Utility Price Comparison
    Anyone aware of a utility price comparison affiliate program for the United States similar to the one Energy Helpline runs in the UK? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to publicly give up a niche that's making you a millionaire

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    link to uk deal so i can better grasp what you mean?

BTW Donuts, I'm not sure if I've mentioned this, but I love your sig.

Sig was Haiko and pal's doing, it's grown on me. :-)

I think what you're looking for is a tad different in the US. We're so much larger, geographically speaking, than the UK, that power companies hardly compete - you usually get what you get based on your address. But, there are similar services, but they're usually focused more on moving to a new area, than strictly comparing what's available in your area.

If you talk to merchants, these guys (who are somewhat unknown to consumers because they have so many faces and are very smooth at getting and contacting leads through MANY channels) move a ton of products in this marketing arena:

http://www.whitefence.com/corporate/providers.html

But they don't have an aff program that I know of... too bad! As good as they are at moving products and services, they could always use more traffic! Maybe one of the many OPMs here will contact them!

They have many faces on the net and via inbound & outbound call centers as well. Most consumers know at least one of their many faces... moveutilities, movecities, whitefence, etc.

If I were that OPM seeking out WhiteFence, I'd be salivating over the great spots where I could have folks put up those links...

real estate agent websites
    school websites (people check out schools when moving)
    title agencies
    home builders

and the cross polination goes deep!!! imagine you have a deal with the phone company in podunk, arizona - they should have a "moving here" page to get new arrivals signed up, but could also have aff links to the other services you'd need by handing new residents off to white fence

yeah, whitefence needs an aff program

thought of another one... movekey.com (also whitefence)

shizzle, i could stuff the manizzle out of some superpages with those links as well...

and my fellow abw'ers would get to work on seo'ing things like "10876 power" where 10876 is the person's new zip code...

and all those city guides that have naked (non-aff) links pointing to utilities and services... oh, the humanity!

and ApartmentGuide.com
    http://www.apartmentguide.com/moving/resource_guide.asp
    not being fully monetized...

(accent of Banya from Seinfeld...) That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

found a competitor to whitefence... with an aff program...

https://www.connectutilities.com/acc...Affiliate=True

but first time i've heard of them...

and there's always Cognigen...

(but I don't recommend them at all)

Sure sounds like a great idea for a site.

I know there are a some, but I'm not sure of a major national one. The Texas PUC has a comparison site for Texas, and I think some other states do similar things. There used to be one called ChooseEnergy.com (with an affiliate program on LinkShare), but I think they've been out of business or offline for a while.

The two tricks with a site like this are: 1) keeping it up to date and 2) monetizing it. Prices change regularly and there are hundreds of utilities. It's always best to monetize through the merchant (utility in this case), but some of the utilities are public and probably wouldn't pay to be listed. It's much tougher to charge the consumer. Plus, there's the complexity of charges. Some charge different rates depending on the amount of energy consumed. Some charge different rates at different times of the day. Some rates vary depending on zip code. It's tough to compare apples to apples.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks, guys, for the assistance. And it is a website for a real estate brokerage

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    And it is a website for a real estate brokerage
    Bahahahahahaaaaa! Who'd have guessed!

If find a good solution with tiers, guess you'll be busy contacting other sites...

:-)

As a brokerage, though, here's how we look at a program like the one Donuts found. We already promote several local vendors through a marketing program we offer here, so we would not want to add competition to those vendors.

However, if we could have it JUST utilities, and not cable, internet, or satellite, we'd do it.

Even if we weren't a realtor, why would you want to have someone sign up for satellite through an affiliate when you could sign them up through your OWN affiliate links and make way more?

Nonetheless, I'm asking them if we can just use the gas, electric, and water, but I'm assuming eliminating internet and satellite blows their profit model.

We'll see!

Yep, segmenting offers would be important to MANY sites. I smell opportunity.

A dynamic site, driven by whitefence or the connectutil folks, setup to allow choice by publisher / aff / siteowner of service types offered, would be very appealing to affiliate activity at a lot of places like yours.

Your aff code could dynamically choose your specified basket of services to appear...

Given how aff marketing works (meaning it's pay for performance, not pay up front), the profit model you mentioned that's in place, can be bent to fit affs needs.

And if those parties don't do it, someone will.

Given what I know of WhiteFence, they have the programming muscle and margins to do this kind if thing. Someone just needs to tell them that the affiliate community is interested and needing it.

Localization (your aff / site code driving local zip code results) and segmentation (your aff / site code driving choice of services offered) would be a big hit.

We certainly have the technology to connect all of these pieces and this would be a nice example of the magic of dynamic site construction.

Paging Andy Rodriguez.... Come in Dr. Rodriguez...

Andy and Asif could team up to create this puppy...

Followup: It may be because we are a brokerage, but ConnectUtility called me right away. I then ended up with a conference call with my contact and their Business Developer. So far, so good. If you have a moving related site, I would at least speak with them. They have been very helpful.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread