Has the level of moderation increased?
    Maybe it is just me and my perception.

I just want to say that I think if things are too heavily moderated, it will make for some pretty dry reading around here.

Since many threads are just shooting the bull, anyway, I don't think there is really any crying need to keep them "on topic".

Normal conversations with people drift all over the place. Listen to any two people talk casually for only five minutes and see how many different topics are brought up. It is amazing. You know, the conversational nature of ABW, that other boards lack, is one of the things that makes it a great board and keeps people coming back. It isn't about information all the time. It is also fellowship that draws people here.

Now, I can understand if it is an urgent issue of significant importance that really needs to stay focused. But, when it is a topic that we have talked about time and time again and will likely bring up repeatedly in the future, what's the point? Then, we are just shooting the bull or looking for commiseration. My opinion is let 'em drift. People just wanted to talk, anyway.

Now, this may be an entirely unfair post because since the conversation(s) I am thinking about have been edited before I read them, perhaps, there was a darned good reason to edit them and the mods may have been entirely right. I have no way to know.

It is just an impression that I am getting and I could be way off target, here.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I agree with you on the "normal conversations", Sandra. However, I am not sure if a forum talk is a "normal" conversation. When you get a choice of different threads, and have an option of starting your own ones, it is hard to talk of 'normality'. "Normal" by definition is "conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern". I believe the reason for your "impression" might be the fact that forums (and this one is no exception) adhere to quite different standards/patterns than "normal conversations". Now, I might be drifting into a 'linguistic thing' here. But I believe, that's the reason. If you and I were talking on the phone where only you and I decide what to talk about, it would've been totally different from you and I talking openly in public in a place where you are prescribed to talk in a certain way (like if we were on Queen's reception, for example)... Just my two cents.

Geno

This seems to me (only been on here a day an did not have a good start) a very highly modded site.

Now thinking about it at night, it could be a good thing, I personally think I was hit hard but by looking at the size of the forum. It was probably for the best. The admin, mods must be doing a good job because of the size of it.

My only query for the forum is the huge number of areas which for a newbie to the site is very confusing

I don't think there's been hardly any moderation in that area, but I do see a couple issues:

1) People turning threads into chat rooms. If it's between two people, take it to emails or PMs.

2) People derailing threads. If there's a tangential discussion that could become a distraction from the main thread, start a new post and link to it from the main thread. Once in a while, moderators will split a big off-topic discussion out of a thread, but that's a lot of work so it doesn't happen much.

If anything, I would say that we error on the side of too little moderation in this area. I talked to several people this week at the Affiliate Summit who don't keep up with things at ABW because there's just too much here (especially off topic banter). On the one hand, the sense of community really helps, but on the other hand the extra noise drives some away. It's a tough balance to find.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree that moderation is needed. I mainly come here for information on specific topics. It can get frustrating when certain affiliates make the same point over and over, even when it's not specific to the thread. I find that I too am spending far less time here.

Now that may be because I'm more familiar with affiliate marketing, and don't need to have my hand held as much as I used too. I'm really not sure why.

Don't forget Haiko's credo... This is a business, treat it like one.

As this is Haiko's business, I suppose he and his mods have the right to keep it Professional in here. Since we can't see the posts that have been modded, we don't really know what they are cutting out (unless you saw it ahead of time), so we can only trust their judgement.

Considering the bashing he allows of some of his advertisers, my opinion would be that this is still an open forum, so long as you aren't childish, or shamelessly self promoting, or brazenly breaking forum rules.

But I can, too, see your point SSanf. I hate to see modded posts. But I am willing to trust that it's done intelligently.

If this thread was started in reference to the Google thread, you'll see that even the Wise Trustno1 started modding himself
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Had to mod myself, people talking about sueing Google because they don't rank is pretty ridiculous

I think the level of moderation is pretty much the same as it always has been.

As far as off topic/non affiliate marketing discussion, that's what the Abestweb Virtual Family is for. I came here a few years ago and read every thread there was, now that would be pretty impossible. Just go to the first post in that section and start reading. Most forums have an off topic section and it works.

"I talked to several people this week at the Affiliate Summit who don't keep up with things at ABW because there's just too much here (especially off topic banter)."

It is a tough balance sometimes, but you'll find the forums that were overly modded or wanted to be "very professional" no longer exist and died out. Those people at the Summit have been doing this for awhile, won't find many newbies there. ABW has everybody from the newbie to the experienced and overall it works. It's what it is. I don't limit myself to reading one forum, like to see what other people think at other places, different flavors.

Aye... A furious pace here. For every post I read 10 or 20 more are written.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

One thing I should point out... Virtually all moderation I've seen (and done) here is moderation of newbies who aren't following the rules.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Well, as I said, it could just be my perception. I used to read everything, too. Now, I must pick and choose because who has the time to read it all? Could just be the threads I have happened to pick or luck of the draw or something.

Hey as long as everyone is happy, I am happy, too.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

In a word, no. Moderation levels have not increased at all. Many n00bs have been spamming but beyond that from the admin log everything shows normal admin edits, sticking or moving, nothing of any consequence whatsoever. That's the whole point of ABW - we are grown ups and we really shouldn't need to be moderated as long as we all place fair and nice.

As for you Burfie, we've been around for over four years, please either stay and be productive or go and cry your river somewhere else - it's your choice.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread