Google Monitor - what's up with it?
    Yesterday I ran searches to check rankings for three of my websites - using the Google Monitor - and the results almost gave me a heart attack. NOT LISTED was the result for all of them......

Then I went to Google, typed in "Russian gift", "Russian gifts", etc, etc, and found out that I'm all good.

What's up with the Monitor? Is there a newer version to be used to display the true results? Anyone?

BTW, I have just tried running the searches once again (using the Monitor). Same results. Nothing!

Anyone experienced the same?

Geno

I'm not familiar with Google Monitor but the results you get there depend on what datacenter they are polling for their results.

Google has a bunch of them and some of their results are more widespread than others. If you do a google search and place your mouse over any of the cached page links it will show you the ip address of the datacenter being used for your search in the status bar(lower left corner of browser.)

Their is another tool that checks different datacenters its url is mcdar.net I believe. They have a bunch of position checkers on that site.

I'm giving up on checking my position for awhile and focusing on making pages again.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Google Monitor is an application that you install on your computer... Been working well for me until just recently...

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    Google Monitor is an application that you install on your computer... Been working well for me until just recently...
    we hear of google building portable datacenters.

it is possible they've brought new ones online with IP numbers that the Monitor hasn't found out about yet. (??)

also:
    the index files that the datacenters use seem to be switched constantly by Google in an attempt to come up with an overall index that carries the maximum number of legitimate sites (in their estimation). Results seem to change with each change of wind direction (or underwear, lately.)

somewhere in their system is/are index files that put your sites near the top of results, and other files that don't know you.

My opinion: there still are only so many (8.4+ billion) site pages their computers can handle under their current configuration and coding and they're not ready to handle some more digits with which to expand so they are fiddling with indexes that are maxed out, looking for the ideal.

perhaps right now it is a juggling act.

I'm not amused, either.

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    For an alternative to the Google Monitor which you mention: http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

Thanks, PreacherMan! Looks very similar to what Suz suggested. Any good "offline" alternatives?

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread