Unhappy Linkshare link problems?
    I was just checking my Linkshare affiliate links on my site and noticed that they don't work (I'm getting a "this page cannot be displayed" error message for all of them).

Is there any reason that comes to mind immediately as to why this might be happening? I'm approved to promote all the merchants in question, I haven't altered the code for any of the links, etc. I'm a little worried here!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ABW Ambassador
    Everything is working fine on my end. Have you recently downloaded anything or installed new software on your computer that could be blocking affiliate links? That's what it sounds like to me.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    What is the URL of the page that the error occurs on please, and would it by any chance be from Dell / Target ?

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Chris:

I have both those merchants up so do tell if there's something I need to know about them LOL

The links are all fashion/beauty merchants, so no Dell or Target.

And I was able to make them work when I tested them at work today, so I'm thinking it may just be my computer, unfortunately. I haven't downloaded any new software recently that would be causing this to happen, but I still suspect the problem is strictly at my end.

Interestingly, when I tried to sign up at Linkshare in the first place a few weeks ago, I couldn't actually access the site because it had somehow been added to my hosts file - so perhaps this is connected. Anyone else run into similar problems?

Chris, thanks for offering to look at my URL, but I can't send PMs and I'm a bit shy about posting my link in the forums as of yet!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You'll probably find your system has been hijacked by some affiliate BHO Adwhores. Results of clicking any network coded affiliate link, and even non-affiliate links, reroutes the URL request to some competing affiliates server overwriting your cookie with theirs. Google some free online anti-virus scanners and Adware/spyware scanners as your HD local defenses are disabled by the blackhat affiliate perps. Good starting point you can trust is www.ecomcity.com/news.htm
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Gingerbread,
    You may want to contact LinkShare Customer Support to help you through this issue. You can reach them at contact@linkshare.com or call 888-SHARE-89 ext. 644.

Ranae

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread
    The links are all fashion/beauty merchants, so no Dell or Target.

And I was able to make them work when I tested them at work today, so I'm thinking it may just be my computer, unfortunately. I haven't downloaded any new software recently that would be causing this to happen, but I still suspect the problem is strictly at my end.

Interestingly, when I tried to sign up at Linkshare in the first place a few weeks ago, I couldn't actually access the site because it had somehow been added to my hosts file - so perhaps this is connected. Anyone else run into similar problems?

Chris, thanks for offering to look at my URL, but I can't send PMs and I'm a bit shy about posting my link in the forums as of yet!
    kazaa lite is one of the beasties that likes to mess with a hosts file. You could probably edit the hosts file to where all that is in there is 127.0.0.1 and localhost. Technically, Windows doesn't need it anyway.

Oh yeah . . . some viruses also edit the hosts file so you can't go to the antivirus sites for help.

Yeah, I suspect it was Kazaa Lite that dumped all the junk in my hosts file. I need to sit down and clean it out properly.

Thanks for the advice, everyone - I ran Ad-Aware earlier tonight and now I'm doing an Ewido scan. Hopefully this helps matters somewhat.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread