Who is the eBay, Amazon, CafePress, et al. of China?
    Hi there,
    For a variety of reasons I'm looking for the Chinese equiv. of eBay, Amazon, and so on. With affiliate programs of course... Businesses with their manufacturing and shipping based inside the country are preferred, but not essential. Any other comments, experiences, or suggestions regarding affiliate program participation in that neck of the woods is very welcome.

Cheers,
    John

Cool
    here, in English, we use something like a search in google.com for a term plus "affiliate".

how's your Chinese? the search engine of official choice there seems to be baidu.com (which accepts English, but to what degree I don't know)(yet)

I'm going to assume this was probably facetious and pass on replying with anything other than "Thanks for your effort". I'm looking for people with experiences they can share and discuss; if I wanted search engine results I'd use that newfangled google.com thing you speak of!

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    here, in English, we use something like a search in google.com for a term plus "affiliate".

how's your Chinese? the search engine of official choice there seems to be baidu.com (which accepts English, but to what degree I don't know)(yet)

15 years and counting
    Herb, that search engine baidu.com seems to be pretty powerful. I searched for the names of my websites and I found several site copiers.
    No small affiliates, but established companies.
    It's always nice to do business with China.
    They even have like PPC ads where some are bidding on my Affiliate websites names.

>>>I'm going to assume this was probably facetious <<<

it was not.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Herb, that search engine baidu.com seems to be pretty powerful. I searched for the names of my websites and I found several site copiers.
    No small affiliates, but established companies.
    It's always nice to do business with China.
    They even have like PPC ads where some are bidding on my Affiliate websites names.
    quite an engine; I believe it is a google product with CN government approval. Anyone asks me about Chinese business I ask them first how they intend to converse. It is a matter of respect over there.

and I bet www.baidu.com/addurl is what it looks like . . .
    Last edited by Herb ԿԬ; January 3rd, 2006 at 09:38 PM.

My apologies, I misinterpreted. I am doing quite a bit of research and have a model that is merchant-driven, content-wise, rather than driven by one or more content sites that I'd have to operate. Regarding the language barrier, I intend on hiring a multilingual "liason" to guide me through the perils of translation. Again, I'm very sorry I mistook your original comment. I've read that there are almost 40 ways to say "I", in some form, in Chinese, and here I am misinterpreting my own native language. You ask apt questions.

Regarding Baidu, Google does have apx. a 2.5% ownership stake in the company, though it is not a Google product. Google does operate it's own site, though it's not gaining much ground, at google.com.cn. As for others, eBay has a healthy chinese division, and Yahoo bought into Alibaba for about $1B. Curiously, the ruckus over Google hiring away top Microsoft talent was one of the symptoms of Google's advances into offering more services there. Seems everyone wants a piece. Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    quite an engine; I believe it is a google product with CN government approval. Anyone asks me about Chinese business I ask them first how they intend to converse. It is a matter of respect over there.

and I bet www.baidu.com/addurl is what it looks like . . .

am I correct if I say that if you can read Japanese you can read Chinese even if you don't understand it when you hear it? I remember we've had some discussions here in the past about affiliates and programs in Japan being very active.

what I'm getting at is that there may be some crossover with purchases being made in China from the Japanese merchant affiliate links. Shipping might be easier or more practical in those cases.

slightly OT: we've had a Chinese member of this forum recently asking affiliate management questions here for the sake of his employer. No idea what they sell, though.

This is a very interesting subject; I wish I had the resources to do something with it myself.

A couple of thoughts on China Affiliates
    Can the Chinese read Japanese text?

For the most part, that would be true but it is not an exact fit.

What about Google and Baidu?

Yes, Google does own a small stake in Baidu but Baidu and Google.cn have absolutely NO RELATIONSHIP.

While some speculate that Google should buy out Baidu, it probably has little chance of happening as the government already highly regulates the foreign search companies and does not really want Baidu in foreign hands. For now, Google must make headway on its own and they, MSN and Yahoo (via its relationship with Alibaba.com's founder and "father of the China internet" Jack Ma) are going to spend some large sums to do so.

Baidu is powerful as the clear market leader in China but it also attracts a very different audience, skewed more younger and less financially empowered than those of Google.cn or Yahoo. Much more variability at this stage than say the difference between Yahoo, MSN & Google in the U.S. or other mature markets.

Just my 2 cents.

T.R.

am I correct if I say that if you can read Japanese you can read Chinese even if you don't understand it when you hear it?
    I read japanese. Walking around on the street, signs in chinese generally make sense. But these are usually abbreviated, Things like restaurant, bank, etc. Newspaper headlines are easy enough to understand. Reading complex text is another matter. Japanese uses borrowed chinese characters which have similar meanings most of the time, but not always. And there is also a set of additional characters used to implement japanese grammar, which chinese does not use. As a reader of japanese, its very cofusing to me to try to get the true nuances of written chinese. I have no idea about the grammar without those additional characters. Chinese grammar is not the same anyway. I suspect the same is true for chinese trying to read written japanese with all those meaningless charaters scattered around.

A website for chinese needs to be done in proper chinese language using the correct character set (traditional-Taiwan or simplified-PRC). The written languages may look similar to westerners, but they are very different. Using an expert for translation is the best way to go. I'll just caution webmasters to stay away from computer translation. They can make some very embarassing interpretations.

With the mainland chinese market exploding, you all have got me pumped up. Maybe I'll consider looking into doing business there like Johnm.
    ray

11. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread