Froogle improved product comparison?
    I just had a visitor come from froogle and I checked just to see what was going on.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cl...coring=p&hl=en

Wow a whole new look.... froogle cluster?

Has this been around or did I just find something new?

Poop Meister
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

ABW Ambassador
    I noticed it too and was wondering the same thing ?
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Reminds me of Yahoo!'s shopping portal.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

What I'd like to know is why there is so much amazon affiliate link spam in there. Some things (mostly noticed it in computer-related things) have several screens of spamola before you get to anything useful. SOMEONE (and possibly just one person since they mostly have the same associate id) has figured out how to spam froogle.

I've also seen some others that do have their own site, but seem to have successfully included ebay spam pages in their froogle feed.

Bad google. No cookie for you.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

The merchant ratings are coming from Shopzilla. Does this mean a merger in the works? Or has this something to do with the AOL/Google handshake?
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It not Amazon, Shopzilla/Bizrate Spam as the top positions go to those most likely to close targeted traffic.... based upon shared insider info on conversion ratios. Conversions breed shopper loyality as the best indicator of the sweet spot in trust/product/price. http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...&lmode=unknown or http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...&lmode=unknown

Why wouldn't the smart folks in affiliate marketing be willing to spend their own money to drive buyers to their best converting merchants. Few posting at ABW ever listen to uncover the honest advice I pass out here. Funny Amazon staff, Google Staff, AOL staff, Bizrate Staff all get the message immediately upon research and closed door discussions. Unlike this boards reactions to my alternative of the broken advertising affiliate network model the Froogle/AOL group are giving serious consideration to my Safe Haven Network sales model. So simple ...so real.. so consumer oriented even legal can't see any drawbacks. What's the chance Google/Froogle can't come up with a working multi-merchant ecommerce backend as they test the waters with existing legit drop ship middlemen. Urchin and Adwords shows the winners and AOL is drooling over a private labeled hi-bred offering for their gated shopping community. When merchants are forced to compete head to head without the advertising white noise ... Google knows their Froogle customers will be pleased with the stacked choices. Stacked by conversion ratio with a heavy Adwords exposure tax for those with sideline seats.

Damn this should be a great year for ecommerce with the pure play advertisers getting the stuck with all the bills.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by jrrl
    What I'd like to know is why there is so much amazon affiliate link spam in there. Some things (mostly noticed it in computer-related things) have several screens of spamola before you get to anything useful. SOMEONE (and possibly just one person since they mostly have the same associate id) has figured out how to spam froogle.

I've also seen some others that do have their own site, but seem to have successfully included ebay spam pages in their froogle feed.

Bad google. No cookie for you.

-John.
    google base (base.google.com) has the same showing. some affils of amazon have posted items but buried a page with the amazon.com link one layer below the page they are showing in their listing. I'm sure other merchants' offerings are being listed that way also.

I do agree that the Froogle interface has improved quite a bit, but it's still got a lot of problems. It's nowhere near as efficient or regulated as Bizrate, Shopping.com or Pricegrabber. It seems like they have a problem determining the authenticity of the data in their system. They certainly need to step that up. I've never really worried about Froogle as my competition because the site really doesn't impress me as a consumer. An affiliate with a strong programming background can build something better and more useful. It's still got that Google search engine flavor which doesn't translate well to retail sales. I believe the major price comparison engines still have an edge because of their strong retail focus.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    the site really doesn't impress me as a consumer.
    One of the few times I agree with Snib. Froogle's got all the retail excitement of a box o' rocks. I think some of those people who make the templates that go with spam software could do as well of a job, when it comes to the look and feel. Well, almost as good. They usually don't bother with pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by EcomCity
    When merchants are forced to compete head to head without the advertising white noise
    Advertsing isn't "white noise." It's what changes the "maybes" into "YESses!"

Froogle might be able to move a few suspenders, but from experience, I can tell you, you won't sell tulip the first that way!

the top positions go to those most likely to close targeted traffic.... based upon shared insider info on conversion ratios.
    Wrong; that analysis is too simplistic!

1) You're leaving off half the equation: Sales environment/look and feel affects what (if anything) will sell. What THAT traffic will buy, isn't what the traffic from other sites (with a different setup) will buy. Not getting any conversions from THERE doesn't mean that the merchant's no good.

2). This is a biggie! Not every merchant puts the Froogle conversion tracking on. Nor does every merchant use Urchin. I, for one, wouldn't let that place anywhere near my stats! And, normal market diversification means that there will be several merchants that their Urchin net misses.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread