Question batteries.com wants exclusive promotion
    I was glad to see they came to CJ, albeit suddenly, but on reading the fine print of the acceptance email I note they say don't promote their competition.

Did they convert well enough for anyone while at LS? Enough so that you'd want to dump any others?

My best performing merchant (not batteries) is one that won't let me advertise the competition. Sometimes it does work out to our advantage and that of the merchant. But not always.

Glad you mentioned this as I did not read the fine print.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

well, just looked at their letter again and they have five layers of affiliate status. Exclusivity and placement determine your commission percentage.

So I was wrong about the conditions. It is possible to promote them alongside others but if you don't you make out better.

There's a lot more fine print there, too.

why do I get the feeling that if you don't produce right away they'll put you on the drop list?

I promoted them at LS, and they didn't convert for me at all. After a year or so, I dropped them.

Andy

Cool
    I'll give them a few months more. Just looked at their creatives and most of what I see sells batteries.com, not batteries per se. I do hate to see a company url in an ad on my sites.

If they get new creatives and put product links in the mix they'll look better to me.

You know there are TONS of companies with affiliate programs that sell batteries, right?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I promoted them, but even their sale prices couldn't beat most of the deals at amazon, so nowadays I mostly promote them at amazon.

Hi everyone,

We have tried to restructure our affiliate program so that there is more opportunity for our affiliates. We do not demand that you promote use exclusively, but perhaps feature us over the others, or highlight us. We tried to make is simple to make it to the other statuses, we don't want it to be impossible. We also de realize that not everyone has the ablity to feature that is also why we offered a front page listing. I want you as affiliates to be able to get the most out of our program, and no one will be dropped if you do not convert well. If you are not converting well or producing (either well or not at all) then you will be hearing from me personally. I will discuss with you why you may not be converting or driving traffic, and we will work together to find a solution. Please do not hesistate to email or even call me. I will attach my contact information in my next newsletter for those who do not have it.

The last thing I would like to say is if you have a problem or concern with something in the program please let me know so that we can talk about it. I saw someone mention problems with the creative, that's fine, but talk to and tell me what you are looking for. I pushed up as many banners as I could in a VERY short amount of time. It normally takes 2 weeks to prepare and launch an affiliate program and I did it in under a week so there would be no downtime for the prpgram. The creative that launched is just a starting point, and there will be more available. If you have specific things you like to see, drop me a line. I am looking forward to speaking with you all ....

Kristin

Cool
    Kristin, nice to see your replies. Moving a program is certainly no fun.

But please work on those creatives. Not all of us want to splash batteries.com's logo on our pages -- we feel the visitors will bypass us when they see it.

Could you give me more specifics of what types of creative you are looking for as far as artwork and sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by batteries
    Could you give me more specifics of what types of creative you are looking for as far as artwork and sizes.
    standard sizes like 468x60, some verticals (120x600 comes to mind) and being batteries one could probably make some electrifying moving .gifs.

DRMs or banners and/or text links that always point to the latest "deal."

banners that lead to specific product lines.

same for text links. In fact, allow us to aim text links at specific pages at batteries.com using CJ's advanced features.

and speaking of CJ: any product links going to appear soon?

What about the toll free number and live help? Do you plan on setting it up so that we get credit for purchases other than through the checkout. I do real well with batteries and related items but I really don't want to send traffic to a site that cannot or will not give the publisher credit for sales we generate.

Quote Originally Posted by zendozen
    What about the toll free number and live help? Do you plan on setting it up so that we get credit for purchases other than through the checkout. I do real well with batteries and related items but I really don't want to send traffic to a site that cannot or will not give the publisher credit for sales we generate.
    This is an excellent question. Some Merchants have said that they have issues with giving affiliates commission on phone orders.

The issue (they say) is that they have to pay in-house phone reps a commission on phone orders, and with slim margins they will be unable to pay both affiliates and in-house reps on the same order.

Your thoughts Kristin? What will be your policy?

Thanks,

Fred

We do not have a policy in place for this situation as of yet, but the question has come up a number of times. This is something I need to discuss with our call center as far as how to tackle getting the referral affiliates information. It is something I plan on implementing into the program. My question for you is how would we would handle getting the info, by website? by some other information? As I am sure you know I have LOTS of affiliates, and I will be manually putting these sales, I am going to need the easiest way to identify the affiliates that need credit to there sales. Maybe added at the end of the month?

Let me know your thoughts. I am also going to be opening up several IM accounts with AOL, yahoo, and msn that all of my affiliates are more than welcome to contact me on to discuss anything that you would like.

I would also like to pose another question. What types of prizes and competitions would you like to see?

Thanks everyone,

Kristin

If your system is using actual LiveHelp software there are many ways of setting it up, including NOT to pop on an incoming affiliate link visit. I understand there are other buttons that can be pushed, also. That is, if.

We will be working on this over the next week or two.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread