What do you look for in an affiliate program?
    What do you guys look for when choosing an independant affiliate program?

Would you go with a company that does not have a well recognized brand and runs its program in-house?

Marc

I am biased of course. Yet if you were to attend a recent event, which I will not mention in respect for the admin of this forum's wishes, I would say the answer to your question would be a resounding yes.

Profit from building that brand, whatever it is, if you like it. There's a reason they're going through the work.
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFolch

Would you go with a company that does not have a well recognized brand and runs its program in-house?

Marc
    I would consider a possiblity.
    Are you thinking of creating a "third party advertising/accounting system" such as Linkshare or Commission Junction? Or are you thinking of creating a niche affiliate program within an existing system?

As an affiliate I look for flexible programs which offer a variety of text, rich media, individual item, and banner links. To tell you the truth, I don't think that viewers of a web page click banners (especially poorly done ones), I think people want to see a picture of the item they are looking for and would be willing to click on the picture of it especially if the webmaster uses it in a review or writes a paragraph of text beneath the image.

Items do not necessarily have to be from a "recognized brand" but on the other hand, I as a webmaster would not feature "flagrant pieces of junk."
    It would depend on the items involved.

In terms of structure of an affiliate program, when you say, "runs its program in-house" --well, does the system work? Is the technical part stable? Is it up-to-date in terms of technology?

My answers could be more specific if given more specifics in your question.

~Rhia7

ABW Ambassador
    Whether it converts or not
    If it converts and pays on time, sure.
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

To answer your questions Rhia7, I am running a new affiliate program. We run it in house and will soon be using DirectTrack to track it.

Out of respect for the rules, I will not mention the name or url, but the product is high end privacy protection software and the commisson is $105 per sale.

I find it interesting what you said about banners since that is mostly what we have at the moment. What I plan to add is the following:
    - Short tagline text ads (like what would be used in adwords)
    - Some pre-written content which affiliates can use to pre-sell their visitors
    - Pre-written e-mails they can send to their contacts
    - Product shots of various sizes

Do you think it would help to include online marketing education resources for our affiliates or is that mostly a waste of time?

Thanks,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I would consider a possiblity.
    Are you thinking of creating a "third party advertising/accounting system" such as Linkshare or Commission Junction? Or are you thinking of creating a niche affiliate program within an existing system?

As an affiliate I look for flexible programs which offer a variety of text, rich media, individual item, and banner links. To tell you the truth, I don't think that viewers of a web page click banners (especially poorly done ones), I think people want to see a picture of the item they are looking for and would be willing to click on the picture of it especially if the webmaster uses it in a review or writes a paragraph of text beneath the image.

Items do not necessarily have to be from a "recognized brand" but on the other hand, I as a webmaster would not feature "flagrant pieces of junk."
    It would depend on the items involved.

In terms of structure of an affiliate program, when you say, "runs its program in-house" --well, does the system work? Is the technical part stable? Is it up-to-date in terms of technology?

My answers could be more specific if given more specifics in your question.

~Rhia7

Hi MarcFolch,

Online marketing education resources for affiliates are always appreciated & useful. As (to take me for example) an affiliate of CJ & Linkshare since 1998/99 I would say I am more advanced than some webmasters but I have lots to learn (lots ). The more free educational resources the better -- the affiliates will improve in their results too.

I terms of privacy protection software, I'm not sure of the fine lines between high end and low end.

Perhaps in your case banners would do it, but I have always succeeded with product pictures. People like to see individual products and they like to read my short summary of those products.
    Last edited by Rhia7; January 15th, 2006 at 03:06 AM.

There was a good thread on this in the past, Marc. Try searching ABW for it. If anyone remembers where it it, please post a link to it here. It would save everyone repeating the stuff over again, but rather refine it...

Geno

Thanks for the heads up Geno. That would be great if anyone knows where it is.

I tried running some searches for a similar topic before I started this one and nothing good came up. I must have been using the wrong keywords.

Marc

This one was the only one I've managed to find so far:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=67638

Hope it is of some help...

Geno

Those are some good points. Thanks for the help Geno!

Marc

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    I want to write my own content and link it to individual products. I also want to be able to add a picture of the product on my page. For me that's much more important than pre-worded links or banners. I also want to be sure they are clean (no parasites in their program).

As long as the product fits where I use it, converts and pays, it's fine with me.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Something that converts, tracks, and pays...if possible in a timely manner.

I could care less about the academics.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread