Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    BeFree - Baby Universe - WTF?!
    I hate to post a "first time burned in affiliate markting" post, but it seems Baby Universe doesn't want to pay a substantial amount of commission owed me. The amount that was due to be paid on December 1 most specifically has not been paid. CJ tells me the 'positive' is that the amount owed me is in the "waiting for funds" category ... that's supposed to be good news?

Seems I've read other B.U. horror stories on this board but I couldn't find any doing a search (or I didn't have the patience to sift through all the potential threads that popped up - sorry if this has been covered before).

Anyone have info on this merchant? Or if anyone at CJ (Todd?) can help, I'd be very grateful. Writing to the merchant gets no reply.

I have time and full pages on my site invested in this merchant and just killing those pages would hurt. The pages are still making sales. ARGHHHHH - I'm trying to find merchants on SAS with the same products as fast as I can to replace the B.U. stuff with SAS merchant products but I still want to get paid what's owed me.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

"doesn't want to pay a substantial amount of commission owed me"

Did they say they aren't going to pay, or did they just not get around to paying yet?

Some merchants there are a little bit slow to pay, but eventually get around to it.

Most BeFree merchants manage their own affiliate programs and all BeFree merchants manage their own payouts. Some merchants pay monthly whereas other pay quarterly. Check the Merchant detail page to see how frequent the merchant cuts checks. Unlike other networks BeFree does not send pay checks on the merchants behalf. Sometimes the merchant contracts BeFree to process affiliate checks which causes some confusion and makes people think it's BeFree not paying when in fact it is the merchant.

Hint - Look for the purple squiggly mark next to the merchant name in BeFree. Merchants marked with a squiggly have met key criteria such as consistent payouts and good customer service.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I hate to post a "first time burned in affiliate markting" post, but it seems Baby Universe doesn't want to pay a substantial amount of commission owed me. The amount that was due to be paid on December 1 most specifically has not been paid. CJ tells me the 'positive' is that the amount owed me is in the "waiting for funds" category ... that's supposed to be good news?
    The positive of that is it could be in the "reversed transactions due to non-payment" category. Be patient, and hope for the best, which of course is to get paid then send me a check for at least half for typing this post to encourage you.
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

In the payout field, there has been an amount "due to be paid" since December 1, 2005. Can't get a reply from the merchant. They do have a squiggly purple mark and it's saying "awaiting funds" for a payout that was due December 1 but thank you both for the info and reassurance!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker Jones
    The positive of that is it could be in the "reversed transactions due to non-payment" category. Be patient, and hope for the best, which of course is to get paid then send me a check for at least half for typing this post to encourage you.
    LOL - But thank you for the encouragement LJ.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Rexanne,
    Ever since their IPO they've really slowed down on the payments. Take a look at the payment history and you'll see how every month that goes by they get later and later on payments. I personally believe we'll get paid, I just think now that they moved the program management in house it's just going to take longer for us to actually see what's owed to us. I'm with you, I have tons of pages devoted to them since I've been working with them since 2001.
    As an alternative if you've never worked with aBaby.com take a look at their program; I think you would be really happy with their performance. I've worked with Isaac at aBaby for a long time too and he's a pleasure to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by emione
    Rexanne,
    Ever since their IPO they've really slowed down on the payments. Take a look at the payment history and you'll see how every month that goes by they get later and later on payments. I personally believe we'll get paid, I just think now that they moved the program management in house it's just going to take longer for us to actually see what's owed to us. I'm with you, I have tons of pages devoted to them since I've been working with them since 2001.
    As an alternative if you've never worked with aBaby.com take a look at their program; I think you would be really happy with their performance. I've worked with Isaac at aBaby for a long time too and he's a pleasure to work with.
    Thank you very much Emione! Good information about BU and it makes sense. I'll certainly check out aBaby - I did a lot of "dynamic pages" with BU which is why I'm so stuck but at least I can change out their product content with another merchant who offers the same products. Probably for a better % too. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Rexanne I think you are getting a bit hot under the collar for nothing. Heck I have one merchant (Brookstone) who still have not processed payments for October 2005!! They must be the worst offender when it comes to timely payments, and I'm sure other Brookstone affiliates can back me up on this. I wouldn't worry too much about a December 1st payment because that's early days for BeFree merchants. Even Boscovs, who always pay, take about two months from the time it says "payable" to the time the check is actually sent. I'm sure you'll get your payment from Baby Universe eventually so you will just have to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    Rexanne I think you are getting a bit hot under the collar for nothing. Heck I have one merchant (Brookstone) who still have not processed payments for October 2005!! They must be the worst offender when it comes to timely payments, and I'm sure other Brookstone affiliates can back me up on this. I wouldn't worry too much about a December 1st payment because that's early days for BeFree merchants. Even Boscovs, who always pay, take about two months from the time it says "payable" to the time the check is actually sent. I'm sure you'll get your payment from Baby Universe eventually so you will just have to be patient.
    Thank you for explaining things, Grumpy. I'll zip it and sit tight ... still don't like it but as long as it's common practice, I can live with it. :-)

Good luck getting paid from October. I'd be on fire by now if that was money owed me. You're a lot nicer than I am.
    Last edited by Rexanne; January 16th, 2006 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Afterthought. ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Rexanne from what I can see at least your BU is in "awaiting funds" status, which is better than "payable" status. Brookstone still has my commissions for October as "payable" which means they haven't even approved it yet!! It's extremely frustrating but, unfortunately, we are at their mercy. I've reached the stage where I dread getting Brookstone orders through BeFree because I know I am going to have to wait ages for the money, and sending emails doesn't help either because they just don't reply. If it wasn't for the fact that they convert well for me, I would drop them in a nanosecond .

Grumpy,

I think Brookstone is on the CJ platform as well, but I have no idea how many links your talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    Rexanne from what I can see at least your BU is in "awaiting funds" status, which is better than "payable" status. Brookstone still has my commissions for October as "payable" which means they haven't even approved it yet!! It's extremely frustrating but, unfortunately, we are at their mercy. I've reached the stage where I dread getting Brookstone orders through BeFree because I know I am going to have to wait ages for the money, and sending emails doesn't help either because they just don't reply. If it wasn't for the fact that they convert well for me, I would drop them in a nanosecond .
    It makes me crazy that we are "at their mercy" when it comes to getting paid. B.U. has been converting for me only because I created specific pages featuring their merchandise but I've been replacing the products with other merchant's wares. It's a PITA but I don't want to dread another sale being made and wonder if I'll get paid. A good way to find other product that matches what you want to replace is through this cool program at Golden Can: http://www.goldencan.com/help/FindMerchants.aspx - my apologies to Asif for using this awesome tool without using GC ... yet. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Check your terms and/or incentive
    Sorry to duplicate a response here if already said...but if you are under certain "incentive program terms" - CJ won't issue those payments for a few weeks (up to 6!) until the month is closed and the payments go through a routine validation process.

For example, some of my affiliates who reached those tiers for October 2005, had to wait to get that extra money until all was said and done. If they were earning 10%, they received those as normal. But if the incentive was to sell i.e. over $5,000 that month and earn 12%, then the 2% commission difference was held by CJ for 4-6 weeks before being paid out.

Not good news for the affiliate who actually reached the tier, but in any case, that affilaite has some extra cash just in time for the holidays. It's not always the affiliate, but the network behind the transaction.

I appreciate your concern! Hang in there, ~kmacbc

BabyUniverse buys Poshtots for 6 mil, plus stock:
    http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=17293

It would be nice if they took some of this seemingly extra cash they have laying around and started paying their affiliates on the same pay schedule they use to before the IPO.

Quote Originally Posted by emione
    BabyUniverse buys Poshtots for 6 mil, plus stock:
    http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=17293

It would be nice if they took some of this seemingly extra cash they have laying around and started paying their affiliates on the same pay schedule they use to before the IPO.
    It certainly would but all I can do is remove them from my site so as not to have to deal with more agro than I already have without having to chase my commissions or sales or tracking. Maybe they won't have as much "stupid-insurance" money around if all their affiliate prtners dump them for not paying on time.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    FWIW, according to that article they also run Dreamtime Baby, and DTB routinely extends all sales.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    FWIW, according to that article they also run Dreamtime Baby, and DTB routinely extends all sales.
    I'd say about 60% of my CJ merchants routinely extend sales. I pitched a fit to one merchant and he explained that they have 45 days to extend and they extend all transactions in case of returns, etc.

Meanwhile, B.U. is just not sending the $ to BEFree until they're good & ready, I suppose. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    My nov and dec checks for babyuniverse were mailed on the first. They almost always pay a little late but have alway paid.

my 2 cents
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by weblady
    My nov and dec checks for babyuniverse were mailed on the first. They almost always pay a little late but have alway paid.

my 2 cents
    Judith
    Thank you Judith. I now see in my BeFree stats that December payment has been issued. It's always good to know they have "always paid" even though it's still a big drag that they don't pay when they're supposed to. Does not put them on my "good merchant" list, puts them at the bottom of the barrel as a matter of fact. Just above the ones I send thousands of visitors without any sales. /rant

I appreciate the info!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Got a check today from Baby Universe. All's well in affiliate world even though it was more than 3 months late.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread