Crazy Search Engines
    Hello everybody, and merry xmas to you all!

I'm new to affiliate marketing and I'm learning so many things since I'm here, I would like to thank you personally! Maybe you don't know, but from a post of yours I read a nice idea I implemented on my sites (yes, I'm spending so much time reading ).

My question is: I have 2 affiliate websites I'm running as test of my new knowledges, I don't know why only a few pages are indexed in the search engines (when I have thousands pages ready, though ). Anyway, I'm trying to put more and more original content for monday and see if something happens.. will G and Y see these changes or have I to notify them in some way? How can I build a good sitemap for my site?

Thank you everyone for your patience and your answers

Alessandro

Hi Alessandro,

Welcome to ABW!

I think it gets some time 4-5 months before a site gets fully indexed. At first, I notice that only the index page gets indexed.

You might want to try Google test DC http://64.233.179.99/ to see a prelude of the next update.

ABW Ambassador
    Welcome to ABW, Allessandro.

As UKJ already mentioned, it does take time for sites to be fully indexed by the engines, longer than it did even just a short time ago. But nowadays MSN Search seems to be the fastest to index, both for new sites and pages added to existing sites, so keep watch on how your pages are ranking with them.

Try to make all your pages as unique as possible, and also get some good quality inbound links to your sites, which can often help with more frequent crawling.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    get some good quality inbound links to your sites
    I see this advice often. It's hard for a newbie to get quality inbound links to a new site.

Can you elaborate on how to get good quality inbound links? Maybe I'm a bit uneducated on this subject, but it seems to me sites that are capable of providing good quality inbound links aren't very anxious to hand out links to new sites. Am I overlooking something? I know most link exchanges are junk, so it might be of great assistance to explain to newbies (and me) how to get good quality inbound links.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by falco85
    How can I build a good sitemap for my site?
    Alessandro, Merry Christmas and welcome to ABW!

For sitemaps, you might want to check this out: https://www.google.com/webmasters/si.../en/about.html

cheers!
    -nishith

ABW Ambassador
    Just get into the directories. If people like your site, they would link to it naturally. For natural search, you have to wait months, maybe even a year or longer before you get decent traffic on a brand new site. You need plenty of patience if you want to work purely with natural search.

Thanks to everyone for your swift answers I'll try to apply your suggestions as much as possible.

UKJ - what do you mean by DC and the ip address you gave me? It refers to google. Sounds new to me Thank you

Is http://64.233.179.99/ a good predictor of how many pages they intend to index from a site in the near future?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    good predictor of how many pages they intend to index from a site in the near future?
    Looking at just one site that's been up for a short time and has had only the homepage showing up in the index for over a month, it's got 10 pages showing at that data center. Other people are seeing the same thing with new sites and new pages.

Except for pages that might get filtered in the interim, my guess is that one of these days soon those results will probably migrate over to the other data centers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Is http://64.233.179.99/ a good predictor of how many pages they intend to index
    How do you use this? When I do site:mysite.com it gives me inbound links for the site.

Just wondering because that shows many thousands of pages fewer than are listed now from a certain site of mine.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    But nowadays MSN Search seems to be the fastest to index
    I have MSN dead last for my sites and I have been wondering if I'm doing enough to make them happy. It looks like their quality is better though.

ABW Ambassador
    MSN Search:

Updated version of a page put up night of the 24th.
    Crawled by MSN, newly designed page is cached, the cache date reads the 25th.
    Getting traffic for a two word search term by the 26th.

They already had the page indexed prior to the page redesign, but for a brand new page it's only a matter of a few more days or a couple of weeks at most in the case of new sites before they've got it.

As far as that test data center of Google's goes, it supposedly has a new type of infrastructure that'll handle 301's and redirects better, and is still being tweaked. So until the point when Matt Cutts "asks for feedback" it's probably too soon to tell anything for sure. Only thing to do is keep an eye on his blog every few days or so to get the latest word.

They've been going after duplicate and near-duplicate content with a vengeance it seems, so that could continue to be an issue when what's on that new DC rolls out. There doesn't seem to be any point in speculating at this point in time. There are different page counts there and the "normal" SERPs even for older sites with no changes made.

MSN Search:
    (#1) New site 12/16/2005
    G indexed 487 pages
    Y indexed 0
    MSN indexed 1

(#2) 2 Year old site:
    G indexed 1040
    Y indexed 3120
    MSN indexed 67

(#3) 2 Year old site:
    G indexed 71
    Y indexed 57
    MSN indexed 38

This is why I think I'm doing something wrong in regard to MSN.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread