ABW Ambassador
    Todd question .... automatic linking ... old can of worms but new technology
    I've been on the sidelines for a while now, developing new broadband marketing technologies and business models. Where I'm heading is to serve digital multimedia presentations, in some cases just simple streaming video ads.

During a multimedia presentation, it's my intent to automatically link the viewer, in context with the content being presented, to merchants' (advertisers') sites during or at the end of the presentation ... just as seamlessly as someone watching a television program is automatically presented televised ads. In some cases the automatic linking may be implemented with popup windows.

Todd, I remember CJ taking a stand at one time that publishers were not permitted to send their visitors to merchants' sites unless the visitor clicked on a link. In the context of pirates setting cookies I supported this stand, but in the context of the broadband marketing world now unfolding, I think it is entirely appropriate and legitimate to automatically link visitors to merchant sites.

What's CJ's take on this Todd? I'm moving quickly into production now so please answer soon.

I am pretty sure we will require that the end user click on the offer. I suggest you display a link/image that says something like, "click here to visit this advertiser" at the end of the video.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for your response Todd.

In my model, the viewer will always have the option of clicking out of the multimedia presentation but there will also be a passive transistion to the product or service I'm promoting if the viewer remains interested.

In this model, the viewer has selected my presentation on demand so it's expected their interests will be fullfilled by the presentation and a passive transistion to the merchant's website will be entirely appropriate.

I hope CJ will reconsider, or PM me if there's more to discuss off-line. In the meantime, I'll work this outside the CJ network but there are some CJ-registered merchants I've been working with and was hoping to promote in my broadband initiative.

It seems to me, that the user already did an activity when they clicked the link to see the presentation, so isn't that good enough?

Strictly speaking, it is a forced click. On the other hand, we are open to new opportunities and would work with a publisher to determine the best way to promote an advertiser. Often, the intitial idea is not the final version and through discussions, we can come up with a way that works for everyone. I suggest you collaborate with our NQ or Pud Dev teams.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Internet Cowboy
    This is a can of worms indeed.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    This is a can of worms indeed.
    What, you don't like my 0.04 second presentation? Can I help it if you have a short attention span? :-)

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread