Is this appropriate for an affiliate manager to do?
    I am an affiliate manager setting up a new program and I want to make a resource section in the affiliate console so that my affiliates can learn more about online marketing.

Most of the tools I recommend are free, but some of the best "short and sweet" resources about online marketing are e-books which are sold for a small fee and have their own affiliate programs.

Is it inapropriate to sign my company up as an affiliate of those programs and make the commission when one of our affiliates buys one of those products?

If the affiliate will be buying the product anyway, it would be a shame to waste the commission, but I do not want to hurt the reputation of my program.

What do you guys think?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Just my opinion, but skip the aff links. I wouldn't say it's heinously wrong, but it sends a signal to affiliates that you're spending your time and brain power to profit from your own affs visiting your site when you should be focusing on how to get your affs to profit from working with you. And by the way, many affiliates will find a way to make sure that a commission from something they purchase, won't "go to waste"... so I don't think you'd make much money doing this anyhow. The risk/reward isn't worth it and it'd just be a distraction from your main role / intentions.

My best merchants are the ones who ask me what I need and work to try and get it for me and are always trying to find ways to help me sell for them, and not charging or making a profit from those steps - the merchant's reward for good support is good sales, not commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFolch
    it would be a shame to ....

... hurt the reputation of my program.
    I agree.

Is your impetus to offer a resource section for assistance and tutelage or to make some extra bling? For the straight link to the resource site you could contact the site owner with a barter deal or the like, but don't make money off people your trying to help via a resource section, when you could damage your rep so bad because it's just wrong offering aff linked resources as an AM. IMO.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcFolch
    I am an affiliate manager setting up a new program and I want to make a resource section in the affiliate console so that my affiliates can learn more about online marketing.

Most of the tools I recommend are free, but some of the best "short and sweet" resources about online marketing are e-books which are sold for a small fee and have their own affiliate programs.

Is it inapropriate to sign my company up as an affiliate of those programs and make the commission when one of our affiliates buys one of those products?

If the affiliate will be buying the product anyway, it would be a shame to waste the commission, but I do not want to hurt the reputation of my program.

What do you guys think?
    Marc,

Sign up directly (non - aff link) and offer the books at a discounted price (less what you would make in commish) to your affiliates. Better yet, set up a bounty or bonus program. Sign up and get active and get thsi ebook for free, for 50% off etc. Sign up and send in $xxx.xx in sales and get this ebook free. Resource sections are great, be sure you feature ABW in the mix, affiliates won't find a better resource on the web.... IMO
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Picking up on what Andy's mentioned, contact the guys that are selling those e-books prior to putting up their links and work out a deal with them where your affiliates will get a special price. They may even offer you a code or a special order page... Talk to them. From my personal experience, I was at first quite suprised to find out how flexible people are (people that are selling their books, software, services, memberships, etc), but then - why be surprised? Wouldn't I do the same as a merchant (for someone who's willing to bring me sales)?! I'd talk to them first. They might end up being even more flexible than their default affiliate commission!

Geno

As an affiliate I don't buy anything unless I think I'll get at least 10x the cost back in increased sales. The fact that an AM is getting a commish would at as a big "STAY AWAY" sign.

I don't mind forking out for quality, I buy computer hardware to increase productivity and that's far from cheap, I buy software that costs 100's of $$$. Buying advice though.... never have, probably never will.

ABW Ambassador
    I suggest staying away from any ebooks... only noobs buy 'em and the only people they help are the people who wrote 'em, IMO... You're much better off getting a forum here and directing people to that forum, where they'll explore the rest of ABW and learn much more than they'd find in any ebook. Plus, you'd look better by being more available to your affiliates...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

If the ebooks have reprint rights, buy them and make the ebooks available to your affiliates for free.

I agree with what Celicaphile said, most of us have probably come across these ebooks and maybe bought them when we were newbies or learned quickly to stay away from rehashed material that you can find freely on the web.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

This is great stuff!

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Marc

Personally, I don't see any problem directing people to the things they want/need, while making a commission on it at the same time. That's what we all do, every day.

Perhaps you could talk to the ebook owner and see if he would offer a combination of a discount and a commission on a special landing page for you? This way, your affiliates would see it as a discount rather than a commission.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread