Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Online Merchant Brand Loyalty
    I have been thinking about this recently and I would like to gather opinions.

There may already be stats on this in another article..if so let me know where. If not I think it's a great topic for discussion.

Q: How many people out there shop online by searching SEs for the best value as compared to visiting a particular (and familiar to them) store/site based on loyalty?

In other words.. are shoppers using Google and the other search engines to search/shop for specific products they need.. or do they go directly to their favorite ecommerce stores and/or shopping portals to do their shopping??

GBM

Good Q.

If you've watched, as I have over the past four years, the keywords at http://www.wordtracker.com/topkeywords.html you would have seen that SENAME.com has drastically decreased and correlate that to an IRarticle (last year - yeah I can find it if I need to) that says that users are now understanding that they need to typing merchant.com to get to the site - which would reduce the merchant - coupons searches also and also why many merchants have now included on the FP or coupons in their cart.

But ... I'd still say ppl search for merchant name and coupon when they see it isn't pre-propagated like dell or other wiser (cart abandonment wise) merchants on the end user's fav SE.

What is the real q?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I know I'm not a typical shopper, but with me it really varies. Sometimes I search Google or Yahoo for a product. Sometimes I search comparison sites like Froogle, Yahoo Shopping, Shopping.com, etc. Often, I search on eBay. Sometimes I search some of my favorite merchants that I think would carry the item.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    As a female shopper, I type in the name of the store or brand dot com. If I don't get there, I Goog the brand name or store to get there. So, brand loyalty here. I'm not a coupon or discount shopper on or off line. Might be different for the majority.

I know I'm not making as much income as the coupon stores without offering coupons and/or discounts and coupon codes so maybe most people do search for coupons and price compare. Something to think about.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Interesting -> seems (SE) searches are involved at some level with everyone's shopping experience. Whether it's to do the shopping by SE 'product' searches or to search for the merchant or to find a coupon for a particular merchant.. I tend to search SEs by product, than the deal on that product, but I was just wondering how others shopped online..

I value ABWers opinions on how the average shopper out there gets to the checkout page.

I'll just add that with aff sites I run, I do know that when traffic goes through the product detail pages from an organic search (when someone searches Google and finds my product detail page), my conversion is 10x greater than any other traffic I get.. This means this segment anyway is shopping the SEs by product..and chances are this shopper already knows what they want and are looking for their options out there...IMO this is a powerful group of shoppers to get your relating aff content and links in front of.

Cool
    I've been sneaking into GoldenCAN and using their search facility to go across a buncha sites for shopping. Found things, too.

I go to a comparison shopping site to start and get an idea of the way things are, but most times - say 70%+ end up buying from a bookmarked list of online merchants I've used before.

By the time I've ploughed through comparison shopping sites out of stock or deal-over offerings and taken into account excess shipping charges, it comes down mainly to brand loyalty, but usually as a result of price.

I am loyal to the sites that I have purchased from before.
    If they have great customer service - on time delivery - prompt shipping...
    I bookmark and come back...

When I shop ONLINE - I had rather shop somewhere that I know is legit and I have good experiences with in the past... I don't want to put my credit card number into every site that deals with the products that I am looking for.. If I have entered my CC into one site.. that is the place I return to buy.. 99% of the time.. if the service was good..

If it is something NEW that I am looking for I usually go straight to a merchant site.. I don't go to the SE's for anything unless I absolutely have to...

NEWEGG.com comes to mind.. I shopped there five or six times and will probably never buy PC parts anywhere else as long as NEWEGG has what I am looking for..
    Based on my experience with NEWEGGS return policy - prompt shipping ect. ect.

-------------

Quote: "(when someone searches Google and finds my product detail page), my conversion is 10x greater than any other traffic I get.. "

I agree.. that is my best converting traffic.. SE - Detail Page - Merchant site... best conversions..

As my handle suggests, I look for the best deal out there and then I buy. If it turns out that the price on the product I want is pretty much the same across the board, then I buy from my preferred merchant. I won't buy from a sketchy or cheasy looking site. The merchant needs to be reputable. So I guess for me, its price 1st, than brand.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Are any ABWers "typical" shoppers? We're all in the marketing biz...

But anyway:
    I like familiarity, and often find that price-shopping is too much of a PITA to be worth it. It's worth a couple bucks to me, to just go to a familiar site and order there, knowing that the items will come fast, and that the order won't be screwed up somehow. So when I find a good site, I stick with it, unless they don't have what I want or their prices are way out of line.

If the familiar site is charging a price that I know is quite a bit too much (more than what would be called "normal retail variance"), then I go to Goog (main, not Froogle) and start shopping around.

Sometimes I want an item I don't know of a store for. Then I start going through the G listings. The way I search then isn't typical--I'll usually try to find some aff site that's mired down at Listing #100 in G and order through their link, in sympathy. If there aren't any affs then I look a bit higher, but still not usually the very top. Mainly out of sympathy for the Lesser Ranked, but sometimes because what G thinks is good just isn't, or isn't on the same vein as what I'm looking for.

As for comparison sites, I hate 'em. I just hate 'em! They're so irritating. When I want more info about a product, it's not *that* kind of info I'm looking for. What do I care if SomePlaceI'veNeverHeardOf is trying to get 10x what BestBuy wants for the same thing?! I can spot a ripoff without them! Needless to say, if I end up on one of them it's usually because their listing got in the way and I didn't notice the "bizrate" or "pricegrabber" in the URL before I clicked the thing. Either that, or I'm desperate to find somebody--anybody--with the product I'm after, and no other sites in the listings even mention it. And in that second scenario, usually the place bizrate mentions is sold out!

I won't buy from a sketchy or cheesy looking site.
    I don't like to either, but sometimes those are the only sites that have what I want. Fortunately, my experiences have been good on those occasions, showing that web design and good service are not related. But they do give me the willies... sometimes I even check brick-n-mortars before going ahead with a purchase at a site if it's too lame.

That said, I have a merchant whose conversion ratio went DOWN after they upgraded their site! They had used cheap prices as their angle, and I think people figured those prices had to be going up substantially to match the new design. Either that or the place "forgot" the tracking code...but it never really did recover, or at least it hadn't by the time I quit promoting them in favor of a much better option...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    If it's a toy for my son, I type in tar get and wal mart - and see if there's a major difference in price. If not, I DRIVE to the most convenient one.

If it's more expensive, like a digital camera. I do the same thing, but also check a known coupon site just to make sure... then DRIVE to the store

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    If it's a toy for my son, I type in tar get and wal mart - and see if there's a major difference in price. If not, I DRIVE to the most convenient one.

If it's more expensive, like a digital camera. I do the same thing, but also check a known coupon site just to make sure... then DRIVE to the store
    *Gasp!*

Heretic!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    *Gasp!*

Heretic!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread