ABW Ambassador
    Thank you NSA!
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/29/na...tml?oref=login

By The Associated Press The National Security Agency's Internet site has been placing files on visitors' computers that can track their Web surfing activity despite strict federal rules banning most files of that type.

The files, known as cookies, disappeared after a privacy activist complained and The Associated Press made inquiries this week. Agency officials acknowledged yesterday that they had made a mistake.

Nonetheless, the issue raised questions about privacy at the agency, which is on the defensive over reports of an eavesdropping program.
    This is a non-event. It only put cookies on computers that visited the NSA site. It did not spy on other sites, track across sites etc. But people's reaction will be to further demonize cookies. Great. Thanks!

Chet

That was my exact reaction. more people will be deleting their cookies, now!!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Yet more irresponsible reporting. Funny thing is when I go to the AP site, it wants to set a cookie too. Maybe another reporter would like to report that the AP is tracking their visitors actions and violating their privacy. Or, better yet, maybe an article on what cookies really are and how the AP may be trying to create a scandal to get some headlines. It's a shame the reporter apparently had no idea whatsoever what they were reporting on. Who cares who gets harmed as long as they can get their story.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Great point, Greg. I remember a "news" story sometime in the past year or so (on WSJ.com?) talking about how bad cookies were. I emailed the author of the story pointing out that when I read his article, his site and advertisers set like half a dozen cookies.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar

Local coverage of this in Rochester was better. WHAM radio specifically stated in their story that a VAST majority of cookies actually improve the web surfers experience as opposed to being harmful.

This thread prompted me to send them a congratulatory email...

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the heads up... I just emailed the AP at info@ap.org

WOW you guys actually believe everything you read on the News. NYT is as credible as a person being forced to say something while a gun is pointed at their head.

Buy the NYT sometime and read how many corrections they have burried in the back.

I am glad there are people like all of you who know better.

The NYT just posted this article because they are a liberal media org. who wants to make everyone look bad.

C'mon Mike. You know it's not a question of us believing it. It's the general public, who doesn't know any better, that we are worried about.

I'll bet my Dad, 74, who got his first PC for Xmas this year, will call me and ask how to get rid of cookies on his machine.

You know WE'RE smarter than that. That's not the problem.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Darn - thought this was a post about the National Scrapbooking Association!

Just what affiliate marketing needs - more scaremongering over cookies...
    [FONT=Verdana][LEFT]Jennifer
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php?utm_id=2]Join[/URL] the Share Results Affiliate Network today!
    e. [EMAIL=jenniferk@shareresults.com]jenniferk@shareresults.com[/EMAIL]
    t. 514-849-8595
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]www.shareresults.com[/URL]
    "Proofread carefully to see if you any words out." William Safire[/LEFT][/FONT]

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i heard they're renaming them from cookies to daggers...

I work on a help desk where agents routinely tell people to delete their cookies. I'm trying to convince them they've got no business deleting people's cookies, but I'm fighting a losing battle.

ABW Ambassador
    Mike, it is an AP article and it is correct, the NSA admits to it. That is not the issue. And the article does nerf the dangers of cookies, one might want to read articles before blindly bashing them as being false because of their source. As for the policy violated and how helpful that is, well that is another story all together.

In fact the same article is on foxnews.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180082,00.html

Guess foxnews is nothing but liberal media bs...

Chet
    Last edited by chetf; December 30th, 2005 at 03:27 AM.

Just watched on CNN a Tutorial on how to delete cookies, using IE
    Now I can see people, for a little while, deleting cookies often, but they will get lazy and move on to the next thing.

Still not good for. The genral public needs to know more about washing out spyware and adware. Where is that on the news?

The CNN cast also gave a few pluses for cookies, but people are scared and pissed over the NSA their privicy violations

hmmm....bad vibe on this one
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

The answer is that eCommerce needs to come up with another way of crediting sales.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    The answer is that eCommerce needs to come up with another way of crediting sales.
    I was thinking the same
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Mike, it is an AP article and it is correct, the NSA admits to it. That is not the issue. And the article does nerf the dangers of cookies, one might want to read articles before blindly bashing them as being false because of their source. As for the policy violated and how helpful that is, well that is another story all together.

In fact the same article is on foxnews.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180082,00.html

Guess foxnews is nothing but liberal media bs...

Chet
    Thanks Chet... I hate it when people post stuff like:
    blah blah blah liberal media blah blah blah conspiracy blah blah blah panties twisted blah blah blah
    ...it just makes them look less credible than who they're trying to discredit...

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread