Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Any good alternatives to J.C. Whitney?
    I have managed to reduce traffic to them to some 38K clicks last year ( converting at a new low of 540 to 1 ) but really, really need to find a different merchant for my traffic. Any suggestions?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I've avoided JC Whitney like the plague due to the way they treated me as a customer many, many years ago. I got a catalog from them in the mail, saw a bunch of stuff I liked, and mailed in my order. (Yes, it was that long ago. I didn't even own a PC!) On their order form was an option to "subscribe" to their catalog for a year (4 issues, I think) for $1. I paid for that, too. I got my shipment. I got my credit card bill. They overcharged me. I called to find out why, and they had price changes on four items. Three went up and one went down. But here's the real kicker. They didn't charge me the new prices on everything. They charged me the HIGHER of the old and new price! The product whose price went down went through at the old, higher price. The three products whose prices went up went thorugh at the new, higher price. A couple months later, I got my first catalog from my paid "subscription". It had a big sticker on it saying "If you don't order, this will be your last catalog!" That was the last catalog I received. Not that I would have ordered from them again anyway.

They cheated me out of a few bucks, but it has cost them quite a bit over the years. I've never bought from them again and never plan to. I've never promoted them (except for a little while after they acquired another car parts company I was promoting).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    AutoAnything, Drivewerks, some others. You would have to try them out and see what works for you. They work for me but so does JCWhitney - 1 sale for every 34 clicks in 2005.

15 years and counting
    Michael, I'm seeing a new side of your personality. You don't like to be scr@wed. Good, I don't like it, either.
    I've been a successful affiliate of JC Whitney, a long long time ago. I didn't know much how they were treating their customers. I placed an order only once to check them out and it was fine. They had a great affiliate manager, one of the first on ABW. I made money, I've been paid. He left and it was a disaster. They made a choice to work with parasites. Too bad. Just an other dumb merchant.
    I gave up on that vertical a few years ago.

It's pretty rare that I hold a grudge like that (never with a person), and it could have just been a fluke or they might have changed since then, but the experience left a lasting impression on me. You just can't treat customers like that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    I have managed to reduce traffic to them to some 38K clicks last year ( converting at a new low of 540 to 1 ) but really, really need to find a different merchant for my traffic. Any suggestions?
    Yeah, forget car parts and sell bulbs instead!

Seriously, no suggestions. I never could get any of the other parts places to convert worth a darn, and when Whitney stopped converting too, that whole category went dead for me...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    If you want to be taken seriously by car enthusiasts, you'll stay far far away from JC Whitney. They're a joke and the people who spend a lot on their cars know better. As a customer, I wasn't treated well either.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread