Wayback machine
    Want to waste an hour or so put your oldest site in the wayback machine and see how the net and your marketing has changed. It will be more than you thought.

I just got an education about how bad I actually was at this. Looking back makes me wonder why any AM let me sign up into their programs at all. Man I really didn't have a clue. The sad thing was I took a look at what was working back then that I still use today and the answer was nothing at all.

Lessons learned
    Times change - the internet changes- don't fight the change - embrace the change
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I use the wayback machine everytime I buy a domain name. I want to see who had it before me, if anyone, and what they were selling. The last thing I want is to buy a domain of someone who was not using good business practices on the web.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Ron

That is exactly what happened with my first domain. It was a free email site based in Romainia that was banned in Google but I didn't know it. I bought it aty an expired domain site. Affiliate mistake #1 for me. Took me a year just to figure that out, I am guessing so many emails were used for spam purposes people complained.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

uh..oh.. can't see how ABW looked when it started and how it evolved over the years.

Haiko, wondering if chewing up of bandwidth is why these bots should be disallowed?

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Want to see something really bad? Here's my first website for my webdesign business from back in 1996:

http://web.archive.org/web/199610172....glencove.com/

My god I sucked!
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Todd is that frames Mine is worse but I cant share as I still own the domain

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It was all the rage way back when to have kooky tables, half a dozen fonts, tons of eye-popping colors, background sounds, and animated dingleberries everywhere you looked. If you don't believe me you should've seen what AOL looked like ten years ago. Wowza!

So if my sites looked kooky I was in very good company...pretty much everybody was doing it. It was the internet's psychedelic phase I guess. Most sites sobered up when folks started to realize there was money in them thar URLs.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    OMG!!! What a HORROR to see what my site looked like 5 years ago. Amazing I'm still here. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Todd is that frames Mine is worse but I cant share as I still own the domain
    Yes it's frames!

I actually still own this domain too, but it's for my almost defunct web design business.
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Times change - the internet changes- don't fight the change - embrace the change
    Sometimes things change--but sometimes they don't change!

One of my best-performing pages right now, conversion-wise, is one where the only thing that's changed in 5 years is the banners, a couple of words of the spin, and the name of the merchant. I only started sending traffic to it, because that idea beat the idea of writing a new page (especially since I probably couldn't come up with better spin than what I had on the old one). It's doing so well that I'm dumping my new designs, or at least severly paring back the modernization, if I can confirm that the conversion ratio isn't an anomoly specific to that merchant.

But then again...I didn't use any frames, and it's not a super-kickass-design type page...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks nyfalcon for the great link, I was unaware of this one. I find it very interesting. A thanks to 7days also for the input about checking domains before you purchase. I did not consider this before.

By the way, some of my past designs were awful also.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The Standard For 96-era Sites:

1. Midi Music Files
    2. Loud Background Image
    3. Animated GIFs Everywhere!
    4. Frames (If you were really on the cutting edge)

The truth is, much of our slick web design we use now would not even function back then in the old browsers. Things could have been a little easier on the eyes (and ears) however, even with basic table-HTML design.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

What really got me is I had another one of my sites linked to it and when I clicked the link I stepped back into another site and that one had frames. I guess in a few years I will be wondering why I was using server side include files lol

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Sometimes things change--but sometimes they don't change!

One of my best-performing pages right now, conversion-wise, is one where the only thing that's changed in 5 years is the banners, a couple of words of the spin, and the name of the merchant. I only started sending traffic to it, because that idea beat the idea of writing a new page (especially since I probably couldn't come up with better spin than what I had on the old one). It's doing so well that I'm dumping my new designs, or at least severly paring back the modernization, if I can confirm that the conversion ratio isn't an anomoly specific to that merchant.

But then again...I didn't use any frames, and it's not a super-kickass-design type page...
    Good point, Leader. Another interesting read on this point is: good designers redesign, great designers realign.

Nice link, useful and fun!

Good article nish. Often thought along the same lines, but often guilty of that insatiable desire to make over sites because they just don't look right, or nit-pick at some sites.

But delevoped they'll become. Good to keep focus and that article helped.
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I use the wayback machine everytime I buy a domain name. I want to see who had it before me, if anyone, and what they were selling. The last thing I want is to buy a domain of someone who was not using good business practices on the web.
    Such a helpful suggestion - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    1. Midi Music Files
    2. Loud Background Image
    3. Animated GIFs Everywhere!
    4. Frames (If you were really on the cutting edge)
    Sounds like the emails I get from some of my AOL firends LOL
    Rosey Bear Boutique
    Dressy Children's Fashions With Style!
    5% Commission : NYS Merch : Parasite FREE
       Akoss Hosting
    We also provide reseller accounts for ABW members.
    Ask for details

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Nothing like looking back at my extremely stupid days... LOL
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    Nothing like looking back at my extremely stupid days... LOL
    Looking extremely stupid back in my nothing days.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

LOL.....So much old cheese....Mine is an abomination. Another good use of the wbm is for locating "forgotten" unique content. I guess the practice is ethically open to debate...but rather than debate I find it generally best to just do....I can't see the "dead" from a defunct site like NextCard resurrecting themselves to come after you for plagiarism. Still, common sense says to make sure that whatever you snag is truly nolonger in use...

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Wayback came in handy one time when I forgot to pay my hosting on time. The company deleted my site and I panicked when over 1000 pages were suddenly gone! At that time I didn't have any backup! WB had most of my pages so I spent a few days retrieving and rebuilding the site. Wheeee was that ever fun #!&?$&#

Now I have EVERYTHING backed up...
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread