Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Links IN and Google
    I read today that having affiliate links INTO your site causes damage to your rank with Google.

Is there a merchant here that can comment on losing SERPs after growing an affiliate program?

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    I read today that having affiliate links INTO your site causes damage to your rank with Google.

Is there a merchant here that can comment on losing SERPs after growing an affiliate program?
    Trust, I can't answer that myself one way or the other because having a new program, but it seems to me thats one reason for merchants to go with the NakedLink over at LinkConnect. Direct linking to the merchant and no affiliate middle man showing.

Poopie Kite Man Nubert
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar

Nah, but then I started my program the same week the site was ready, so that could have skewed the results.

But, it sounds like malarkey: The Googlebot would be held up at the network redirect, at least for most programs. Many networks even robots.txt all bots away from their redirect servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert
    it seems to me thats one reason for merchants to go with the NakedLink over at LinkConnect. Direct linking to the merchant and no affiliate middle man showing.
    That's why I hesitate to sign up with LC as an affiliate. As an aff, I don't need to help merchants rank above me. They do too well at that as it is, nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    That's why I hesitate to sign up with LC as an affiliate. As an aff, I don't need to help merchants rank above me. They do too well at that as it is, nowadays.
    Well you can hesitate for that reason. How about hesitating because the search engines don't like network affiliate links and lower your ranking? Does this mean that your not going to hesitate to remove them too because they are going to rank above you?

Geeze, throw away all opportunitys because the SE's don't like your linking and soon you will have just a website.

Let's see, at least with the naked link your not penalized for being an affiliate site.

I thought a site that had a lot of good content with outgoing relavant links (not showing as affiliate links) would then rank higher as an authority.

I know everything is a theory...

Poopie Link to me Naked

Truthfully Poopie, with the exception of your program (and I only know it from this forum... I don't really have any related sites.), I didn't see much worth promoting over there, linking method aside.

I know there's a few diamonds in the rough on every network, but nothing jumped out at me on their merch list...

Truthfully Poopie, with the exception of your program (and I only know it from this forum... I don't really have any related sites.), I didn't see much worth promoting over there, linking method aside.

I know there's a few diamonds in the rough on every network, but nothing jumped out at me on their merch list...
    Agreed.

I actually found one there that offers up a product to re-paint, refresh and clean up the look of old inflatable rafts. I figured it could go in my rubber raft department in my boat site.

I had a couple of offers that don't fit, but the merchandise was fine for someone that it fits. But there was some program that looked interesting for the right sites.

Like any new network, they have to be given time to build their merchant base and not rely on what I call the fast buck promotion artist merchant. IE: make money with affiliate marketing etc...

As an affiliate, it was nice that when I applied for the one program, the interface asked which sites of mine that I wanted to apply for. So I checked the 2 that worked.

I can tell you I haven't been enthused this much since way back in 98 when I signed up for CJ. It was a nice change from ClickTrade, BeFree and Linkshare.

For now, I am gun ho on this network. One, I talked to them quite a bit and their background comes from being screwed by the Majors, parasites and all the other crap that has happened. I do believe they are going to run a totally clean program and keep it that way.

Poopie is on the line on this one...

ABW Ambassador
    When I was Indy Hunting and looking at the top 50 internet retailers a few weeks ago i came upon

http://www.biblio.com
    http://www.biblio.com/pages/Biblio_IR_Top50.html

and went to sign up and it was thru linkconnector which i never heard of. And now from checking them out, they look great. I like having merchants up that my competition doesn't They have more than a few that I think will work great and overtime surely add some more.

I had a CJ merchant tell me that the affiliate links to their site do not increase their SERP. Instead it increases the SERP for the network (CJ) that provides the link. In other words if you link directly to the merchant site rather than using the network supplied link, then it would increase the merchant's SERP.
    Ken

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I always ed in LinkConnector as a possible partner or enity to incorporate into my Safe haven Network model. Just add in a LC controlled multi-merchnat shopping cart and sign up merchants from other networks to open an affiliate enabled shop there. The Google/AOL group has the same opportunity to a clean Safe haven for merchants and site owners dodging the pitfalls and liabilities of current networks.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

How about hesitating because the search engines don't like network affiliate links and lower your ranking?
    A thread from 2001 was brought back up recently, and that same theory was in there. My opinion is still the same as it was then: Malarkey. It's just an old rumor that won't die, but the SERPs continue to have highly-ranked aff sites in them.

It's not that the SEs wouldn't like me, it's that it'd be free SEO for you, and you know it full well!

http://www.linkconnector.com/nakedlink.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by LC's Naked Link Page
    Increase Inbound Links to Your Site
    Naked Link Technology™, pioneered by LinkConnector, offers merchants the ability to transparently run an affiliate program, leading to an increase of inbound links to your site. In turn, this can also significantly boost organic search engine rankings. If you are still running a standard affiliate campaign and your links aren't naked yet, you could be missing out on a significant boost to your search engine rankings. Or, if you are not running an affiliate program, sign up with LinkConnector as part of your link building campaign.
    A link campaign on that potential magnitude would cost several thousand dollars from an SEO firm. Affiliates should do it for FREE?! On top of bringing you sales (the sales being the only thing that affs are getting paid for with this setup--not the link campaign)? Surely you jest!

ABW Ambassador
    Poopie, it is sad to see you promoting a falsehood, or at least something you cannot say for sure one way or another, but promoting it to promote yourself. When you do that, it is hard to believe anything you say, because it might just be self-serving as your first post in this thread.

Chet

Hi Noth
    i has not caused our PR , or serps to change.
    though we have dropped a tad on MSN.
    but that could be anything.
    everywhere else, No .
    hope this helps.

ADDED..
    though google does not give us credit for as many backlinks as the others.
    but i think that is also the norm.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Has anyone seen a lack of sites with affiliate links come up in SERPS?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

It's not that the SEs wouldn't like me, it's that it'd be free SEO for you, and you know it full well!

http://www.linkconnector.com/nakedlink.htm

!
    I agree, do they want to be an affiliate network or a text link broker.. Since they seem to have a few text link brokers in their program, I think they are selling there service to merchants more as a way to increase SE listings first and an affiliate program second. I for one am not interested in a "naked link", I'd much prefer to have a regular link. If a merchant wants to use a naked link, then we need to get a per impression (or click) payment since we are helping to increase their SE rankings.

Where did you hear about this? I am not aware of this rumor!

If you're going to link with LC, i'd suggest you use the rel="nofollow" in your links.
    i.e. <a href="http://www.merchant.com" rel="nofollow">Link to Merchant</a>

It works for Google.
    (see: http://www.google.com/webmasters/bot.html#www )

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I'm with Leader and several others, this is total malarkey. I've looked at enough specific and general examples (today, recently and over the years) so that it's very clear to me that inbound aff links do not damage your rank with Google.

Quote Originally Posted by praytoday
    we need to get a per impression (or click) payment since we are helping to increase their SE rankings.
    Actually, links done for their SE value deserve a FLAT rate, because their value is not in their directly-sent traffic, but in their ability to affect SE ranks.

All the SEO-oriented link brokers I've seen charge flat rates--and most of them aren't cheap, either (none of the quality-looking ones are cheap). And SEO companies have quoted me 4-digit flat-rate prices for linking campaigns--with NO other SEO services, and NO promise of any traffic coming directly from those links, involved.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

All the SEO-oriented link brokers I've seen charge flat rates--and most of them aren't cheap, either (none of the quality-looking ones are cheap). And SEO companies have quoted me 4-digit flat-rate prices for linking campaigns--with NO other SEO services, and NO promise of any traffic coming directly from those links, involved.
    Interestingly, the same source indicated that BOUGHT text links were also hurting SERPs for the site that bought them.

Google apparently looks at links your site has from Authority sites, and if it deems the content on the authority to be irrelevant to your site, either ignores that link or punishes you for it.

So linking campaigns CAN and DO work, but you need to be careful of the neighborhoods of your inbounds now too. And this is of particular note to folks who buy links. It's unlikely that a natural link will occur on an authority site of unrelated content.

A link campaign on that potential magnitude would cost several thousand dollars from an SEO firm. Affiliates should do it for FREE?! On top of bringing you sales (the sales being the only thing that affs are getting paid for with this setup--not the link campaign)? Surely you jest!

I am hoping that affiliates that have relevant sites that can pre-sell the products will earn those dollars in commissions. Surly you don't think I am looking at this just for linking, Yes it's a nice benefit, but I do want to sell product. I also (Cookie Gods Holding On) are giving 365 day return plus unlimited actions.

My shopping cart does continually show history of visits and purchase for every unique customer and as long as I have a program, the affiliate will get paid, even if the cookie is crumbled in-between time.

Dear Leader, I am an honest merchant, won't play the games, won't reverse sales (because I feel the affiliate did the proper job at making the sale possible in the first place), and mind you, those that do an exceptional job will be further rewarded with expanded opportunities.

I'm not looking for any those huge super mega quantum physic affiliate monsters. I am more interested in the smaller more personal affiliiates that can drive the traffic for the particular products I sell. As an owner/am I am NOT on a bonus program that will put blinders on me.

Now come over to the naked side.

Happy Poopie

ABW Ambassador
    Boy it's gotten deep and thick in this thread, hasn't it? Looks like it's time to shop around the January sales for some hip boots to wade through it.

Back on topic to the original question:

Don't believe everything you read. Document, verify and confirm. There's a lot of speculation and guesswork floating around, way too much to take everything at face value.

Is there a merchant here that can comment on losing SERPs after growing an affiliate program
    Not a merchant, but I can tell you that I've seen PLENTY of merchants with TOP rankings in competitive spaces in spite of inbound affiliate links.

That said, if affiliates are more actively and aggressively pursuing rankings and their sites and site architecture happen to be more search engine friendly and their optimization is better, they might be likely to be outranking merchants for the relevant keywords that will pull traffic.

That's a different issue from how the affiliate links are set up, and it's to be expected because it's a normal part of the competitive market in pursuing rankings. And there is a difference between 301's and 302's - and whether the links are run through network tracking.

Hope it's OK with the mods to post this, but here's a relevant, related discussion about merchants trying to USE their affiliates to gain link pop

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ead.php?t=8841

And the specific post referred to that says it better than I possibly could

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...41&postcount=5

ABW Ambassador
    Leader:
    Actually, links done for their SE value deserve a FLAT rate, because their value is not in their directly-sent traffic, but in their ability to affect SE ranks.
    Absolutely. If they want direct text links with keywords they can be honest, call it what it is, and pay by the month.

How about hesitating because the search engines don't like network affiliate links and lower your ranking?
    For sure and for a fact that's the reason rankings for some sites are lowered? Or could it possibly be something else?

Which engines in particular would that be?

I am hoping that affiliates that have relevant sites that can pre-sell the products will earn those dollars in commissions.
    The dollar value of a direct link is "earned" by the SEO potential of the site its on--regardless of ALL other factors!

A commission-only deal that includes the affiliate giving away hundreds of dollars (or more) worth of SEO value?! Not from me, forget it, not on your life--and you and/or your program's perceived other qualifications (or motivations) have nothing to do with it.

SEO is not the affiliate business. You want SEO-worthy links from me, then you pay me for SEO--and according to the SEO payment model.
    Last edited by Leader; January 10th, 2006 at 05:52 PM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Incidentally, it does not make it transparent to the search engines that the page the link is on is an affiliate site. It's clearly evident with the tracking pixel that's coded when the pages are parsed that's pulled from linkconnector.

It's being promoted as a way for merchants to improve their linkpop and organic search rankings, and it'll probably work for a while as long as affiliates don't see it for what it is - until the engines catch on to it.

If there's a pixel on the naked links, google will kill it... no doubt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast