Commission For New Customer Only
    How common is this? I signed up for a merchant that tells you plainly that they pay for new customers only. Once a purchase is completed the customer is theirs and no repeats are possible.

Now I could understand if it was a car you were selling, but this set up will probably see relatively small orders from first time buyers. I like their products and use them, but they are on my "consider for dumping" list.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be too common.

For a lot of them, I wouldn't be surprised if it was really more of a ready-made excuse to reverse. I'd be leery of them unless they had a good track record of not calling too many sales "unqualified."

Personally, I can't see setting up a program that way. If the customer comes back through an aff link, it (unless a parasite inserted itself in the way) means that the merchant didn't do a good job of convincing the customer to return--if they did, the customer would have just typed Merchant.com to begin with, I'd think. So, they should be glad the affiliate got that customer to come back--and therefore pay up the commish!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I find most of these merchants at CJ - and I find they also pay the lowest commissions and have the shortest cookies.

Wonder why they even bother with us.

Do what I do when they ask you to join. Say "If it's just a one-shot deal, then I want 100%"

No ones ever said yes... but I'm an optimist

I've actually seen quite a few variations of that, but they aren't very common.

1) Fairly high bounty for a new customer, nothing for returning customers. For instance, Half.com's old program, where they paid like $5 or $10 for new customers and nothing for returning customers. This isn't too bad, as long as the bounty is high enough. It should be considerably more than the single sale is worth, taking into consideration future value of customers.

2) One commission for new customers and a lower one for returning customers. This is pretty rare, but I've seen a few. I don't particularly care for this type, but it's not bad.

3) A set commission rate, plus a bounty for new customers. I absolutely love this setup. While it's almost the same as #2, it's presented in a much better light. Instead of seeing it as "getting less for returning customers", we see it as a "bonus for new customers". The best example of this was Drugstore.com, who used to offer 10% commissions plus a $10 new customer bounty.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    That reminds me... I signed up w/ a merchant that made me choose

Do I want a big commission for new sale and basically nothing for repeaters

Or do I want a middle-ground commission regardless of weather it's a first sale or not

I oped for the BIG commission now, as ALL my sales will be new...

and hopefully I can change it later on

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread