View Poll Results: What would you do with a site that search engines hate?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • dump the site

0 0%
  • keep the site as it is

2 10.00%
  • dump the content but reuse it for a new site

0 0%
  • revamp the site with the existing content

13 65.00%
  • others

5 25.00%
    ABW Ambassador
    Would you abandon ship?
    If you have a site which has only 1 page in yahoo even though it has been around for more than a year (yahoo penalty) and the google traffic you get is ONLY google images, what would you do?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    You could have it point to a site that's producing for you while you figure out what to do with it.

I'd make enough of a percentage of change, hopefully, so the SE could notice the change.

This is an example of why I have over 100 sites. I experiment and find what works. When one does not, and I do give them ample time...up to a year sometimes, I rework it based on my other models that have worked. It's all a learning experience but we also have to remember that what worked three years ago may not work with the search engines now. Adapt, experiment and learn....
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by womanht
    If you have a site which has only 1 page in yahoo even though it has been around for more than a year (yahoo penalty) and the google traffic you get is ONLY google images, what would you do?

I have heard that one page URLs do not get much attention from search engines. I did a little search engine research of URL's that I know, that have one page and they have no page rank at all. I would try and add another page with some fresh content.

Good luck
    Jamie
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today! [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php [/URL]
    e. jamie@shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world. - Muhammad Ali

I've got one site in this boat and I've been more or less ignoring it lately due to the lack of traffic. I have plans to add to it to make it more viral and Web 2.0 friendly, but that's on the backburner. I haven't lost hope and know I can bring this site back to life, but it's just not my top priority. I've got other sites that are doing quite well, so that's where my focus is at the moment. The trick is to focus on what your visitors are focusing on and milk it.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    I voted "revamp the site with the existing content" but that isn't exactly what I'd do.

Add a few more pages if it's only 1 page.
    If you have many pages and only 1 is showing in the search engines I'd leave that page alone and add fresh content to the others.

If fresh content doesn't help, then I'd either change it completely or dump it depending on how much time I have to invest.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

does anybody know how to ban images.google yet still allow google to crawl the site please?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

I would change the site around a bit just once (don't want to expend too much energy on something that is not producing) just to see what happens.

As far as Yahoo goes, I have never had a site recover from the "acknowledgement of existence" disease. But many stagnant sites have been brough back to life by MSN and sometimes Google. I have over 100 sites as well, and one that I had left for dead for more than a year suddenly fell under the good graces of Google and MSN at about the same time, and that one site now produces at least 10% of my income; pretty damned good considering it is also one of my smallest sites, at about 30 pages.

My theory is that if you have the server space available, it's worth renewing the domain registration and letting it sit there. It may also still have value for inbound links to newer sites.

I would add to it what can it hurt.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Here's what happened in some of my sites.

Each had plenty of pages. I added even more new pages. Traffic comes in but through google image search. None from yahoo or the regular google search. No matter how much I add or how frequent I make changes, yahoo still lists only 1 page. Google sends image mooching traffic only.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    does anybody know how to ban images.google yet still allow google to crawl the site please?
    I ban all the image bots. Put the following in your robots text:

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    Disallow: /

User-agent: Yahoo-MMCrawler

User-agent: psbot

User-agent: ichiro
    Ebudae

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread