ABW Ambassador
    I know I'm new here, but I just spent two days working on page, many of which feature many catalogcity product links. I was going thru and verifying them on a random basis and found many, many do not work.

Upon reviewing the links, I found they seem to have 2 product links for many items. one works. the other does not.

Of course, I had to pick that ones that do not...

Then I searched these boards for catalogcity and found this is NOT anything new. There are many posts here about missing graphics, product links not working, etc.

So I ask the question to those more experienced with Catalog City..... Is it worth it for 5%?

If not, who do you suggest?

Thank you.

No c-city arent worth it. When I see affiliates promoting them the word "newbie" crosses my mind. If you have read about them on these boards youll know they are something of a running joke. We all call them crapalog city, try searching these boards for that.

As for alternatives, when you search cj for product links it can be hard to get past crapalogs spam but c-city product links do mention the real merchant so you could just cut out the middleman. I use ebay for anything else thats not covered.

Sorry, don't have any good news for you. I pulled all their links quite a while back.

ABW Ambassador
    How disappointing... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I have no problem with Catalog City - so far. They are not my biggest merchant but I do OK with them. Last month it was over $100, so I was pleased. It added to my bottom line.

There are some items they have that I just can't get anywhere else, for those things it is great.

I do make it a habit to check each link before it goes up and thereafter.

If they have something you like that no other merchant has - give it a try.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I said it zillion times but I'll say it again.

Catalog City is YOUR DIRECT COMPETITOR.

Promoting products through Catalog City would be comparable to sending $1 leads to Ebates or Gator.

Catalog City has no inventory. It is just a shopping mall like all ours' and why do you share your commission with them?

Do NOT! Please!

-BluesX

I agree with BluesX. How can anyone say "There are some items they have that I just can't get anywhere else"? c-city is just an affiliate site and nearly all their products are from cj merchants.

If c-city didnt spam cj,s product catalog you would be able to get at the products that you think nobody else has instead of having your time continuously wasted.

IMO, (apart from charging affiliates $250 per month and giving us equal status) the best improvement cj.com could ever make to the functionality of their site would be a filter that allows users to bypass c-city and oshmans spam so that we can get to some serious merchants.

Having to check your c-city links every day for the sake of a hundred bucks is not a good deal when you could just promote the *real* merchant and make 10%-20% instead of 5%

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    the best improvement cj.com could ever make to the functionality of their site would be a filter that allows users to bypass c-city and oshmans spam so that we can get to some serious merchants.
    AMEN!!!!

quote:
    Originally posted by smeg:
    How can anyone say "There are some items they have that I just can't get anywhere else"? c-city is just an affiliate site and nearly all their products are from cj merchants.

I do say it and I will say it again - there are a few products I want are NOT sold by any other affiliate program. Period.
    What the heck, do you think I am lieing about it?

I know how to look for products else where and I have looked. If a merchant comes along that offers what I want, I will be happy to switch.

Until then I will gladly put up the link for what my visitors want and smile everytime I make a sale.

And further more, I will REALLY be smiling this month when the wood floors I wanted for my house are made possible by those links.

quote:

Vicki, I believe you simply because some merchants whom people complained about do perform well for me. On the other hand, some merchants whom everybody is happy about do not perform at all for me. If I knew why, I would have quit my day job.

NO!

For me I have found other alternatives to CC that are alot less frustrating and make ALOT more money. CC sounds great at first, but in my case, they just aren't worth screwing around with.

-CK

ABW Ambassador
    After posting my original msg, I have to say, CC is a big disappointment. I was able to find alternative sources for most items, but not all. However, if the CC product link goes not to the page it's supposed to, but their default page, then what good is promoting them?

One thing I did find, was multiple product links for the same item. One would work, while the other did not. Using their cj.catalogcity.com search showed they really did just resell most other merchants stuff. And some of them had dead product links too!

Back to the drawing board.... I've concluded 5% for this is totally worthless.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Vicki:

I do say it and I will say it again - there are a few products I want are NOT sold by any other affiliate program. Period.

Vicki
    Good luck with the floor. One thing worth remembering (and forgive me if this sounds patronising - it is not meant to be) is that you can create links to products that are not in the CJ product database. e.G. suppose you want to sell XYZlipstick from ABS.com but ABC.com do not have xyzLipstick in as a product at CJ, though CC has a ABC.com xyz Lipstick product.
    My first check before using CC would be to see if ABC.com offer advanced options in the link generation. Here you can choose which page of ABC.com to link to and also the image.

Anyway, if that fails, CC may be your only option. I hate them and am removing all links as they never seem to point to the place they are supposed to - one even pointed to a catalog that said you cannot order online from this catalogue, please phone your order (or something to that effect).

Good luck with CC.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Come on you guys. CC is just a greedy affiliate who originally was setup to take advantage of the loop holes in the Yahoo Stores and the ones at Bcentral and then Amazon Stores. They spammed the product keywork lookups to build traffic for justifying their merchant fees. They payout just a miniscule portion of their monthly profits as affiliate commissions and dupe merchants into paying them a network fee piggybacking CJ for 250.00 a month rahter than install and maintain their own network.

I'd hate to see them disappear as I've got a whole load of links on my sites to CC.

But...their cookies may not be worth as much as they may seem. As far as I understand (and I may be wrong), customers need to purchase from ccsyn=22 for us to get commission. If someone follows our links, they should get to ccsyn=22 but if someone later returns to CC by typing www.catalogcity.com, they go to ccsyn=1. In this scenario our cookies are potentially useless.

I'm not sure how often this would happen, and like I said, I may be wrong but I'd love to know if this really is the case.

I had started with them about a month ago, saw the posts here at ABW, and took the advice of eaglefire, buckworks, Ecom, and the others. Dropped them like a hat.

Its hard enough to do what I/we do, let alone someone reaching in my trick or treat bag in front of my face.

Keep searching for your product, new merchants are coming along all the time, and some are really ok.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread