Google -old pages
    Does anyone know how one clears out old pages from Google? I just added a google search on my site and when you search from my url a lot of old pages turn up.

Try here for starters

Good luck,

vege...

Thanks
    Thanks Vegemite I will give it a shot

I have been working on this the past few days. Here's what I have learned:

Don't submit a removal request to google. If the page is removed, it will only be removed for 180 days. Google never really ever deletes anything, just stores it somewhere outside the index.

Instead, use your htaccess file to tell the bots that the file has moved.

One recommended way was to removed all content from the file except for a statement that the page has moved along with a link to the new page. Use an H1 tag for the statement and important keywords for the link to the new page. Add a link to the old page on a page that you know google is actively crawling so that it will crawl the old page and get to the new page. (If you use google sitemaps, make sure to update the old page with a new last modified date).

Leave the old page up for awhile 10days or more till you know that google has crawled that page several times. Then place a permanent redirect in your htaccess file to the new page, remove the link to the old file from whatever page you had placed it on. and finally, remove the page.

IMHO, it's always better to redirect the bots to an active page on your site instead of just deleting the page and telling them to go away.

If you possibly can, instead of going through all those steps, rework the page without changing the file name and then get google to crawl it for fresh content. It's already in the index which is half the battle nowadays.

Suzie
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Thanks Suzie 250. I have 160 links that are now dead. Google will have to start deleting soon as they are saving bad links are they not?

I just did a search on Google and found that there are 550 sites with myurl.com
    in them. What does this mean Suzie and how did this happen? I really want to clean up all the garbage.
    Last edited by mailman; January 5th, 2006 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Live link

ABW Ambassador
    mailman, did you try blocking the bots from those pages with robots.txt ? Also no archive meta tag ?
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

I just did a search on Google and found that there are 550 sites with myurl.com
    I'm confused by your question. Are you talking about websites linking to your site?
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread