ABW Ambassador
    What's Your Home Theater Setup?
    I'm moving in a few days and I want to hook the new place up. Just curious as to what everybody has got and maybe some recommendations as to brands and such.

Right now already have a Sony TV and stand.
    Already have a JVC DVD carousel.

What I'm researching now is mainly receiver and speakers.

My old receiver is a JVC and have some DCM speakers. As far as receivers I'm mainly looking at the Sony's or JVC trying to stay under $500. Speakers what do you think are the best as far as brands? Infinity, JBL, Polk etc?

We've got a Bose Lifestyle 50, which they don't make any more. I think the Lifestyle 48 is similar. It's a receiver, CD player and all that. I don't know if I could recommend one of those Home Theater systems unless money is no concern at all. The speakers do sound great, and alone are a little more down to earth as far as prices go. They're comparable to their Acoustimass 5.1 speaker systems.

If you don't want to deal with 5 speakers and all the wiring that goes with getting them in the right place, I've heard really good things about their new Cinemate speaker system, but haven't listened to it other than in the stereo section of Target.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I saw a demo on the "Bose 3򈭽 Series II DVD system" been looking at getting them myself but not sure how true.

http://www.bose.com/images/home_ente...21_l_black.jpg

My Home Theatre: (through which i am viewing this forum right now)

Epson Powerlite S1 ($700 or so if you can get it on sale) Yeah, the picture could be sharper, but at 100" diagonal, the price can't be beat. VERY viewable for PC's, Xbox's and Movies. And my beloved Buffalo Sabres hockey games.

Panasonic HT-800V for sound. I think it was under $300. Sounds great. Was ducking bullets for the first 10 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

Hot Wife: For things my Home Theatre can't handle. But Thrixxx software on 100" comes close

Internet Cowboy
    I've not dived in to the audio yet. I bought a 56" HDTV and it looks great!!!
    I am thinking one day the mood will strike and we'll dive in to the audio side of it. I'll probably go Bose when that happens.
    I watch so little TV that it really doesn't matter and my lady is happy with the speakers on the TV. But...given everything they say about boys and toys and such, it'll happen sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    My Home Theatre: (through which i am viewing this forum right now)

Epson Powerlite S1 ($700 or so if you can get it on sale) Yeah, the picture could be sharper, but at 100" diagonal, the price can't be beat. VERY viewable for PC's, Xbox's and Movies. And my beloved Buffalo Sabres hockey games.

Panasonic HT-800V for sound. I think it was under $300. Sounds great. Was ducking bullets for the first 10 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

Hot Wife: For things my Home Theatre can't handle. But Thrixxx software on 100" comes close
    What do you need to add to that to be able to watch TV? And to use it as a computer monitor? It looks interesting.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

I run my computer in through a standard Video cable that you would plug into your monitor from your video card. It also accepts S-video.

For TV, my digital cable box plugs into it with one of those standard yellow tipped single port RCA jacks. If you spend a little more coin on the projector, you can get one that also accepts RGB.

The wife is a little harder to configure.
    Last edited by Noth; January 10th, 2006 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Comment on the wife

ABW Ambassador
    My home entertainment center is a slightly tattered brown recliner chair and a 19" Toshiba TV running on rabbit ears that I turn on about once every two years or so.

I have a 50 inch plasma HDTV with top o fthe line sony surround. I find myself watching the stupidest things, but in HD, wow

Yeah, isn't HD amazing? I mean the shows on INHD in particular?

I think I spent 45 minutes watching a coral reef breathe once....

Affiliate Manager
    ADCOM...amplifier, receiver, and speakers...by far the best sound of any system I've ever heard

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    webworker, We're on the rabbit ear network ourselves.. but we've thrown in a cheap DVD player and Netflix to take it to new levels

I'm so embarrassed. My home theater is a 32 inch TV (not flat, not plasma, not HD) and a surround sound I bought at Wal-Mart for about $29.00. Who has time for TV when there is so much entertainment right here at ABW? Besides, we have nearly 100 channels and oddly, there is nothing ever interesting on.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My home theater is a computer and monitor.
    With $40 upgraded speakers.

Who has time for TV when there is so much entertainment right here at ABW? Besides, we have nearly 100 channels and oddly, there is nothing ever interesting on.
    TV is junk. They can't touch a computer! A computer has everything, on-demand, 24-7. ABW, games, even the ways to make money!

Put a tablecloth over the idiot box and use it for a table to set your stuff on while you're on the computer, maybe then you can get *some* good out of the thing...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Wound up getting Sony receiver with Infinity speakers, floorstanding front, center, surround, subwoofer. Goes with Sony TV/new TV stand and JVC DVD carousel. Bought from Crutchfield and J&R.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Wound up getting Sony receiver with Infinity speakers, floorstanding front, center, surround, subwoofer. Goes with Sony TV/new TV stand and JVC DVD carousel. Bought from Crutchfield and J&R.
    So is it all wonderful?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Don't know, move into new place tommorow, everything is in transit. TV stand will show up tomorrow at new place, receiver will show up tomorrow where i'm at now, speakers and TV arrive sometime next week.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Don't know, move into new place tommorow, everything is in transit. TV stand will show up tomorrow at new place, receiver will show up tomorrow where i'm at now, speakers and TV arrive sometime next week.
    Ahhhh - happy moving Trust! Good luck in the new digs.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I would love to be able to use my computer as a HT and probably would if I lived with myself.

We have a second child on the way, so going out won't really be an option for my wife and I. We're going to make the basement into the mother of all home entertainment centers and have friends over.

My next speakers will follow the old hot rodder's slogan "There ain't no replacement for displacement!" My inner geek wants to build them. My inner affiliate marketer will make pages of the whole home theater/entertainment center process.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    For Xmas I bought us a Panasonic open-box model (saved about $60 bucks that way) - it's an SC-HT680 model - compared here:

http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-PANASON...r_Sound_System

We like it a lot. It got a 4 star rating at Shopping.com and the sound is amazing. Maybe it's not THE BEST available but I have absolutely not one complaint. It's sleek enough, it has a 5-disc CD changer, it's way affordable (I think I saw it online for less than $300 now - I got ripped off!)

We like the fact that it has different settings for both movies and music sound optimization, and also that the sub-woofer is adjustable - 4 levels of SER-i-OUS bass - so when we don't feel like annoying the neighbours, we can turn it down a notch.

Comes with a 5-disc DVD/CD changer and FM/AM radio. Looks good, sounds good - what more can we ask for?

Now we just have to get a bigger TV! LOL ... for the meantime, we've got a 27" Sony WEGA.

Well, since Trust hasn't filled us in on his Home Theater experience, we can assume one of the following:

1.) He hasn't figured out how to hook it up yet.
    2.) His purchase didn't track so he sent it back...
    3.) He is intentionally leaving us hanging because he enjoys people begging him for insight.

Votes?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Everything is hooked up and working great. Now i'm trying to find something to relax in while watching all of it. Was going to get a couch but it won't fit due to the setup. So then i was thinking loveseat or recliner, then i stumbled upon home theater seating and was thinking maybe I'll get something like that. Can't decide, has to fit in 6 ft. of space.

Affiliate Network Rep JustJustin's Avatar
    Hi!
    I just moved as well and have upgraded my home theatre. I was debating plasma,lcd,or projection. Song makes a great 42" Wega projection LCD. Whatever you chose, I highly recommend investing in an HDMI connection (looks like a usb connection) which allows you to receive video and audio through one cable. For anything HDTV, this is ideal for perfect picture and sound.
    Justin Li
    Affiliate Coordinator
    Share Results

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread