Domain Squatting
    I just went to register a friends name ---extreeemly unusual name---it was available last week or so. Its not available now!! There's a parked domain squatter page on it!!

How could anyone come up with that combo of words is beyond me. Is there someway to track or see what names people are looking for? Spyware on a computer? I'm so miffed .

I ended up registering a different name for her that was her second choice. I did a dns look up on the person squatting and its a person that runs a couple of large datamanagement companies in California. Jerk.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Who was the registrar?
    In the past week or so I read a thread on another forum about this very same thing. Seems to happen too much for coincidence. Suspicion has it that some registrars are watching what you look at as far as domain name ideas and are sniping them.

In your case, I bet someone was trying to make a quick buck since the domain was unique, it had to be someone's name - snap it up and make a quick buck selling it to the person who wanted it.
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

ABW Ambassador
    I have alway thought that when you make a query and don't buy the domain, the registar sells that information to Domain Squatting firms.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf
    In the past week or so I read a thread on another forum about this very same thing. Seems to happen too much for coincidence. Suspicion has it that some registrars are watching what you look at as far as domain name ideas and are sniping them.

In your case, I bet someone was trying to make a quick buck since the domain was unique, it had to be someone's name - snap it up and make a quick buck selling it to the person who wanted it.
    I agree. I've had that happen to me at Network Solutions.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I'm certain there is a way to check on domains other people searched for. I would suggest either don't check until you're ready to buy or use a different method to check like a whois (though I'm not sure if a whois will register like this too). I've had this happen many times and one time we were able to get the domain as it was my employer's trademark. Best bet I think is to not even search until you're ready to buy.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

When I went to check it last week I never though anyone would register it because it really doesn't refer to anything but this woman. Its pretty much a kind of nonsensacle combo of things(she's an artist) So I never thought anyone would be interested in it aside from her.

It was registered through bulkregister.com and the registrar info is public. I could contact him but screw him--he can sit on it. We registered a different name she's just as happy with.

p.s. I think i was checking through godaddy...but I registered the new domain at Yahoo...can't beat those prices!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I never though anyone would register it because it really doesn't refer to anything but this woman
    but since you searched for it, you showed that someone was interested. So they register it hoping you'll offer to buy it from them and they will make a profit on it.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Exactly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    but since you searched for it, you showed that someone was interested. So they register it hoping you'll offer to buy it from them and they will make a profit on it.
    I don't know exactly how they do it, but there's no doubt in my mind when you check for domain name availability SOMEBODY is keeping track. And if you don't buy right away, the snipers are if they think it's unique/personal and they're trying to make a quick few hundred bucks selling it back to the individual.
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

Yeah that pretty much sucks. They're making their money by taking advantage of people, especially in this situation.

This is also part of her business name. I'm thinking she might have some recourse there if she feels like pursueing it. As it stands now in this case the squatter won't make squat on this deal since we're not pursuing it.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I had that happen a couple of times to me, at different registrars, I believe it was GoDaddy and Dotster, but it's a big world, and as peculiar as it seemed to me, I just figured someone out there was looking for the same niche.

Like above, I don't search now until I am ready to buy.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Or you can do a search on your favorite search engine...to see if it is being used before you buy at a registrar. I believe these domain thieves are not monitoring searches that way.
    Stand Tall ~Eradicate A Parasite And Put The "Affiliate" Back In Affiliate Marketing!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Good to know that there are eyeballs watching everything and if we want to buy a new domain name, to mask it until we're ready to hit the buy button.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I have to purchase domains for clients and I no longer even give a hint to Dotster or GoDaddy until the client has an account setup with them. Numerious times from the domain search (available), to the lengthy new account registration step, I've found the domain snatched up by some insider domain speculator working within these 2. Last mistake resulted in loss of easyloans.com, quicklending.com and quickloans.com at Dotster. Lesson learned.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I also had something like that happen to a client just last week. He forgot to renew (I told him he should have let me manage this ). Suddenly his site was gone and the name was registered for another year and a for sale page was up.

Well, after contacting the person they want a min. of a $500 with $1000 to guarantee it. Please, the guys company name is the same as his personal name and nobody else is going to want it. They are just trying to make a quick buck and this guy won't do it.. He's coming up with some spins on the name but it sucks because now it's new letterhead and business cards. Lucky for him he never changed his email address to the domain name.

Not sure who grabbed yours but here is the info on the slime that grabbed his.

Parked by: Seattle Linux, Inc. and now registered to Scott Warner. Seattle, WA .
    [SIZE=1][URL=http://www.tastelessandtacky.com]Tasteless and Tacky Gear[/URL][/SIZE]

Did he have it trademarked? Probably wouldn't matter unless he had the TM globally registered anyhow, I guess.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    He des't own the name, he leases it annually. If he forget's to pay for it, then it's goes onto the free market.

If it was so important, he should have pad for a 10 year registration.

I like traffic lights
    If you think it's bad now, go and read the new .com contract that Icann wants to give Verisign.

It allows Verisign to monitor the DNS, store all the information regarding queries to non-existant names and to sell that information at whatever price they can get.

Plus it allows them to raise the price of .com domains 4 years out of the next 10.

If it gets to be so bad with domain names I say everyone revolt and don't use domain names just use your IP addresses. Screw all the domain name scammers out there!!!

(it'll never happen)
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If it gets to be so bad with domain names I say everyone revolt and don't use domain names just use your IP addresses. Screw all the domain name scammers out there!!!
    Or go to one of those name-sniper registrars, and type in a bunch of BS domain names so they end up wasting tons of money on junk domains nobody wants. After they end up stuck with a few thousand useless names, the desire to register everything they can just may subside
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    What is really strange is, you try and sell a domain for years, it doesn't sell, so you let it drop, and a snapnames auction results in several people bidding the price up to unreasonable levels. There are many aspects of of the internet that still resemble the wild west, IMO. Lots of people finding a home in the gray area.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    What is really strange is, you try and sell a domain for years, it doesn't sell, so you let it drop, and a snapnames auction results in several people bidding the price up to unreasonable levels. There are many aspects of of the internet that still resemble the wild west, IMO. Lots of people finding a home in the gray area.
    I don't think it's gray to not buy--and then go and do a bidwar for the same name later.

Foolish and weird (in other words, typically human), yeah, but not gray...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I like traffic lights
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    Yeah. EXPLAIN THAT ONE!

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread