Hostgator sites hacked?
    If anyone here uses Hostgator and has php powered sites CHECK THEM...Either Hostgators servers have been hacked or they've made some serious mistakes. I have a bunch of sites that have files garbled up and new files sitting in them rendering my php sites useless.

(Guess I know what I'll be doing the next few days)

Thats what I get for being lazy and not migrating ALL my sites to my other server... waaahhh
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Not mine
    Hey Suzy,

Just checked some twenty odd sites on HostGator. All working just fine.

Have you looked in on the support forum? Sometimes they post info there that can be useful when things like this pop up.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Just checked a bunch also - no problem here either. Sounds like you should get on the phone to them sooner rather than later.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Vege...

Hmmmm...It may be the server I'm on or the software I'm using. I've been to the forums and theres a thread with a bunch of phpnuke and mambo users that are down/hacked. Luckily my sites that are down really don't generate much traffic or revenue.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Are you using a PHP software script that says to use CHMOD 777 ? That can make some hosts' virtual servers ruin the script every so often. It happened to me and where the PHP script was inserted the pages were blank and I was sure I was hacked until discovering this, and even tho the software instructions were to use CHMOD 777, changing it to 755 the script still worked but the "ruination" stopped completely.

For what it's worth, Fiddle with CHMOD and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    If anyone here uses Hostgator and has php powered sites CHECK THEM...Either Hostgators servers have been hacked or they've made some serious mistakes. I have a bunch of sites that have files garbled up and new files sitting in them rendering my php sites useless.

(Guess I know what I'll be doing the next few days)

Thats what I get for being lazy and not migrating ALL my sites to my other server... waaahhh
    Sounds like your account is the one that is having problems. I sure hope you were not hacked! Make sure to backup your data effectively!

Update
    An update to my previous post.

Late Sunday night I was checking server stats (from a 3rd party program). I saw a link with a different kw phrase than I normally get. Clicked the link. Took me to a Google search page. Clicked my link in G. Then about fainted.

The page was trashed. My thumb image on the upper right was spread all down the page. No content visible.

This is a niche site with only three pages. The page suffixes are .php, but no scripts run on this site. None of the files in this site are with 777 permissions.

The page would never load fully (I'm on dsl), so I clicked the stop loading button. When I did that the top bar (where your page title is displayed) changed to this "Common Chronic Disease Patterns In Arabian Gulf, Saudia Arabia & Yemen".

???

When I tried to exit the page the top bar changed again. This time it displayed..."Books by Dr. O.P. Kapoor".

???

The browser (FireFox) was frozen. Had to reboot the system. I spent the next several hours going over my registry entries, looking for criminals. Nothing there.

Ran SpyBot and only found one entry (TsAdbot). Ran my virus scan. Nothing.

Back to my server again. Nothing strange in the file system. Nothing strange anywhere. I edited the index page and saved the file. Went back to the routine that led to the problem and it worked just fine.

???

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

No my sites wer definitely hacked as so where a bunch of other people.

Frank make sure there are no hidden files on your server. What happened to me is that the last line of my chmod 777 pages were stripped off causing my site to fail and within each folder that allowed world writing they inserted an htaccess file along with some other redirection scripts. So basically when someone came to my page they would be redirected to an ad page. The person that was in the whois for those sites is russian and the sites are all .ug .ru and other odd countries.

I thought I had adware also but upon further inspection found these hidden files on my server.

I had to delete all files and reupload my sites. Some of the injected files would not allow me to delete them so on some sites I had to close the account and open a new one.(reseller plan).

I googled his name and found that he's been at this same routine for at least the past 6 months and another person using Mambo had 20 er so of his sites trashed. I got all my sites up except for one that doesn't get much traffic anyway.

The only way to protect yourself is to make sure your permissions are not at 777 but in order for certain functions to work on these sites I need some folders to be world writable...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

The only problem I have had on a site with host gator is one where the bandwidth was constantly being ate up on one site by Googlebot...allot like more than 6 gigs so far this month. The only way I could stop it was to ban Google in the robots.txt file....Really weird...have had 100s of sites and have never seen this before.

I've had problems w/them before when the yahoo bot sucked up a bunch of pages and they took my site offline AND DIDN"T TELL ME!!! Its not that it was using bandwidth but using up their cpu resources and slowing down the server.

You shouldn't have to worry about whether your site is being spidered. It took my site months to recover from that fiasco.

The only reason I'm still there is cuz I'm to lazy to move the sites I have left with them. I only have my low performing sites there.

I'll be done with them in the next few months.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    You shouldn't have to worry about whether your site is being spidered. It took my site months to recover from that fiasco..
    Amen.

I know. It's ridiculous...and seems a little strange. I mean the site I'm talking about only had 2 pages....and I can't see Google being very interested in it anyway. If all the sites I had had this from the Googlebot, I'd have serious problems.

Kinda lame when you have to ban search engine spiders to stay within bandwidth limitiations...I have trouble believing it.

Im gonna keep what few sites I have there for now...as long as I don't have to play bandwidth shuffle every month...that remains to be seen.

Id have no problems going over bandwidth if it was the real deal...Id just fork out whatever ducks was needed to keep it going. Not that it would be the slightest problem if the bandwidth was from traffic...not BS.

I had a similar problem on one of my hostgator sites. It was a PHP function the hacker had installed in the web pages, which allowed them to change the html files. I removed frontpage extensions (should not have been on to begin with!) and did a complete lockdown on my directories, then start unlocking them to only allow minimal access. I have not had a problem since, so I assume it was probbaly a PHP permissions problem.

I would suggest you do the same, but also look at your directories from some files named time.php as well as altered htaccess files.

I had a problem before with an autoresponder and HostGator actually called me to tell me about it - they could see it being abused by spammers so they let me know. They did not call me this time, I guess they did not see an enormous amount of traffic so I can't bame them.

Hope this helps.

Jamie

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread