ABW Ambassador
    Need advice
    Hi,

I wrote a book and hope to sell it.

Yes, I'm using affiliate marketing to sell this book, through cafepress affiliate program. I announced it at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=67779

I started this website http://www.sfxfantasy.com/

If this site can sell the book, then the last affiliate that referred the book within the past 30 days would get credit for the sale, as long as the cafepress cookies are still intact.

Am I on the right track?

Now here is the problem.
    How can I get my site to help close the sale?

I need some advice on sales conversion. How can I use that site to help push sales?

Please help

Thanks

You might take a look at something called split testing. The basic idea is to make two versions of a page on your site and track which one produces the best. If you really like that idea then you can go on to something more complicated, like simultaneous multiple parallel split test marketing. It may look like a but it works.

Ray

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks.

How do I track which page makes a sale. My www.sfxfantasy.com site is a support site for the actual cafepress store.

I do not want to put in affiliate codes into my product links as I do not want to override the affiliate's cookie. Without the affiliate codes, is there a way to tell which page made the sale at cafepress?

You asked for some advice....So here it is. Have you ever heard the phrase "selling is not telling?" it is a broad statement but it is true. Your website tells me about your book but it doesn't do anything to sell me or convince me to buy it (give you my money).

let me clarify my selling vs. telling approach.

I tried to reduce this from a chapter to a couple of paragraphs.

Lets say you are hungry and want to go out to eat, so you look up a restaurant in the Yellowbook. You finds hundreds of listing of places to eat. The book gives an address phone number and a breif description of each place. You see "Chinese food" and think "I like chinese- sounds good to me" but you see dozens of restaurants. So what do you do? you scan until you find something familiar because nothing pops out at you. You see an ad for "Hong Kong Palace" and you ate there before so you decide to go there--the end. This is a waste of time for new restaurants trying to get new customers because this is an example of "telling". The salesman was all the restaurants Ad spaces in the Yellowbook.

okay...now same scenario, you're hungry and want to go out a friend told you about this new chinese restaurant downtown that he took his in-laws to and they had excellent foods and service, plus they have this free drink hour for 1st time customers.
    and the wait was gaurantee seating in 15 minutes. You think Heck yeah I'll try that place. This is an example of "selling" the salesman was the friend who refered you.

Websites can be either like a "Yellowbook" (the majority) or a "Friend's referral" (the successful few)
    You can tell them about your book - or - you can give them on the reason why they need to buy it, read it, love it and refer it to their friends or group.

Now, I can go on for hours about selling your product vs. telling or just showing.

I would suggest you google: Maria Veloso, Rick Miller or Kevin Wilke
    These people are good "web copy writers and teachers"
    Remember, the world revolves around sells

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. I think that is the nagging problem about my site.

I really got to work on how to write to sell. To think my background is in AM and I know nuts about copywriting.

Gonna get myself some decent copywriting books tomorrow and learn the ropes.

By the way, how do you get reviews for a book?
    Last edited by womanht; January 2nd, 2006 at 02:59 AM.

There is a good book by Maria Veloso called "Webcopy that sells" This s my personal recommendation I'm not a co-author so I don't make any money from referring you to her book. I like it because it personally changed my view on life and lead me down a very sucessful path of seeking more knowledge.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread