ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down Musician's Friend - No Commission because of website problem
    Hello,

Recently one of my forum members purchased some products from Musician's Friend through a link on my website. He then informed me that there was a problem and he hoped and expected I would still be paid.

I sent an email to the merchant like below:

Recently one of my top website members contacted me to let me know that they ordered some gear through your company since we recommend you on our website and he also wanted to see me get a commission for the sale and thats the reason he chose to go with Musician's Friend.

I have included part of his message below from [forum member]:
    --------------------
    Hi, I just placed an order with Musician's Friend for a [product] plus [product] & a [product] ... Grand Total was $477.92, US dollars.

Anyway, I tried to use the link to their page. Boy, did I try... I got to their page fine, I got my shopping cart filled just fine, I got my account just fine, but for some strange reason, their system wouldn't recognize me... It kept coming back to the "We have no shipping address for you... blah blah blah..." I finally gave up and called them on the phone. Must be getting' close to some big holiday or something' tho... I was on hold for a while, but got it done. The kid I had on the phone - didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned your web site.

He told me not to worry about using the website and he would take my order over the phone.
    --------------------

Anyway after waiting patiently for 2 months and several emails later they finally got back to me yesterday after I contacted them and asked why I haven't herd back. This was their reply:

We were unable to find your transaction as commissionable in our data base and report files. We apologize for the delay in responding.
    That's it? I can't believe they can be so damn arrogant, I have made this merchant tens of thousands in sales over the last 2 years and I'm really disappointed how they treated this case.

I would like to know what forum members think of this situation?

I just want to make it clear the only reason the forum member decided to go with this merchant is that he thought I would get a commission as he would have preferred to buy it locally.

I haven't contacted CJ yet so maybe I should ask them to investigate.
    I will take this to BBB if I have to and it's only about $30 but its the principal of the issue that pisses me off. How many other people is this happening to?
    Last edited by glittered; January 17th, 2006 at 04:26 PM.

They obviously (like most companies) do not have anyway of crediting you with an order when taken by telephone and not via the website / cj link. I'm sure you are only one of hundreds if not thousands of websites giving them sales and there is no way for some salesperson on the phone to know who you are by website name and I doubt they even have any system for him to credit you in the first place. I highly doubt the average salesperson in the store even knows they have an affiliate program let alone a way to credit via telephone.

Better Business Bureau will not be able to help you at all because this is not fraud or anything like that. (they don't do much anyway) CJ won't help either because the order was not placed via your link therefore they have no record of a completed order to go to bat for you. I"m afraid you are screwed on this order.

Wish I had better news

ABW Ambassador
    thanks for the feedback, I just wanted to say that they did ask me for confirmation on the guys details like his name, order number, order total, shipping details etc so I thought they were going to look into it? I have also been in contact with the guy that brought the goods and he has given me all the details and was concerned and very disappointed.

the guy said the following in one of his messages to me:

I thought it odd that they wouldn't want to fix their advert link in order to be able to pay a commission where a commission is due, and instead told me to use the phone... Actually, the word I'm lookin' for is more like "suspicious"... I don't want to fling no accusations unwarranted, but... there it is. At the least, they need to work on their web site programming to where it at least generates an appropriate error message for the user. I just kept getting cycled back to the same "Enter your address" page, with no idea where or how I'd "bombed" it. Ya try to do the right thing, and they want to cop 28 bux from yah.
    and later after he received the goods:

However, they only put 4 sheets of packing paper in this *huge* box, the pop screen package was broke (no obvious damage to the screen), the Rode was inside a plastic zip-pouch, no foam, no nothing.... I was worried it wouldn't work. But it does
    thats bad and I won't be recommending them any more after all this in fact I will be doing the opposite.

As for BBB, well they sorted out a similar issue for me a few years ago which wasn't criminal fraud either so I will go to them and give them a try if it comes to that.

As for CJ, well the merchant does not offer a functioning website and if the purchasing process is corupt then they should take action on making sure this merchant offers a website that works.

Glinted,

Voxman pretty much summed it up. It might of just been a hiccup in their system at the time. I tested them twice with no problems placing an order over the holidays. I just started using them so you would know better long term how they are.

IMO though it would of been good business to credit you the sale seeing how you send them thousands of dollars in business.

One thing that happened was a microphone wire that I ordered didn't work properly so I called their customer service and they handled it great and shipped me a new one no questions asked and didn't make me send the one that didn't work back first. All JMO of course.

I would call them once more and give them the chance to do something about it and let them know your plans if they don't

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    It sucks completely that you are not going to get credit for this sale.

First, the customer TRIED to order through your link but the merchant's web site was not working properly to credit you on an order where you clearly deserved compensation.

When offered proof that you sent a customer who purchased XYZ via phone order only because he couldn't complete the sale through your aff link, they should have immediately given you credit for the sale. Yeah, "only about $30.00 " to you, but to them, a much greater loss if you stop promoting them and because of this, others don't promote or buy from them.

They're stupid and greedy, you lost a sale and it sucks HUGE no matter how anyone tries to justify it. It's just WRONG. Whatever recourse you feel you should or need to take to make it right, I'd say go for it. This goes beyond principle ... it's just plain BS! /rant
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Internet Cowboy
    Their customer service is the absolute worst I have ever experienced. I dopped them all together.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the feedback & support.

I sent them a reply today like below:

We were unable to find your transaction as commissionable in our data base and report files. We apologize for the delay in responding.

Sincerely,
    Musician's Friend Publisher Support
    Hello,
    Yes this is obvious that you can't find the transactions as I explained to you clearly that the order was carried out over the phone since your sales rep told the customer to not use the website but he would complete the order on the phone. The customer was clearly instructed by your staff to not use the website which is where my commission would have been tracked. Your website was not functioning correctly or didn't allow for a correct error to be generated to the user if the browser wasn't able to handle your programing.

So this is two issues on your part that has led to a failed commission for me

1. Your sales rep instructed the customer to not use the website
    2. Your website programing was not able to handle errors correctly

I would like to remind you that I have sent around two thousand people, three & a half million impressions and made over 30 sales to your online shop since April 2004 on the BeFree & CJ networks. This is a long term project and the first 2 years have only been the start up stage for my network and the potential for our partnership has not even touched the surface and I'm very sad to hear of your inconsiderate feedback of the situation. I would have thought that you would have paid this commission to me since I supplied you the correct order details, I even got all the private information from the customer for you and told you the reason why it never went through, I even supplied the time & the sales rep's name. I'm very surprised of your decision and your attitude toward a partner who is helping to pay your wages and make revenue for your company.

I would like you to review your decision as well as forward it on to your most senior person in your company who is able to look at this and review it themselves.

I'm asking for this commission to be paid as a matter of principle and its not about money but its about requesting what is or should have been paid to me.

Hi there! Hope you don't mind a total newbie to the forum joining your thread... What worries me is that you happened to know this customer and he happened to want to benefit you through that sale. If he had been a stranger or, at any rate, not bothered about the niceties of the distribution of his payment for the goods ordered, you would never have known about it. How many others may have gone through the same process without informing you?!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread