response: If you don't know the difference between a bathroom and a living room, then please don't visit me.

When we go to someone's "house" we have to abide by their house rules. If we want to take a crap on the living room floor and their rules say we can't - there's nothing that gives us that right. We just don't visit them if we don't like it at their house or how they do things.

It's really very, very simple.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Reminds me of an old joke.

Question: Do you know the difference between a bathroom and a living room?
    Response: Tell me, what is the difference between a bathroom and a living room?
    Response: If you don't know the difference between a bathroom and a living room, then please don't visit me.

When we go to someone's "house" we have to abide by their house rules. If we want to take a crap on the living room floor and their rules say we can't - there's nothing that gives us that right. We just don't visit them if we don't like it at their house or how they do things.

It's really very, very simple.
    You got that right. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Well, many members of WMW regard affiliate marketers as the sort of thing they'd step in while walking along the street.
    Due to the attitude you just mentioned, this is one ABWer you won't find there!

That "crap in the living room" analogy Ww posted just about sums up the infernal attitude that keeps me away from the place. We are NOT "crapping" up the Net, their forum, or anything else!

I'm with Lurker, although I haven't been banned from there. After all, in order to get banned, I'd have to have signed up at some point! But I left as soon as I saw the Hammer & Sickle of the c*ntent-is-kingers flying high, and didn't return.

Basically, my opinion is that any place that thinks affiliates suck, can jump off a pier. Or better yet, a bridge!

That attitude isn't unique to WMW. Many people have a poor opinion of affiliate marketing, due to the bad players in the field.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker Jones
    WMW is in bed with Google, which is a major butt kissing minus, imo.
    Bingo!

Fred

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader

That "crap in the living room" analogy Ww posted just about sums up the infernal attitude that keeps me away from the place. We are NOT "crapping" up the Net, their forum, or anything else!

I'm with Lurker, although I haven't been banned from there. After all, in order to get banned, I'd have to have signed up at some point! But I left as soon as I saw the Hammer & Sickle of the c*ntent-is-kingers flying high, and didn't return.

Basically, my opinion is that any place that thinks affiliates suck, can jump off a pier. Or better yet, a bridge!
    Similar results of the first look over by Me & Charlie. Charlie figured he couldn't get past the first few lines and we'd get canned..
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I learned not to censor anything on my site causes drama.
    And the less drama on a forum the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Well, many members of WMW regard affiliate marketers as the sort of thing they'd step in while walking along the street
    While I disagree with such a blanket statement, as with any community you're bound to come across members with attitudes and opinions on certain topics, professions or people. For the most part I've found WMW to be extremely helpful even wrt marketing issues. You have to remember that WMW is not an affiliate marketing forum - it's a webmaster forum of which affiliate marketing is but a small slice.

Although they might blank out the ABW name (along with many others), I've never yet read a thread over there where the members or mods of ABW (or any other forum) were called 'sissies', 'communists' or their attitudes likened to a 'hammer and sickle', as has been the reverse case in this thread. Something to think about.

As earning money from the websites that I build is what keeps me and my family in the manner we've become accustomed to, I'll take part in any community that I feel will help me learn more about what I do, even if I don't agree 100% with the board's policies. I'll only boycott a board if it offends my wallet, not my sensitivities.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Somehow I don't think they're losing any sleep over that.

Vege...

Although they might blank out the ABW name (along with many others), I've never yet read a thread over there where the members or mods of ABW (or any other forum) were called 'sissies', 'communists' or their attitudes likened to a 'hammer and sickle', as has been the reverse case in this thread. Something to think about.
    That's because affiliate marketers are capitalists almost by definition!
    Obviously, a capitalist board like this one won't be likened to being communists.

They simply resort to more mundane ways of insulting affiliates, like saying our sites are "spam" or "cluttering the internet" as if making affiliate sites is something bad. Not to mention their coddling of Goofle. And, needless to say, censoring out ABW's name as if it's a swear word isn't a form of flattery.

"Something to think about," indeed

Originally Posted by Leader
    Somehow I don't think they're losing any sleep over that.
    What makes you think I care about their sleeping habits?

Yes, it is something to think about; are you thinking? the reason why I used those terms is because it can be said about wmw. I have been censored before at wmw because of my unfavorable opinion of Google. Here, at ABW, I have not. "sissies", "Google butt kissers", "in bed with Google', and "communist censors" all fit, imo, when describing wmw. And no, the same can not be said about abw - because that is not abw!
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    I've never yet read a thread over there where the members or mods of ABW (or any other forum) were called 'sissies', 'communists' or their attitudes likened to a 'hammer and sickle', as has been the reverse case in this thread.
    That's because they don't allow trashing other forums over there and never have.

Meantime, there are literally thousands of posts over there whining about ALL the search engines and saying all manner of negative things about all of them - and their results. But it's very clear in the TOS that abusive behavior isn't accepted and will be edited out. That's their "house rules" and always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    That's because they don't allow trashing other forums over there and never have...their house rules....
    Which is essentially my point, so I'm not sure if you're directing that reply to me? If so, I didn't understand your point, sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no cheerleader for the way in which some issues are dealt with over at WMW, and I certainly don't sign up there to be around Brett's winning personality. It's the members there, like here at ABW, with their knowledge and willingness to help that makes the place valuable to me from a business point of view. It was a post on WMW (many moons ago) by someone who went on to become quite a fixture here at ABW who inspired me to get into this business in the first place - and my eternal thanks go to that person - so in my view there's a great deal of cross-over between the two forums. I just think that name-calling and likening them to 'commies' is rather puerile.

I'm simply arguing the case that for anyone, like me, who makes their living from making money from websites it pays to see the industry from as many angles as you can, including forums where you might not agree with the way things are done. You never know who might inspire you, or where you'll find that nugget of information that will make all the difference.

Vege...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast