ABW Ambassador
    Lightbulb Asking your competitor for a link to your site?
    Do you do it ?

Let's say, in the normal process of your link development, you come across a site where you would have normally requested a link from a website.

But just before you send an email, you see that the site owner also has his own affiliate links to the same affiliate program you are promoting with the site. Now what ?

Should you continue your request as you would have done if you had not known that the site owner is also an affiliate ? And would your decision change if you come to know on further research that this site owner owns several more sites with affiliate links to this program (and other in the same industry) ?

Or you would not rather "out" your site to a competitor and move on without requesting the link ? After all, this is not the only place to get a link and you would not want other competing affiliates to get attention to what you are doing for promotion ?

What do you say ?
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Why would you want to send your traffic to a competitor?

What is it exactly you offer in exchange? I would be very suspicious of someone approaching me with such an offer to exchange links. There are so many dishonest people and tricksters looking to exchange links that as a rule I just don't do it at all.

Who has time to run all over the place checking to see if the links are still up or if they really go to my site and so forth.

I would rather just make an outright purchase of some honest links (ie: advertising on other sites). No exchange required and my time is better spent and more profitable making sites.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Why would you want to send your traffic to a competitor?
    Sorry SSanf, if I didn't make it clear. I was not mentioning link exchanges here. I myself don't waste time on link exchanges but do seek out good oneways. What I meant to say is that the competitor has a good resource site (not an authority site but still a good site) which links to similar sites without reciprocation. This resource site he owns is not to promote the affiliate program but does contain his affiliate link in the footer.
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

I don't know, then. I guess, it would depend. I wouldn't be handing out my site willy nilly to anyone. I just guess I woud look at his site and see if it looks like he is totally unique or if he has been going around ripping off other people's work.

Does the site look trustworthy?

Does he have other sites that look like knock offs of other sites?

Google the site owner's name and see what comes up.

It is a judgement call.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I do it all of the time. I usually go find something wrong or outdated (price, phone number, typo, etc) and then tell them I noticed it and give them the correct info. Have met some great friends this way. And exchanged links with them. The quality of my real competitors sites is vastly better than that of the posers who most often send me link requests.

ABW Ambassador
    I do it all of the time.
    Thanks Donuts.

Have met some great friends this way.
    That's interesting. Do you identify it in the mail itself that you are also an affiliate ?

The quality of my real competitors sites is vastly better than that of the posers
    I agree
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Quote Originally Posted by newaff
    That's interesting. Do you identify it in the mail itself that you are also an affiliate ?
    If it's a true competitor of mine, there's no need to overtly say it cuz it's obvious to both parties. If I need to explain it to them, then they're not a competitor (meaning clueless folks can't compete).

If we strike up an exchange, we often discuss the merchant's we're affiliated with and mush more. We form small groups that alert each other to things going on in our niche. It does take time to build the trust needed for real open exchanges, but it happens when the favors done back and forth are real.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    If it's a true competitor of mine, there's no need to overtly say it cuz it's obvious to both parties. If I need to explain it to them, then they're not a competitor (meaning clueless folks can't compete).

If we strike up an exchange, we often discuss the merchant's we're affiliated with and mush more. We form small groups that alert each other to things going on in our niche. It does take time to build the trust needed for real open exchanges, but it happens when the favors done back and forth are real.
    That's a real good thing to do. Thanks for sharing this info.

Also, have you noticed any downside of it too ? Like maybe those guys now closely follow your sites and start copying your ideas and your style to implement on their sites as soon as you implement it ? Or you are already so much ahead of them that you don't care for it or that they would have done that anyway ?
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

The folks I would contact already have all they need to compete. It's been my experience that most of the time, these folks won't steal your pages or ideas because they have their own and feel the same way. Most of what a competitor can build into their site or traffic techniques is pretty obvious to the power affiliates in a given niche - and it's really the one's that have nothing or are not good in the niche that are more likely to have the need to steal - so getting to know good solid affs that you compete with can help and can rarely hurt. And their links are worth exchanging.

ABW Ambassador
    That was exactly the information I was looking for.
    Thanks Donuts
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Coopetition - (COOPEration compeTITION) Cooperation between competing companies. In the information field, coopetition means settling on standards and then developing products that compete with each other using those standards.

PS. Make sure you exactly where they and how they link ... bottom Line CYA.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Make sure you exactly where they and how they link ... bottom Line CYA.
    Fo Shizzle!!!!

And be selective - my earlier posts were not intended to mean you go find them all. Allies should bring obvious strength to the relationship, including yourself.

I cross link with one of my major competitiors. Why? We look out for each other, talk about problems on the phone, advice on being ripped off and all sorts. You can't do this with just anyone, it grows over time. The result is we are now at the top in our category and can defend ourselves quite strongly against new players.

Competition is invitable, knowing who there are is extremely valuable.

We use headline feeds from a competitor and they use ours. Took a 7-page legal agreement and more than 15 months of red tape to make it happen. Geesh.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread