Marketing a search engine? (help)
    Hello all

I want to take a new approach to my search engine and focus on marketing services

So what do I do (new to marketing)

So I guess the first thing to work on is to make the product as easy and friendly to use?

Next how would you (tips etc) market a SE service? I recieved over 8 million hits last year (bit quiet a the moment)

Is it best to charge a very cheap price for something (at the moment 1 per month for 10 keywords)

Or do you believe that could put people off?

Any help would be great

ABW Ambassador
    First tell me why i would use your search engine instead of Google, Yahoo or MSN or are they even your competion? What's your selling point?

I understand you are based in the UK, so how would this help us in North America?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I guess first explain what you mean by 'my search engine' -
    Last edited by GravityFed; January 11th, 2006 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo

Hmm some good questions

Yes the engine is based in the UK, but index's the world (well very small part)

Hmm I suppose Yahoo is more of a competitor than google as I want to run a whole entertainment portal too (games, email, etc etc)

Why would you use Burf.com? Well maybe a bad point, if you search on say google, yahoo, msn, alexa etc, the results are sooo similar (sometimes the same) that it could be classed as unfair to other sites.

My search results which I am still heavily working on, is completely different to any of the other engines. So I could say, use Burf.com to see a different side of the internet

Again, this is probably not great, My search engine is tiny compared to google, its slower and could be classed as pointless when i could just use somone else's API

Yet again it has been created by me and I feel it has been a very interesting project and as I have come this far, why not try to market it .

Just to answer a couple of questions that come up alot.

Burf.com does not use any other SE, or directory for its results.

It does crawl its own results (norbet the spider).

burp.com looks like a landing page on an expired domain. I did a search for tshirt and got nothing but sponsored results. From what I see there is nothing of value on your website, just sponsored listings, there is nothing that would make me want to return.

Quote Originally Posted by burf
    Why would you use burp.com?
    What is it, burp.com or burf.com???

Mate its the admin changing my flipping name. kinda funny as the other site is a se landing page

mine is burf.com (please dont change mr admin)

LOL I can see that now, I enter bur"f" and my post also gets changed to burp.

JJay,

burf is his site, I had to put in a replacement variable for the slew of links and burffie's desire to recruit members to his forum.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks for the explaination, thought my "F" key wasn't working LOL

Sorry this was not an affiliate or something. I mentioned my site and i am known on forums as burf-dot-com.

I was not trying to take member's just mention that i am collecting articles?

I have seen loads of other members mention thier sites and have them in thier sig's etc,

Maybe i missed the rules page for which i am sorry?

Burf,

The ones with sigs earn them - participation.

You spammed (yes shameless links are spam) and I don't give a hoot what other forums do, they, nor you pay the bills.

You agreed to the rules when you signed up (second screen) and the link is posted on the bottom of every page.

===============

LOL JJJay
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Sorry I only did one shameless link. I want to participate and i know what it is like to be spammed etc (had a season of russion bride sites a while back)

So my name is not allowed to be what it was
    What are you looking for as participation? I thought my view could be quite different because of being based on a SE or do you havea lot of search engine members on here?

There was not only one link, but I'm not going to count if your not. Look I could have deleted all with one key stroke, obviously much easier than answering this and the other threads ... look around Burf, look at the bloody site and make your decision of if you want to participate in a symbiotic manner.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

16. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread