Best software to delete everything from hard drive
    Hi,

Is there a good software program that supposedly will delete everything from your hard drive or at least destroy it, after you have deleted from your computer and from your recycle bin.

As I understand it, you can think you have deleted something from your computer but it can still be brought back with certain sophisticated programs from your hard drive.

thanks

Don't you just format the HDD (and re-install the OS) when you want something like this done?

Geno

Geno,

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Are you saying to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system?

That's something I didn't want to get involved with if I didn't have too.

I was hoping there was some type of software that could be run.

Eraser might be what you are looking for . I haven't tried it, and just now googled it up. There are others like it.

There are plenty of software apps on the market that will claim to do what you want (just use your search engine of choice and you'll find heaps), but it largely depends on just how much you need to be certain that the information is gone. Think of the files on your computer like books in a library - when you delete a file on your computer, all you're doing is removing the book's index card from the drawers by the librarians desk. The book itself remains on the shelf and will only be replaced when a new book needs that shelf space (a new file is saved). If the new book is smaller than the old book, then parts of the old book can still remain there and be seen. Therefore, the type of program that you need is one that will write over any unused space repeatedly. The more times you write over the space where the old file was, the less likely it can ever be recovered. Then there are issues like the Internet URL's you've visited being kept in index.dat and so on, but most programs should deal with that no problem.

If you're trying to avoid files being found by a spouse/friend/boss etc, then programs like Eraser (as recommended above) should do the trick. If it's someone with a lot more resources available to them then a couple of reformats and re-installations should cut their chances down considerably, if not totally. If it's the FBI or someone like that, then a blowtorch and power drill is the recommended route (along with a false passport).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    So true...."If it's the FBI or someone like that, then a blowtorch and power drill is the recommended route (along with a false passport)."

Kill two birds with one stone. Go to my front page and purchase Sunbelt's Counterspy package. It has a great selective HD eraser, while leaving the legit stuff alone. Then once you have a clean machine get www.greenborder.com and forget ever having to go through this again.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWave
    Is there a good software program that supposedly will delete everything from your hard drive or at least destroy it, after you have deleted from your computer and from your recycle bin.
    I use Darik's Boot and Nuke at work.
    We use it before hard drives get trashed or donated somewhere.
    Boot with floppy, cdrom or usb drive. Works pretty good, takes a little while since it overwrites the drive several times.
    It is included with Eraser.

I also use Eraser. It works great for a small utlity.
    You can "erase" the unused space (all space that should be blank).

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread