It would appear in recent research that the game programming and development markets are growing way to fast. There are alot of very good sites out there, HOWEVER, because the market is growing expendentially, the sites being put up now are crappy, lack of good content, poorly made pages, etc. (even those crappy sites are getting bombed by heavy traffic, and returning traffic, sad eh?) Alot of these "good" sites are ran by REAL pros, and programmers themselves. Here are just a few to take a look at, http://www.gamedev.net , http://www.theunderdogs.org , http://www.gamasutra.com There are various links to other GOOD sites through these as well. However again, if your wondering where your next site may be based on, this is not such a bad idea, provided you have the EDUCATION in that field, or programming education period. Most of these sites are bombed by heavy, heavy traffic loads. Links on these sites are more effective than search engines, because its such a specific targeted field & most of these sites are where EVERYONE goes in that field anyway. So, my point to be is, if your thinking about trying to make some more money off your sites or thinking about making a new one and not sure where to start, this is a GREAT oppertunity because the industry is growing so rapidly.

Best of luck to you,

TheeAnvil

P.S. Again, I cant earge you enough to really think about this. If your needing help with the idea, or need more info, feel free to post replies and I'll check this post frequently. Or just email my me.

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: TheeAnvil ]

That sounds like a very good idea, but some of us (me), lack in the creativity department of making good/reasonable graphics.

Scanners are a wonderful thing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Well, your right that would be the TOUGH part, but graphics arare obtainable. You can always find graphics. But like I said, I would be willing to help any who want to get involved with it.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I had a look at those sites you mentioned and they are quite good. Don't think I could make anything even close to them.

Reasons...

Not having a credit card means I can't get a REAL domain name (I have a domain name in mind that's available [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

Not many people would visit a tripod / angelfire / geocities games site as they would think it too amateurish to visit.

I have no imagination for content or updates [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Well, keep in mind those sites ARE NOT going to be competitors, more like buddies.

And as for how they look compared to what you "think" you can or can not do, thats ok. Its the concept of trying to make it look REAL good, and I actually belive that YOU could do as good, or even better. Content and all, well, like I said in my main post, if your not a programmer of any kind, this may not be for you. But, its worth a shot.

But hey, this was just an idea. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It's definately an excellent idea for someone who has the right skills, especially in the graphics and creativity department (thinks about the ripper and Quiet777's skills). These guys could make something that could compete with the 'big boys' [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Also, I noticed alot of these programming groups have web pages, some good some bad, some just starting. If your an experienced web master, and have some good demo work, they my hire yer butt to do some pages. You will notice game sites always are high art, and alot of jpgs, alot of graphics. Unlike most standard contented sites.

Just another idea.

Hey TheeAnvil,

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us. This is a very good idea. I would not have a problem with creating the site whatsoever. The thing is that I would be stuck with the content. I have no knowledge on game programming whatsoever and I would not like to expand that much and start to learn that. I have knowledge in creating graphics, and programming in ASP and VBScript for the web, which is more than enough for creating a good website. Anything beyond that is out of my range. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

If you have an idea please tell me. I will be more than happy to develop and administer such a site, but someone else has to provide the content. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hey Alex,

Well, the content of a site like that would be derived or assisted by GameDev, if you go the site you will already quickly learn that they are in need of assistance, them mention it financialy. HOWEVER, a addition site to share their content and lower their traffic may be a good reply to them. I would highly suggest emailing them to see what they say. They would be your partner more or less. I am just sharing from what I have seen and learned from various sites on that EXACT content. If your not all for programming, or not in any desire to learn, this would make it a touch more difficult to help CONSTRUCT the site basis. Certain keywords and concepts will be hard to derive if your not sure what the sites total content means.
    I understand this type of site construction and maintenance will probably have a very specific target webmaster. Its a tough one to build if you really dont know anything about it unlike others that are more or less "easy to comprehend". But, if its something you might want to try or have a feeling you can get a general grasp, that would be a VERY good start and would probably carry you most of the way.

Sites like these are generating apon thousands of uniques each day. Just making a site that helps them MAY, if it works out between you and "them", produce a very effective market for yourself. Its a I help you, you help me type scenerio. So far in emails with these guys that run the site "gamedev", they seem to be very intellegent and very "good" guys just trying to hold ground. I would even help, but I am Way to busy to put time to a site. Studying and learning how to program with my 2 jobs is enough...LOL.

If ya like what ya see so far, I will contact them personally and see what can happen.

I think I repeated myself to much in that one...LOL....I noticed I kept revising the same mental note. ACK

Sorry about that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Either way, point to that whole message was. I belive you could work out a deal with them to provide the content, and you host the site. I believe if you talk and work with them, you could start one hell of a web relationship.

Gee TheeAnvil, that was an indepth explanation of things. Although as I said, I will struggle with the content, I will definitely write them an email and see what their ideas and needs are. I will also need to study their website a little, so I see what it actually is about and how they have things organized.

Thanks again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Ya I noticed I got a little to descriptive there.....LOL...Ops...Probably didnt need to write ALL that.....LMAO

Ops...... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

No damage done TheeAnvil. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] You didn't understand me. When I said "that was an indepth explanation of things", I meant it in a good way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread