ABW Ambassador
    Buying from your own affiliate link ?
    How should one address the issue of buying through your own affiliate link ?
    Some merchants allow it while some don't.
    Is it good ? Is it recommended ? What do seasoned affiliates do ?
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newaff
    How should one address the issue of buying through your own affiliate link ?
    Some merchants allow it while some don't.
    Is it good ? Is it recommended ? What do seasoned affiliates do ?
    Speaking as a salty affiliate, not necessarily a well-seasoned one, I use my own links. Sometimes I get commission, sometimes not but at least I know where to find the link to where I want to shop. ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    but at least I know where to find the link to where I want to shop.
    I totally agree
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    Sometimes I get commission, sometimes not
    Does it happen even with the merchants who allow self-purchases or only with those who don't ?
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newaff
    Does it happen even with the merchants who allow self-purchases or only with those who don't ?
    Amazon deducts it at the end of the Q - all others I assume allow it if I'm getting paid. I don't really check before I buy. If I want something, I'll buy it and a commission is a nice little discount. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I almost always buy through my own links. Amazon is the only one I can think of that doesn't allow you to do that, (although I'm sure there are others).

Some of the exceptions:

1) If I know that the merchant doesn't allow buying through your own links (like Amazon), I buy through the affiliate links on another site (if I think about it).

2) If I found the link through another affiliate site, I usually buy through that site even if I am an affiliate. If they're presenting the information in a way that I found it through their site instead of my own, they deserve the sale.

3) If I'm not a member of the affiliate program but I know they have one, I usually check a few of my favorite sites to see if they are affiliate and I buy through their affiliate links.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

One more reason to buy from your links is to verify that sales are being tracked properly.

Mondera affiliate who purchase for there own use, will get a discount on the item they buy during that period if applicable... followed by their commission end of the month for the sales they generated ...double bonanza...
    Cheers,

Harry.
    Mondera Affiliate Manager
    http://www.mondera.com/affiliate_support/
    Winner of the LinkShare 2004 Golden Link Awards "Affiliate's Choice Award"
    Winner of the 2002 Abestweb.com "Best Affiliate Program Award"

I allow affiliates to use not abuse shopping on their affiliate link and collecting a commission. 1st let me clarify "Abuse" because it is hard to be penalized for abuse. Our company track affiliates orders and if an Affiliate, over a 4 month period, have several 'self' orders and not sending any traffic or producing sells then they will be notified that they will no longer receive a commission for their own orders and be urge to promote or program or face being dropped completely.

I think Merchants should allow Affiliates to shop their own links and collect a commission. It's like having an employee discount it doesn't hurt but it sure can help. My best sales people are people who uses my products, because they relate the experience to others.

Affiliate Manager
    Thumbs up
    My best sales people are people who uses my products, because they relate the experience to others.
    I totally agree! Letting potential buyers know that you have used the website you are recomending, lets them know you trust the merchants you promote. I would fully support my affiliates purchasing an item through our links on their website.

Jennifer

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread