Google Crawled Site but Not Listed
    I know that google supposedly doesn't like "thin affiliates" or sites that use datafeeds now.

Would that be the reason most of my pages from my site still don't show up in google? I know google has crawled thousands of my pages lately but when I do a whole site search on google, it only comes up with 80 pages instead of the thousands that I know it has visited.

Any help in understanding this would be appreciated!

Thanks

Cool
    these days, you never know which index they are using to fuel their datacenters.

i think it is better to build for your visitors and let the SE's take care of themselves.

You need to allow a reasonable amount of time between crawls and indexing. It would also help your cause if you could get some deep links to your inner pages. Without knowing the structure of your site, or the time frames involved, it's hard to give any reasonable advice, but the fact that you already have a number of pages indexed would seem to me that you're on the right track and G doesn't have a problem with your site. Work on the IBL's, and give it a bit more time.

To answer your question, from what you've told us I don't think the lack of indexing is because of being a 'thin affiliate'.

Vege...

vegemite,

Thanks for the answer. I didn't know there was "lag" time before and after the crawl. Google crawls my site daily and visits a few hundred pages a day (i use webmerge) so I know it's doing something. I was just concerned when it says it only shows 80 pages or so. I guess I will wait until google updates and see what happens.

ABW Ambassador
    vegemite is right Rodski. If google is crawling your site, I think it is finding your site ok. keep working on the site, add more content, get more inbounds and you should do fine
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Yeah, if you get some links on pages with a PR4 or above, sometimes Google can index you within a week... all depends though.

The only thing that is consistent about Google is their inconsistency.

I think they randomize a lot of aspects regarding their methods just to keep us guessing.

If Googlebot is visiting your site, it is getting indexed. The new thing with Google appears to be that they throw pages they identify as "Thin Affiliate" pages into Supplemental Results. You can see this designation when you use the site:yourdomainname.com query command. These pages will not rank well because they have been penalized or demoted. If you have a way to add unique content to the pages, they should eventual start start to drop the Supplemental Results designation and will get added to search results.

Yahoo is now randomly banning affiliate sites. The indicator that Yahoo has banned a site is the disappearance of all pages except the home page from their index. Yahoo recently hit one of my sites. The site has 150 pages of unique content, but also lots of affiliate links. It popped back in Yahoo shortly after I masked and redirected the affiliate links and blocked the redirect script using robots.txt.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Thanks for the posts... Google has still been crawling my site.... over a few thousand pages but when i do a search for my site on google it still comes up only 90 pages and they aren't even the pages it is crawling. they are the same pages from a long time ago. I will never understand!!

ABW Ambassador
    When did the site first go up?

Google hates duplicate content. If your pages are build using data feeds then it's likely that there are other similar or identical pages out there. Try adding some original content and see how that affects your search results.

Another idea you might try is to direct Google's spiders to all your relevant pages. By inserting special instructions into the meta content of your homepage you can tell the spider what pages to visit and index next.

Cheers

the site has been live for over a year but I just recently added datafeeds to to equal roughly 10-12 pages of products, etc. I have coupons, deals, etc to try and get a little original with the pages. I know people will jump all over this but I was hoping that by having that many pages on my site that have content from a datafeed that at least it would be a chance for an enormous amount of keyword combinations to get crawled and something would "stick". I figured 10,000 pages are better than 10 but I may be wrong...

The sad thing with Google is that over the long run 10 pages of unique content will probably rank better than 10,000 pages of duplicate content. You will get short-term gains from the content mass of a large site, but as soon as Google identifies it as duplcated content it will likely be banished to Supplemental Results.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread