Angry Arghhh! Is this Ethical?
    So I was pretty happy to find a merchant that has all the products and even better, they are at Sharesale. I have been promoting them for the past few months and was just getting ready to utilize their datafeed.

Well....I just went to their site to check out their new product lines that they are offering. It is an affiliate feed from a CJ merchant! The kicker is...I'm an affiliate of that site!

Arghh...is this at all ethical? Advice?

Thanks
    Mel

ABW Ambassador
    Advice, don't put em up.

I wish SAS wouldn't let those affiliates masquerading as merchants in, be a little more selective.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Unless it's a per-click program, it's against the merchant terms.

Here's from the merchant agreement ( http://www.shareasale.com/merchantagreement.cfm ) :

Quote Originally Posted by SAS Merchant Agreement
    All offers that you promote on our network MUST be from your own site if you are paying per lead and pay sale transactions. You may NOT promote other affiliate offers unless you are paying on a pay-per-click basis.
    So if it isn't a per-click arrangement, they should indeed be booted!

My advice is to rip links, then make like a canary and start singin'. Unless it's some PPC thing (and therefore allowed). In that case, I'd go for AdSense for PPC.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks!

This is a merchant "who" has over 5000 products. I looked at the site further and they even have a page with other merchants they are affiliates for listed (banners)- Dooh! Hmmm...revamp your site to look nice...and add a few things with hopes no one would notice.

Of course...I have some pending transactions.

Maybe Brian can comment?

This is a merchant "who" has over 5000 products.
    Oh...I thought you had meant that they were running their CJ Feed through SAS as a pseudomerchant.

If they've got some of their own products, then I suppose they're going to say that those CJ products on their site aren't the ones they're promoting rhrough SAS...

Technically, that may indeed be within the terms. But IMO it's quite unethical to have a whole feedful of leaks on their merchant site! If it is technically allowed currently, hopefully there'll be a terms change so it becomes disallowed. Trying to get a sale off that seems about as likely as holding water in a seive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Unless it's a per-click program, it's against the merchant terms.

Here's from the merchant agreement ( http://www.shareasale.com/merchantagreement.cfm ) :

Quote Originally Posted by SAS Merchant Agreement
    All offers that you promote on our network MUST be from your own site if you are paying per lead and pay sale transactions. You may NOT promote other affiliate offers unless you are paying on a pay-per-click basis.
    Interesting! So I wonder how Bleu Marketing is getting by promoting Omaha Steaks through SAS? Brian, care to explain?
    Last edited by Leader; January 7th, 2006 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added proper attribution
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Sorry if I did not explain it well.

It's not hidden on their site, but I feel as though it is very misleading to Sharasale affiliates. I'm leading my visitors to the competition I'm going to start removing the links, but I was hoping to get my monies due before I bail.

Ie:
    X sell Fishing tackle/supplies and I'm afiliate of X through Shareasale

Y sells Fishing Boats/Accessories through CJ and I'm an affiliate of Y through CJ

I get a newsletter stating X has new products and such. I visit X site and see they are now offering boating supplies and boats, I click on the link and it is CJ link to Y.

I hope this makes some sense! I'm sorry for babbling.

Umm..taking them down today! I went back to their "affiliate page" and saw that they are affiliates for some of the other merchants that I'm affiliated with (they have the banners). Went to the product categories and found the LINKSHARE product links!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

No! It is NOT ethical. Please name the merchant or PM me the name of the merchant.!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I'd like to know, too. I want to know which dud to avoid, so I don't even bother to sign up with it!

Sounds like he's got a few products of his own, but is mainly wanting a source of free traffic to send to his own aff links.

It's still unethical, even if he's managed to squeak it by the terms. Ripping the links is definitely a good move!

(For the record, I have no aff links leaking off of the GoodBulbs site.)

I'd like to know as well. I've read this thread 3 times and can't figure out who it is. Am I being dense? It is possible. I have a sinus headache today and took the "drowsy" formula instead of "non-drowsy"

reminds me of the instance of the plus size clothing site at SAS who never converted for anyone. turned out to be an affil of everyone. This was about two years ago; don't know if the site is still at SAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    reminds me of the instance of the plus size clothing site at SAS who never converted for anyone. turned out to be an affil of everyone. This was about two years ago; don't know if the site is still at SAS.

I was in that same boat Herb... Growing Network, not enough people, time and money to totally police it.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Meleemel thank you for bringing this out.

I will be taking a very thorough look at any merchant's site prior to placing their links on mine. I'll also be reviewing my existing merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    Whoever reads their email doesn't have a clue about running an affiliate program

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=67648

When I first wrote about the broken product images, the reply was that the images on their site were working fine.

I wish SAS wouldn't let those affiliates masquerading as merchants in, be a little more selective.
    Maybe now that they're charging a higher startup fee, they'll do a little more careful screening.

WOW! Signed up for them but haven't had a chance to promote them, THANK GOODNESS. Since the links I clicked on went to amazon???

This is definetly a WTF???
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I learn something new everyday. This was BIG learning experience for me.

I think I saw something like this recently, where they merchant has another site "attached and promoted" with affiliate links. I need to go double check and ditch!

thanks!

mel

I just went through about six SaS merchants that I had on a site. Two of them promoted other sites/programs prominently...

While annoying as hell, I think most don't even realize it's a problem, so I'm drafting an email to each explaining why we're dropping them. SaS can have its policies, but unless affiliates stop promoting these merchants, they aren't going to get the picture.

CPA traffic is for promoting the action that earns the commission - nothing else. They can pay CPM if they have something else in mind.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread