PayPalled!
    I received one of those infamous "Your account is limited" (Not the spoof ones, a real one) emails today. The reason is I " either sell or faciliate selling of tobacco items".

In one of my sites, where small online merchants pay a flat-fee to get listed, I had a category called "Tobacco & Cigars". A bunch of sellers signed up for it, and it has been there, get this, since 2001. PayPal prohibits selling of tobacco items. And I thought I complied with it, by not selling. Though, I did listed sites that did. They probably just run some "PayPal + cigarettes"

So, today, kind of out blue, they restricted my account so I cannot receive or send payments. No notice at all.

I now removed the category and anybody that sells cigarettes and cigar, except those who sell related accessories and re-agreed to PayPal's policy. Waiting so they will re-activate and I can receive payments. Urgh!

Some rant and heads up those who may be in similar situation.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Good luck getting your account reactivated. I've heard horror stories about accounts being frozen for months.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    I received one of those infamous "Your account is limited" (Not the spoof ones, a real one) emails today. The reason is I " either sell or faciliate selling of tobacco items".

In one of my sites, where small online merchants pay a flat-fee to get listed, I had a category called "Tobacco & Cigars". A bunch of sellers signed up for it, and it has been there, get this, since 2001. PayPal prohibits selling of tobacco items. And I thought I complied with it, by not selling. Though, I did listed sites that did. They probably just run some "PayPal + cigarettes"

So, today, kind of out blue, they restricted my account so I cannot receive or send payments. No notice at all.

I now removed the category and anybody that sells cigarettes and cigar, except those who sell related accessories and re-agreed to PayPal's policy. Waiting so they will re-activate and I can receive payments. Urgh!

Some rant and heads up those who may be in similar situation.
    Wow, good info to know. Sorry you're going through PayPal hell Sam but thansk for the heads up. Please let us know what happens and if you have problems reactivating our account.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lets see we are in January, I say your account will be reactivated in January 07

As a side not, I wouldn't ever know if I got a for real PayPal warning becasue I delete everything that reads it's from PayPal unless I'm expecting it. I do the same with asnything seemingly coming fom eBay. But I login to my PayPal acount daily so I figure if there was a problem, I'd find out first hand and safely.

Damn crooks make it impossible to trust our email.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Definition of scary: Causing fright or alarm.
    Definition of Paypal: Causing fright or alarm.

Sorry to hear you are going through this. It truly is scary that there is no advance contact. What a poor way to run a business!

I am expecting larger-than-normal payments from two companies next month. I am now convinced I need to switch from PayPal to direct deposit.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Please Restore Your Account Access
    I'm into my 3rd month

Yet to get anything other then autoresponder messages

You have to know who to talk to,
    never email them it will get lost always call and endure the 33939393 rings before their accounts department picks up.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Give a hollar if you need PP phone #. I think I still have a few numbers around here somewhere... and a good email for a man who has worked miracles for people (if he's still there, it's been a year or more since I had to contact PP)
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    As a side not, I wouldn't ever know if I got a for real PayPal warning becasue I delete everything that reads it's from PayPal unless I'm expecting it. I do the same with asnything seemingly coming fom eBay. But I login to my PayPal acount daily so I figure if there was a problem, I'd find out first hand and safely.

Damn crooks make it impossible to trust our email.
    FWIW.

While I still like PayPal and eBay, and I was affiliated with both of them before, there was a time when I decided to just get the hell out of those two programs as an affiliate and or member.

After so many fkng FAKE BS emails from crooks, about this and that, I decided to ignore any and all emails that have the PayPal or eBay word on any email I get, so I had no choise but to drop those two for now.

And until the day that PayPal and eBay decide to sue the Placenta of all of those MF's that use the PayPal and eBay names for their own games, I will not going to worry about any email that I get that looks like it comes from PayPal or eBay, that's not my problem.

Sal.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    PayPal sure need to mellow out and create a relaxation room. You know the one where you can smoke all the killer weed from spring mountain water fed blongs. (wonder if that sentence runs through their objectionable text content filter without fuggin it up?)
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

So, if you have a site that is an affiliate for a tobacco selling site they can close your paypal account even if it is not connected in any way what-so-ever with paypal???
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

You have to know who to talk to,
    never email them it will get lost always call and endure the 33939393 rings before their accounts department picks up.
    I called the number - didn't get the response I needed. I won't Restore my account - and they won't let me close it.

When my shopping cart registers a sale, it send me notification via email from my merchant account.

If someone uses PayPal, I also get the "Joe Blow has just sent you Money" email from payPal.

Few months back, I got a "Joe Blow has just sent you Money" email - about $18 I think - but no corresponding order from the shopping cart.

I emailed Joe Blow several times with "What's this? Did you buy something? I have no record of a sale.

No response.

Following week my account was limited.

Seems it was a stolen credit card and whoever stole it decided to randomly pay people money with PayPal

Real credit card owner issued chargebacks - which payPal had to pay - who in turn tried to pass the charges onto me.

No! I can't control if someone randomly paypals me money. I didn't do anything wrong!

The ONLY option I see when I log in to restore my account is to check a box to deposit $25 into my PayPal account to pay the chargeback fee - which I'm not doing.

This is SAM'S thread - sorry Sam - just saw an opportunity to vent

Billy

No problem, Billy. Vent away.

Account has been restored!

I told you I haven't done anything wrong

After I finished removing the tobacco category and re-reading the User Policy, I gave them a call. They did pick up within a minute but, they asked me wait 24 hours a someone from Review will review it. I said I cannot wait 24 hours, it has to done in a few hours because there are subscription payments that are processed every morning at 5:00 AM. 2 hours after I post here they reactivated the account.

Two people e-mailed in meantime saying "Yo, your paypal doesn't take money!". This is what I don't understand, why restrict receving money, just don't let me take it out without restoring the account. You can always refund the buyer back. Anyway, just glad that things back in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    No problem, Billy. Vent away.

Account has been restored!

I told you I haven't done anything wrong

After I finished removing the tobacco category and re-reading the User Policy, I gave them a call. They did pick up within a minute but, they asked me wait 24 hours a someone from Review will review it. I said I cannot wait 24 hours, it has to done in a few hours because there are subscription payments that are processed every morning at 5:00 AM. 2 hours after I post here they reactivated the account.

Two people e-mailed in meantime saying "Yo, your paypal doesn't take money!". This is what I don't understand, why restrict receving money, just don't let me take it out without restoring the account. You can always refund the buyer back. Anyway, just glad that things back in order.
    Happy to hear you're back in business and that PayPal was reasonable.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Something needs to be changed by paypal, or by the law. They should not be able to deactivate your account without notice, and than make you jump through hoops to get it back. I know one thing for sure, I currently have money in my paypal account, and I am getting it out now. I sure will never keep any in it in the future.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread