15 years and counting
    Stolen Meta Tags
    I was wondering why I had so many hits from "The Office of the President" Republic of ******. (Country in Asia)
    Their webmaster stole all my Meta Tags, Description, ... , even Keywords. They kept my tracking codes too, so I can follow them.
    They must be wondering now, why Google is listing 1 Jan 2006 their web site with the description of one of my websites. Considering what I'm selling, it's pretty weird.
    (Who said Google doen't use MetaTags?)

Zeus,

The only tag I know that they use is the description for the description that would display as the default description, and maybe the title tag as well. When a specific keyword match pulls up the page...the description will have changed..i believe.

what type of tracking code is alowing you to find the copycat? Is it just the fact they display in a search result?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    you never know what google is using and what they arent using..

15 years and counting
    My custom tracking system is giving me (at least) the following information in real time:
    Visitor Info
    Contact ID: Bhsnt***.***.org
    City: San Francisco
    Organization: ***.BRKMC
    ISP: Global Crossing
    Connection Type: Cable/DSL
    Time Zone America/Los_Angeles
    IP 208.48.***.*
    Host Bhsnt***.***.org
    State/Province California
    Current Page http://www.***.com/***.htm
    Title: "The Office of the President" Republic of ******
    Referrer: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=***...***
    # of pages: 12
    Navigation: http://www.***.com/***.htm
    Browser Firefox 1.0.4
    Cobrowse Support

I've a dedicated screen where I can follow my traffic for all my websites and see the referrers, search engines, other websites...
    In that case I saw "The Office of the President" Republic of ****** as the title of one of my pages. I've none with such a title. I've just to click on the keyword given by Google to see the listing showing up for one of my keywords (not related to any Presidency)
    Once you know the offender, it's easy to check their code.

Their page is ranking well for some of my keywords, and for their own title. The description of their site is exactly what's inside my own tag: meta name="description" content="***"

And I assure you, it's not going to help the guy "or the gal" for a reelection.

Zues,

that's some sweet tracking you have going on there...did you build it yourself or is it a statistical suite added to your server?

15 years and counting
    It's something coded a long time ago. I had a friend working at MindSpring in Atlanta at that time. He was a big help. MindSpring was a pionnier for web hosting, tracking... smart people screwed by Earthlink after a few years.
    I'm sure you can find good tracking systems now. The information is available in your logs but to have it in real time on a dedicated screen with stats and to be able to follow the path of your visitors is a real bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    (Who said Google doesn't use MetaTags?)
    I keep saying that G**gle keeps on gathering...and gathering...and gathering. It's their thing, and they will gather all they can. It doesn't surprise me at all that they might have scarfed up your meta tags. How they use them is the real key. Then there are these clowns that copied your site info (that's another story.)

Pretty soon they will gather the tire pressure of everyone's SUV through the on-board computer in the vehicle. (Sounds like I'm joking, doesn't it?)

And everyone is worried about the government having too much information.

Fred

One solution...
    Out of curiosity, are you talking about info you cull from visitors to your site(s) or the fact that someone has copied your meta-info to their pages on a different site? If a different site, how would your server be able to "track" info from there since the pages wouldn't be on your server?

I suppose one way would be to use a graphic counter that will report info back to you, like the one used by free web counter sites like Stat Counter. In fact, it must be a technique similar to that if you're receiving info from pages not on your server.
    Last edited by Proverb; January 3rd, 2006 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Gave it some thought

15 years and counting
    I said in my first post "Their webmaster stole all my Meta Tags, Description, ... , even Keywords. They kept my tracking codes too, so I can follow them. "
    They did a cut and paste of one of my page, then they removed all the content to replace it by theirs. They kept my meta tags replacing only the title, and my tracking script embedded in the bottom of my (their) page.
    This script is still linked to my server.

ok now i'm real confused...sounds like they can't code there way out of a paper bag, but what is the point of stealing your meta and such unless they plan to somehow use your tracking and such to hurt your indexing?

Have you sent a email to abuse for the server and who ever sold to the server's admin in the case it's a reseller or something.

if they are just using the graphics that may still remain, block hotlinking and they will go blank, except for the text they added, your script and such

can you post the url?

15 years and counting
    I did nothing and I'm not doing anything. I think their webmaster was just too lazy to make his own Meta Tags and he didn't understand the use of my script. By the traffic I'm seeing I know they are aware of the problem.
    They must be in a hurry to remove this description from Google. The President of that country has to be mad. (if he's looking at his own website)
    It was a stupid mistake from their side, they are not trying to steal my graphics, content or traffic.
    It's a pretty big country (with many extremists) so I don't really want to mess with them or be accused of sabotage. One way of an other that url leads to my site.

I hear you on the extremists...I have one site that has blocked 1/2 of europe and asia from even seeing it ;-) hackers and java bots, that I don't have time to babysit

I hope this is resolved quickly for you!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread