Where to refer the Merchant?
    Hello All,

A friend of mine is looking to start an affiliate program for his online hair care store. Where do i refer this merchant (in terms of network?)

They'll need a network which can set up everything for them, like tracking etc. Which network do I refer this merchant to? and what are their costs?

So far I have:
    Shareasale
    Linkshare
    CJ

(and only have pricing for Shareasale).

Now, I know most would say shareasale, but does shareasale have that many affiliates? (and since this website is AU - although shipping internationally), it would be preferable to have some Australian affiliates in there too, or at least affiliates with some australian audience. (but please don't suggest any australian networks).

I hope there's someone out there who can explain which they believe is better and why ?

Hope you guys help me give the best possible answer to this merchant!

(side note: does shareasale have 'private' offer like linkshare has etc, to offer higher commission to certain affiliates i.e. based on sales generated, etc.)
    This merchant is whole heartedly intent and dedicated to being 100% parasite free, but does that mean Shareasale is the only option?

Thanks (in advance) for all your help

ABW Ambassador
    Shareasale is very popular, and has an excellent reputation. And there's no comparison in cost, AFAIK.

There's also Share Results, who have a growing presence here at ABW. They'd also be worth checking out, particularly in view of the type of product in this case, since they're pretty much female-run. Don't know any costs or details, but I believe they also do affiliate management for companies.

Anyone else, care to make suggestions, or any info they think would help?
    Just want to make sure this merchant goes with the network that's best for the merchant (meaning has good affiliates, active affiliates, who WILL sign up and promote) and for the affiliates (can offer incentives, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Rogi
    This merchant is whole heartedly intent and dedicated to being 100% parasite free, but does that mean Shareasale is the only option?
    Not really. Shareasale does screen all the affiliates joining the network while in the case of other networks (Linkshare, CJ), the merchant would have to do the screening themselves. (Not a very trivial task though).

Quote Originally Posted by Rogi
    Just want to make sure this merchant goes with the network that's best for the merchant (meaning has good affiliates, active affiliates, who WILL sign up and promote) and for the affiliates (can offer incentives, etc).
    No matter which network the merchant is on, they will have to do their own recruiting. Being on bigger networks might help the cause a little, but the merchant will still have to work hard to recruit the affiliates with Australian audience.

-nishith

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    For that kind of item, I'd definitely say SAS. Otherwise your bud may end up with no shirt! CJ prices, $500 min/mo, something like $5k to say "hi" (min. deposit I think that technically is), and something like $2.5k setup fee. Going on memory for those prices, but I checked it out when I started GoodBulbs.
    Then I went over to SAS!

It takes a while to get 'er rolling at SAS in terms of affiliate numbers. Have patience. And promote! And like everywhere, there are tons who won't put your link up. Think of the 80/20 rule, or better yet 90/10.

(side note: does shareasale have 'private' offer like linkshare has etc, to offer higher commission to certain affiliates i.e. based on sales generated, etc.)
    Yep for higher commish to certain affs. I *think* there can be sale-based bonuses, too, but I haven't checked that out yet. (I've seen newbs at CJ come in with some pretty way-out bonuses [both optimistic and ic], so I wanted to see what was normal, first.)

I hope there's someone out there who can explain which they believe is better and why ?
    CJ costs a bunch, which can make it prohibitive for new programs, especially nichey ones (or ones where you can get the stuff in any offline store) like I suspect hair-care products would be. Check out how many "bars" merchants have, who sell stuff like your friend is doing. I've noticed that programs that consistently have only 1 or 2 bars tend to leave faster than others...

On the other hand, someone posted that they signed up at CJ and got somewhere around 200 affs signed up in ONE DAY! That's bolt-over activity compared to SAS. Try 6 months, if you take SAS...and that's *with* the Announcement and Forum here, and a zillion posts with my signup link. But they didn't say that the ACTIVE percentage was any better than SAS'.

Even with that signup rate, there's the matter of avoiding shirt loss before reaching critical mass. Whether that's a problem, depends on your friend's bankroll...can he invest for more than a few months before reaching that critical mass? If not, or if it's questionable, I'd say to stick with SAS--I've seen a few programs come into CJ and in 3 or 4 months their money's gone, and so are they...sometimes it even happens to promising programs.

CJ will let all the parasites in with both doors open so your friend would be stuck doing the screening. There's a learning curve in that; Kellie is always coming up with more things to watch out for...

SAS blocks the paras. Expect a lot of newbs, though. When the Announcement goes up at ABW, that's when the ones with clues come. So there's a whole bunch of clued ones at first. Then come the newbs. Sprinkled in amongst the newbs are clueful people.

it would be preferable to have some Australian affiliates in there too, or at least affiliates with some australian audience.
    SAS'll bring in affs from all over the place. Australia, US, Jamaica, India, UK, Canada, and more. I only ship to the US, though, so needless to say all the ones who sign up with me have US-centric sites (although the actual affiliate base is worldwide).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Your friend should consider ShareResults

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread