Getting started with a blog?
    Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on how to incorporate a blog into my website. What's the best route to go if I want to include a blog as an added site feature, per se? I'd like to be able to set it up internally, as in blog.mydomain.com.

Any thoughts or tips? Would Moveable Type be a good way to go? I'm familiar with the blogging process when it comes to blogger, etc., but I don't know how to incorporate one into an existing site.

Thanks in advance!

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Gingerbread,

Though movable type is a good one but I personally like wordpress more. Installing wordpress is a breeze (they have just launched wordpress 2.0 recently).
    If your host has fantastico enabled, then it takes just 3 clicks to install it.
    If your host supports sub-domain, then setting it up at blog.yourdomain.com would not be a problem at all.
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

I took a look at Wordpress, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like my web host is going to make setup very easy.

I ended up just going with Blogger, since I know the interface. Hopefully this wasn't a bad move on my part, although only time will tell, I guess.

Thanks for the advice, newaff!

YOU could move to a host with cpanel and fantastico... there are many realiable ones for less then $10 per month...

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

ABW Ambassador
    I ended up just going with Blogger, since I know the interface.
    Remember, when you host your blog with blogger, you are loosing a bit of control. there have been some stories when google has deleted some blogger hosted content.
    if you are just starting out, blogger may be good but I prefer having full control over my content from the beginning itself. imho
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

newaff: do you mean that Google has stopped indexing certain Blogger content? Hmmm - I didn't know about that, but it's definitely something to consider.

my2cents: I may look into switching hosts down the line. At the moment I'm enjoying my free professional package that I got via a promo at 1and1.com a couple of years ago, but I'm sure I could swing $10/month for the ability to use Wordpress, etc. Is there any particular host that you would recommend?

ABW Ambassador
    do you mean that Google has stopped indexing certain Blogger content?
    no, I wasn't suggesting that. sorry if I sounded that way. Google hasn't stopped indexing the blogger content.
    what I wanted to say was that I have read a couple of instances where google had deleted blogs hosted on blogger (and the original author did not get back the content)
    of course, those were spam blogs so I am not saying that would happen with you assuming that you are not going the splog way
    however, the main advantage when you host it yourself is that you actually "own" the content - you are not dependant if later google decides to make some modification to its blogger policies.

also, as you would start adding content to the blog, you would realize that its value is certainly more than $10 per month (which would be the cost of any reasonable host with cpanel)
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    SEO Benifits of Seperate URL Domains for your Blog vs. same URL's?
    I'd suggest wordpress as well for it gives you the freedom to control your blog. Always make sure to keep your blog on your domain. I've talked with some strong sites that kept there blog on a seperate urls such as typepad. This hurts the benifits of all the links you could gain from a content rich blog.

However, I have seen some ecommerce sites that keep a blog on a seperate url as a way to do link swaps to get links to their ecommerce site.

What would you suggest?

good luck blogging !
    Last edited by MichaelColey; February 22nd, 2006 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Removed Manual Signature

I'd recommend WordPress as well, many of my customers use it and I rarely get any complaints about script errors etc... As others suggested switching to a host with cPanel/Fantastico would be the way to go if you want easy installation. As far as using a sub-domain, if your homepage has good traffic and pagerank, you might be better off using a directory i.e. http://yourdomain.com/blog.

I've hosted my blogs on Blogger since 2001.
    I am happy with Blogger
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Rhia7,

blogger is good but do give a try to wordpress too. You would love it
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

And don't forget to list your blog and promote it
    on www.blogexplosion.com.

You can buy 500 hits for $5.50 and get your blog seen.

--Wes

I too would recommend WordPress. cPanel & Fantastico do make it a breeze (I added WP blogs to 3 sites last night in just a short time).

The WordPress site and community give excellent help and clear instructions on setting it up on your own. I've set it up on my own & modified the templates just by following instructions and tinkering around.

You can do it too! Have faith in yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by newaff
    Rhia7,

blogger is good but do give a try to wordpress too. You would love it
    Does that only come with Fantastico?
    I don't think 1 & 1 includes Fantastico yet.

1 & 1 has a good newsletter program but I think I must find blogging software independently. Can one download it off the web or something?

Thanks for the tip
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    It comes with fantastico as well and can be setup independently too.
    just download it from wordpress site and you can install it at your site
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread