Google can't hack it?
    Received this when performing a search a few minutes ago:

"We're sorry..."

"but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears that your computer or network has been infected.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.

I'm on Comcast, so I'm sure this only affects a few. Hopefully they aren't dialing in on some a**hole who has an IP close to mine.

Fred

UPDATE

Aha! It doesn't like my search terms! I was doing a search on a problem I am having with my Linux box. (Odd that it should work the first time, but not subsequent times?).

Sorry for the bother folks, but it was quite odd, and made me wonder.

ABW Ambassador
    You should scan your system, that sounds like a trojan on your system.

I got that several times yesterday after digging deep into the results of a search.

Tried it several different hours and always the same result.

Yeah, I get it too when I try to dig deep, rather than plodding through page after page... It seems like they don't want you to go deep without taking time at each freakin page. I find the quite frustrating as, at times, I only want to find the off-the-beaten path stuff (i.e. dig past the obvious and the spam) quickly.

Interestingly, it varies depending on the query. I can wander as deep as I like when searching for "dead dog", but I get the annoying message when I do similar jumps for "dropshipping".

Given that the behaviour is query-dependent, the statement that it is my network (a local dsl provider in Pittsburgh) is affected seems clearly false. If they were locking out my network, they would lock it out regardless of what I searched on.

My theory: Google is trying to crack down on result miners who aren't going through their API.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Maybe they are that deep after all? Ever thought that Google maybe just is desktop computer somewhere and not all those terrabytes of information?

Poopies Theory of the Day

I've randomly seen the same message for months. It's interesting that certain search phrases are triggering it. I had not considered that.

It appears to be an attempt to block scapers and automated query programs (which are also scrapers), but it doesn't really work as intended.

Your PC is probably not infected, but it never hurts to do a scan, just in case.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Google has been displaying this message for a long time on certain inquiries. It's usually because you're searching for something they don't want you to find, or they don't like the manner in which you're searching.

It's no secret that Google has been having issues. I'm surprised that they've gone on as long as they have, but I am beginning to thing Google's Algo has taken over control of Google, and the techs don't know what to do about it.

Anyone ever seen 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Perhaps that should be 2006: A Google Odyssey.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Google has been displaying this message for a long time on certain inquiries. It's usually because you're searching for something they don't want you to find, or they don't like the manner in which you're searching.
    To keep some sanity in this discussion, please provide some evidence for the words google doesn't want you to find.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrrl
    Given that the behaviour is query-dependent, the statement that it is my network (a local DSL provider in Pittsburgh) is affected seems clearly false. If they were locking out my network, they would lock it out regardless of what I searched on.

My theory: Google is trying to crack down on result miners who aren't going through their API.

-John.
    I know it's not my machine, and agree with those that have said it's query-dependent. To say it's my ISP or my machine is baloney, and one has to wonder what it is that bothers them so much that they have to display a message to scare you.

May be data-miners or something else they "Don't want you to see." What that might be, one can only guess. Any guessers out there?

Fred

From what I've read this happens when searching for certain terms, not that they don't want you to see the terms, but terms usually searched by people or automated search apps. Scrapers or whatever. It could be someone in your IP block was sending out automated requests and it triggered Googles filters.

I don't think its any plot to hide information, its a filter that gets triggered by certain types of requests. Sometimes it get triggered by a legitimate search.

(added) trying to keep the automated requests from bogging down their system.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

ABW Ambassador
    I see a lot saying it's on certain search terms. Anybody care to share just one? I want to see if I get the same thing.

Over on the Digitalpoint forums they have some threads about it in their Google forums. One such term is phpbb besause of a security flaw in the software...people or apps searching for sites that use the software to inject them. Other terms and search behaviors also trigger the error.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    yep phpbb as a search term does it. That is so strange! I have never see this type of message before.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Here's a search that worked the first time, then failed the next time (I had to close my browser windows and do it again (long story)).

linux /libglx.a once-only failed xorg.conf"

Seems to be working now. Short story here is that it isn't a really simple search. btw, I was using the "advanced" search as is my habit with Goo.

Fred

this search is not workied first time!

hummmm

That is strange. I have personally never see that type of error message before, but I guess the Google monster has its good sides if it trying to stop scraping, etc.

I don't use the advanced page very often, but use the special charaters on google.com and in the firefox searchbar.
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Hah.. yes, it was phpbb that cause a problem for me a few days back too.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread