adwords - checking the price of keywords
    I'm thinking of using Adwords, started looking into it...

How can I check the price/cost of a keyword before I go ahead and create a campaign around it? For example, the keyword WEBHOSTING is very expensive, but to someone who doesn't know and wants to research it, it would be beneficial for him to be able to enter that keyword in some tool and find out the current max/min bids. That way he can see if he should even bother setting up a campaign.

Overture used to have this functionality. Does such a thing exist for Adwords?
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Overture has a Keyword Selector Tool:
    http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

You will be able to see:
    # Related searches that include your term
    # How many times that term was searched on last month

I don't understand what the webmaster bids on when joining Adwords.
    I thought Google was supposed to pay the webmaster, not the other way around

A clamor did not arise at the emergence of pop-up, pop-over & pop-under ads; the outcry resulted from the abuse of these forms. Advertisers did themselves in with the plethora of the pop-ups

Familiarity can also breed contempt: do webmasters ever wonder if people will tire of the Google ads and will refrain from clicking them? How long are people supposed to stay naive? I do not click upon Google adword advertisements.

I believe some webmasters must do well with the Google Adsense/Adword program, but I don't think that the program is a money machine for all webmasters.

Hey JP,

If you have an adwords account you can get an estimated CPC for your keywords. You can do this without creating a new campaign by using the
    'Traffic Estimator' tool. This tool will deliver an estimated number of clicks for each keyword queried as well as the estimated CPC. Unfortunately there is no external tool I know of for querying bid prices in Adwords.

Cheers

I agree with affiliate guy. You need to do this thru an adwords account. Overtures price checker is not very accurate for adwords costs.

And yes webhosting will be quite expensive. Always use 2 to 3 word groups in adwords. less cost and better targeting.

CJ
    "Every mans life touches so many others"
    - Clarence

Thanks to all for the advice.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Talking
    Hi everybody, I joined this very nice forum a couple of weeks ago, but I never participated in any discussion. I decided tonight to do it !
    Ok. About Adwords choice.. What I usually do is the following:
    1- In my Adwords account I choose "Tools" then "Keyword Tool".
    2- I enter the keyword that I want to look for (for example WEBHOSTING). Be sure that you are in "Keyword variations" and not "site-related keywords"
    3- I ask the big G to give me more keyword suggestions by pressing "Get more keywords". Be sure that "use synonyms" is checked.
    4- If you do this, you'll see a list of keywords that are related to your initial keyword. If you say the list closely, you'll see something like "Show columns" with 3 possible options. The default option is "keywords only". Change it to "keywords popularity" and then you'll have enough information about what you should target as a keyword. In fact, this option gives you for every keyword the "advertiser competition" and the "search volume". It's not a numercial statistics, but can help very very well. Unfortunately, with your keyword "WEBHOSTING" there is a huge competition even for very low search volume. so I suggest that you look for another keyword maybe it will help you better

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Sauve
    How can I check the price/cost of a keyword before I go ahead and create a campaign around it?
    You can ballpark it when you're experienced, but "knowing" is a very hard thing for sure. At AdWords, the difference between price (I mean bid) and cost (CPC) can be vastly different. I have a campaign where I bid $1.27 per click, but my CTR is well over 50% (a unique circumstance) and the landing page is exactly suited to the keywords - so my AdWords' Quality Score is through the freaking roof. My CPC for these clicks is only $0.26.

I have others where the CPC = 0.98 x Bid - so the gap between price/cost can be considerable - and unknown until you try. And until you tweak for a while.

If you do the things that lead to a high CTR, things may be cheaper than you think. Do it poorly and the CPC skyrockets!

So not only do you need to look at the competition's bid level, but their expertise and techniques. I just started a project where the competition is thick - I mean way thick. But there's no bold and blue players and they're not wise to the things I know and use - so in I'm marching. No guarantee it'll be profitable for me, and I actually don't know what the final CPC range will be - but wanted to point out I am entering a space based on ad CTR expertise regardless of the bid range there now. If I can outperform the crowd, creep near the top and see a positive ROI, for me it then becomes a question of what the ROI is - and not what the bid/cost is by itself.

I stopped doing hard calculations a while back and use my experience to guide me as to whether a trial is worthwhile - but I rarely jump in up to my neck without sticking my toe in the water for a few days.

Set your daily budget limit to a place that is very conservative as you feel out the water's temperature. Otherwise, you might get you toes burnt off right on up to the knee.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread