ABW Ambassador
    Commission Junction Tax Form for Australian
    help please, I have been asked to fill in this complex form before I can receive a payment from them but I'm unsure how and what to fill out. I'm an Australian Sole Trader and have no US Tax numbers or accounts there.

If anyone has filled out one then if you can help it would be very much appreciated. I'm unsure with Parts 2 & 3?

part of the email they sent me is below & links to the forms :
    -----------
    Commission Junction requires all publishers to fill out appropriate tax forms before their first payment can be sent. For legal reasons, we are unable to provide advise on filling out these forms. However, we can provide the relevant links to the US Government Internal Revenue Service’s official Web site. For publishers outside the U.S., the link to the PDF for ‘Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding’ (W-8 form) is http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf and its instructions can be found at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8ben.pdf. This tax form is to certify that your U.S. earnings are not to be subject to U.S. tax. Please note we do not have the resources to confirm that we have received your fax.

ABW Ambassador
    Do I put my trading name in Question 1 or my own name?

do you have a company name or are you an individual?

When in doubt, you may want to contact an accountant or the equal to the IRS in Australia...if you receive information that is incorrect from someone just trying to help...it could cost you a sack of cash

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    do you have a company name or are you an individual?

When in doubt, you may want to contact an accountant or the equal to the IRS in Australia...if you receive information that is incorrect from someone just trying to help...it could cost you a sack of cash
    I'm a sole trader, this is a registered small business but not a company. I have a registered Name for my business which is a requirement for Sole Trader.

We have ATO (Australian Tax Office) its closed until Jan 3rd

I don't use accountants but I appreciate the ideas.... i would just like to get this darn form sent away asap as I still have to go through CJ's other standing down peroid once that is sent. I never knew all about this before and it looks like I won't even receive my money for months if at all going by what else they said in the email....

How come I didnt have to go through all this crap with Linkshare, ShareAsale, Google etc etc?

"Once your tax form is on record and you become eligible for a payment, your account must be reviewed by our Network Quality department to make sure your publisher program is in compliance with the Code of Conduct and Publisher Service Agreement. Since there are many new publishers that join Commission Junction every month this process can take anywhere from 30 to 60 days (from the time you first become eligible for payment)."

ABW Ambassador
    I logged into CJ to see what is going on. I entered my local tax number in my account recently and I wonder if they are thinking this is a US number etc? There is no way to edit, delete or change it?

Well I'm going to fax it to them now and see what happens.

You wont be able to edit the tax number unless you email them.

W8 forms are easy. They're just a piece of paper to keep CJ out of trouble if the IRS in the USA ever asks them why they didn't withhold taxes for you. I would just put down the legal entity name you want the check made out to as the entity on the W8. If that's your business, and it's not incorporated, then the correct classification is "Disregarded Entity" (i.e. an entity legally equivalent to its owner in IRS lingo).
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    W8 forms are easy. They're just a piece of paper to keep CJ out of trouble if the IRS in the USA ever asks them why they didn't withhold taxes for you. I would just put down the legal entity name you want the check made out to as the entity on the W8. If that's your business, and it's not incorporated, then the correct classification is "Disregarded Entity" (i.e. an entity legally equivalent to its owner in IRS lingo).

thanks for the advice, yes I think that is better to use my business name, cheers and i will send it shortly...

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread