ABW Ambassador
    SEO restrictions taken to a new level
    From Brooks Brothers additional Terms & Conditions that they just sent out an email reminder to make sure and agree to. Take note of the part I bolded in the agreement:

Publisher may not use Brooks Brothers' name, or any variation thereof, in any manner not expressly authorized by this Agreement. In particular, Publisher may NOT post Brooks Brothers sales, promotions or coupons on its site without Brooks Brothers' prior written consent or as expressly provided in this Agreement; Publisher may NOT use Brooks Brothers' name, or any variation thereof, in metatags; Publisher may NOT use Brooks Brothers' name, or any variation thereof, in hidden text or source code; Publisher may NOT use Brooks Brothers' name, or any variation thereof, in its domain or sub-domain; Publisher may NOT engineer its site in such a manner that pulls Internet traffic away from Brooks Brothers; Publisher may NOT purchase any keywords on search sites related to Brooks Brothers or any variation thereof, without prior written authorization.
    Like the soup-nazi on Seinfeld: NO SEO FOR YOU!!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Publisher may NOT use Brooks Brothers' name, or any variation thereof, in hidden text or source code;
    Groan. All "source code" is hidden. And judging from the rest of the letter you posted, that indeed should be interpreted as: Don't use Brooks Brothers' name in any spider-findable way, on any web pages!

Bah to them. Glad I didn't sign up for that.

Places with Terms like that always make me want to promote their competitors. In this case, that'd be on a page which would say, repeatedly, how much better Site B is than Brooks Brothers. In such a way that said page comes up #1. Under "Brooks Brothers."

Too bad clothes aren't my thing at all.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

With terms and conditions like that it makes you wonder why they even bother having an affiliate program. Obviously they don't want to encourage their affiliates to make any sales. I dropped them a long time ago as they were just taking up valuable space on my site.

Cut to the chase...

We want you to post banners that will do nothing more than help us market our brand name.

At least the products aren't all named Brooks this or that, but who's going to pay 65 bucks for a shirt that doesn't have a brand attached to it?
    Last edited by mrbshouse; January 6th, 2006 at 08:36 PM.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    We want you to post banners that will do nothing more than help us market our brand name.
    For Free.... They're using a performance program to market their brand ... Performance programs are for performance, there are other channels to market a brand.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Budda,

I should spell it out 100% I was speaking my mind, not the terms or intention of the program.

I find terms of this nature very closed minded. I on one hand understand that they need to control their image and those that represent them (AM job ya'll), but I think terms of this nature come from much higher up the food chain and are usually the result of ignorance and fear of loss, or lower in the food chain and an over zealous legal department.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    They denied me, even though I have a several sites that would send them some traffic. I just say to them...

cancel
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

How are the Affiliates supposed to market them. Do they even have a clue. That might as well be a parasite. Promote and then nothing in exchange.
    Screw them. Never signed up, never will.

Thanks for the tip webworker
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

I think the best thing to do is what Leader said. Drop them, then build a page promoting their competition so that others find it when searching for Brooks Brothers. If you're comparing the two, BB can't do anything about it.

I did this once to a merchant that made me SO MAD because the AM was SO RUDE to me. They lived to regret it, and the AM wasn't an AM very long.

I quit shopping at BB years ago, when they charged me more for an item than the price listed on their website. When I brought it to their attention, they said the website hadn't been updated or I was looking at an old version of the page when I made my purchase. They refused to honor the posted price. I returned the item, and they lost a good customer.

They are not affiliate friendly at all. Promote their competition.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I've never yet put links up for them, and do have some pages they could go on - but no way am I going to change the way I do webpages because some merchant decides to dictate and micromanage what people do on their own sites. The meta tags bit is hogwash, but what they're saying is that you can't do ANYTHING that could possibly cause pages to outrank them at the search engines - in organic search.

Not even in any of the source code? That means if you put up a banner you can't even put "alt=Brooks Brothers whatever" in the image link, which is very handy when mousing over in cases when the banner (or product image) isn't visually merchant specific.

I wrote back right away saying "no thank you", declined the change in program terms at CJ, and expired the merchant completely.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If you're comparing the two, BB can't do anything about it.
    Exactly!

It's the ONE time I find something worthwhile in making comparisons...heh heh heh
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    F**K Brooks Brothers and the horse they rode in on....

Nuff Said.

Diddy

oh my.. you can't even post their sales.
    forget it.. I can't deal with stores like this. I'm not going to support them if they don't even want me to.

Talking
    Maybe they need to change their name to Crook Brothers ??

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Maybe they need to change their name to Crook Brothers ??
    lol

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread