Merchants
    I realize people have reasons for doing things their way. That applies to both merchants and affiliates. I realize, too, that the affiliates participating in this forum may not always be in agreement, as opinions are like butt holes - everyone has got one.

I do have my two cents to share, as I am trying to be somewhat proactive in bettering the relationship between me, a publisher/affiliate and merchants in the SAS network. First, good decision to join this network on both of our parts

I do want to share with you how I work/operate, somewhat, as an affiliate when it comes to picking merchants, and promotions. I don't know how many fellow publishers/affiliates operate the same way I do, but I feel safe in saying I am not alone, entirely.

I search for merchants and promotions that work well for me, and my sites. How do I know what works well? When the ol' account balance starts to rise. I then start looking for more merchants who offer similar services and/or products. I will also continue to use whatever merchant that happens to be making me money, of course. When I go to making pages on what I have observed as money makers for me, I make bunches and bunches of these pages. However, there is a misforunate situation taking place:

If a merchant is offline, they will more than likely lose out. I will find a merchant somewhere, if not at SAS then in another network. I realize this is often a temporary situation, but still I move on. It is a sign I can't depend on you. Likewise, I have even turned from those listed with "low funds".

Goose eggs in your epc data, especially when you have been around for a while. I'll pass you up for another merchant.

Those that do not "auto approve", while I still may apply, get passed up. Usually, in this situation, I go find the first merchant that has what I want, which usually places those that don't "auto approve" on the back burner, and in some cases forgotten about.

You have this nasty habit of moving your images around and renaming them. Those of you who might be using Yahoo Stores beware. This has me getting fed up, and passing you up.

Merchants who can not keep with their inventory, or keep their products sufficiently updated. When I visit your site and there appears to be a lot of items out of stock, this will have me moving on elsewhere.

None of this is to say that I will never check you again, but you may be losing out to other merchants. I hope this helps. Cheers!
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    - All good info to pass on to merchants. I agree
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker Jones
    You have this nasty habit of moving your images around and renaming them. Those of you who might be using Yahoo Stores beware. This has me getting fed up, and passing you up.
    I just want to point out that even with Yahoo stores (like ours), the images in the FTP datafeed can be stored in a seperate server so that the names won't change at all.

For our affiliates, this datafeed is freelly provided and gives you full listing of all our products and static links for their image.

ABW Ambassador
    I recommend approving affiliates within 24 hours.
    I'd never recommend that a merchant auto approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Eink4u.com
    I just want to point out that even with Yahoo stores (like ours), the images in the FTP datafeed can be stored in a seperate server so that the names won't change at all.

For our affiliates, this datafeed is freelly provided and gives you full listing of all our products and static links for their image.
    I am a dinosaur. I don't do the data feed thing. probably need to learn.
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    I recommend approving affiliates within 24 hours. I'd never recommend that a merchant auto approve.
    Well, if any of those merchants are the ones that I passed up when making about my last eighty something product pages this twenty four hours, then I would say that is bad advice.

ABW Ambassador
    I'd never recommend that a merchant auto approve.
    What's bad in autoapproving, MCT ? I always thought it was good to auto- approve
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    He must have a high PITA tolerance level, cuz non-auto-approval definitely qualifies as one, no matter which side of the equation you're on. On the aff side, it's easy to take care of--just go on to the next one. But as a merchant, taking a day or 2 off would hold up the works and possibly lose a good aff. Manual approval is for those who want to make a j*b out of it, or who have someone else they can stick with being ball-n-chained to the place.

(Manual approval's purpose is to try to keep parasites and the like out--when the merchant isn't just being a micromanaging *mumble*. But on a practical level, as far as I can see, there's no big difference [to the merchant] to check after the signups come in and boot as necessary. Plus, like the old cliche goes, "strike while the iron is hot!")
    Last edited by Leader; January 14th, 2006 at 03:11 AM.

What's bad in autoapproving
    The main problem with auto-approving is that the parasites and other bad affiliates may join the program, and by the time the merchant finds out about those crooks, some damage may be done to that merchant status and to the regular honest affiliates that are affiliated with that merchant.

I used to get mad when I was ready to join a merchant and I got the "we manual approve our affiliates" deal, but after all I have learned on ABW , I don't mind waiting one or two days for them to check my site out, but after 72 hrs without any news from them, well....... I may hit the never mind button.

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for explaining Mr. Sal, it does make a lot of sense now

However, I see few downsides of this :

let's assume for example sake - that I am a new affiliate who will become a super affiliate later - don't laugh, I know I'll one day

Now I have discovered a niche and now I am on a signing spree with all the merchants in that niche so that I can test them all and find out what sticks. I am just starting a new ppc campaign and would like to test drive all the merchants I can. Obviously, I would like to test only those who will auto-approve me coz I am right now in this mood to spend on ppc.

Now, by the time the merchants manually approve me - say 2-3 days, I would have already tested my conversions and if I found a couple of good merchants, I would be shifting my focus on them, so wouldn't it that the merchants would loose a future superaffiliate

Or would it be so that the incentive for me to discover new merchants in that niche be so strong that I would wait for the manual approval and then test them out ?
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

If I am working and a merchant doesn't auto approve, it is pretty certain that they won't be in the lineup this time around. I will have already passed them by and be on to other things when I get the email that I have been approved.

However, when I go back and do updates in three or four months, then, they may be picked up assuming that they have given me ftp access to their feed as well by then.

Otherwise, they are shit out of luck with me.

No merchant is so necessary that I am going to wait for them when I am just trying to get the job done on this end.

Not trying to be mean but this train does not make unscheduled stops.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Rephrasing the world-famous Hamlet's utterance:

"To auto-approve or not to auto-approve: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them?.........."

Extent of potential damage is only measured by the activeness of the affiliate manager of the auto-approving program. A good affiliate manager goes checks his/her e-mail first thing once he/she wakes up, and when he/she gets the "Affiliate Joined - Approve/NonApproval from this Email" message from SaS, goes and checks out the newly-joined affiliate website. Strictly speaking, "auto-approval" only means that any new affiliate is auto-approved until the AM decides otherwise... The "Approve/NonApproval" e-mail contains such information as:

=====================================
    John D. Brown signed up for your affiliate program.
    UserID: XXXXX
    Shareasale.com Membership Level: Limited
    Country Mailing Address: USA
    Participating in Contest: No

www.NewAffiliateWebsite.com is the website they have entered. [Visit]

Based on your account settings, they have been auto-approved for your program, but you should look over their website to make sure.

If you would like to disapprove this affiliate, you can do so here:

Decline

or

https://shareasale.com/merchant-nona...3&userID=XXXXX
    =====================================

An AM that cares about his/her program, goes checks out that webiste and is free to Decline if he/she deems necessary for the cleanness of his/her program.

Conclusion: If you know the affiliate program (and/or its affiliate manager) is active, join an auto-approving program without a second thought.

Good weekend, everyone!

Geno

Or would it be so that the incentive for me to discover new merchants in that niche be so strong that I would wait for the manual approval and then test them out ?
    I know exactly what you mean, I just said what I think it would be a valid reason for waiting one or to days to be approved, but I agree with what you say about the heat of the moment.

There have been times when I am looking for a merchant in one category and I am ready put their links up for them, but just after I apply I discover that I have to wait, so while I understand the reason for waiting, I don't let that stopping me for keep moving on, and if the next merchant on the same or similar category auto approve on the spot, I may put that other merchant links up that day and test that merchant first.

So by the time the first merchant send me the email that they approve my site, I may be doing something and else and decide to get their links later.

Now that talking about this, I just remember why I may have some merchants on the networks that I forgot that I had applied before, and why I may not have used their links yet.

Sal.

Tax Paying Member
    Best Thread
    I am considered a newbie, been doing this for about a year now, have even made sales and received checks for MOST OF MY SALES. To start with, I knew nothing....that is NOTHING......It has been a slow learning process for me.

A lot of what has been posted in this thread, I have learned the hard way.
    I did not know if I was on the right track or not, but you have all confirmed my observations and also given me new food for thought. There have been times when I wanted to hang it up, but I am stuborn (persistant).

This must be (in my opinion) one of the best and most informative threads that I have read.

ABW Ambassador
    "I recommend approving affiliates within 24 hours.
    I'd never recommend that a merchant auto approve."

I agree. Those affiliates that complain that they don't get auto approved and won't put you up even if you approved them the same day, probably are the type that wouldn't make you much money anyway. Good affiliates wouldn't have a problem waiting awhile (not too long) if they think they can make good money with a merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "I recommend approving affiliates within 24 hours.
    I'd never recommend that a merchant auto approve."

I agree. Those affiliates that complain that they don't get auto approved and won't put you up even if you approved them the same day, probably are the type that wouldn't make you much money anyway. Good affiliates wouldn't have a problem waiting awhile (not too long) if they think they can make good money with a merchant.
    Probably reeks with ignorance. You should listen to some of the others, like leader, and Geno. Both have perspectives from a truly professional point of view.

BTW, I am not complaining. This thread was started to offer some constructive feedback. Trust just needs to be pacified.
    Last edited by Lurker Jones; January 14th, 2006 at 12:10 PM. Reason: additional comment

ABW Ambassador
    This coming from someone who wants to sue Google because their pages don't rank well, lol.

If an affiliate thinks they can make money with a merchant, then they will put them up if they approve them in a decent time. You have people complaining all the time about merchants and who they let in their program and then complain that they don't auto approve. Don't make much sense.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't let that stopping me for keep moving on
    Yes, that's important and I should not forget that whether the merchant auto-approves or not, I still have to keep working

Thanks.
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

If a merchant auto approves all applications, don't you wonder who is getting into their program? With all the trouble with parasites, cookie stuffers and the like, is it more important to have instant approval or get into a clean program?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    It's a reckless way of doing things. Merchants and affiliates are supposed to be partners. You would think a merchant would want to know who they partner with before they let them in their program, especially when merchants are being held liable for the actions of their affiliates. It's just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    It's a reckless way of doing things. Merchants and affiliates are supposed to be partners. You would think a merchant would want to know who they partner with before they let them in their program...
    If I am not mistaken there is a delay time beween the moment an affiliate submits their application with a SaS auto-approve merchant and the time their affiliate links become fully active. I am not sure what it is, but I have found out that even though RL is on auto-approval, my newly-joined affiliates (many of which I personally talk to before they join my program) do not have their codes active until around 24-48 hours after the time of their "approval"/application to join the program. For me: it looks like a good thing SaS has put up to give me time to either "approve" or "decline". Brings me back to what I've stated above. Namely, "auto-approval" only means that any new affiliate is auto-approved until the AM decides otherwise.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think that's how it works, maybe Brian can clarify but it seems auto approve is auto approve. I just checked it out and I get this for an auto approve merchant:

Welcome to the affiliate marketing program for merchant.com.

Please make sure to read the terms of agreement specific to this program.

You have been approved for immediate use of our banners and links to earn money from your web site.

Get Links for merchant.com.

This part:
    "You have been approved for immediate use of our banners and links to earn money from your web site."

I remember a thread awhile back at WebmasterWorld about someone "not so clean" specifically looking only for auto approve merchants, was actually gloating about if they actually took a look, he would never get in.

But in the end it's up the merchant/affiliate manager how you want to run your business. Personally, i would treat my business like a business and check who wants to partner with me. But like Merchant Consultant Team posted, within 24 hours or pretty quickly. Not months or weeks, maybe a few days or sooner.

I am 100% sure there is a delay. At least, so it was the last time I got a complaint about non-working links in (around a month ago)... Be good to have Brian clarify this...

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    If a merchant auto approves all applications, don't you wonder who is getting into their program?
    Not at all. Like Geno said, the ones with anything on the ball look at who got approved the next day when they get their e-mail. I have been declined the next day by programs on auto approve, as I am sure most people have, at some point. Yeah, that annoys me because, then, I have to rip out their links if I did them the day before. But, over all I think auto approve is well worth those few instances where this has been the case.

Auto approve DOES NOT mean that the merchants do not check out your sites, not by a long shot. It DOES NOT mean the merchant has any obligation to keep you in their program for even one day. The merchant has absolutely nothing to lose, at all, by using auto approve and they do have a lot to gain. That's why it is stupid for even the most fastideous merchant not to be on auto approve. Using auto approve just makes common sense.

Trust seems to think that auto approve and treating your business like a business and checking who wants to partner with you are mutually exclusive. They are not.

If you are, in fact, treating your business like a business you will not do things that will obviously lose you many opportunities to be on good sites, or for that matter even ONE good site.
    Last edited by SSanf; January 14th, 2006 at 11:34 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread