Kayak.com - What's their game?
    Their website is just full of adsense links. Hardly looks like the referring affiliate would get credit for clicks on those. Are they just trying to get free traffic by putting up an affiliate program?
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Apologies - this should have gone into the Linkshare forum. Not CJ.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Kayak.com OK with us!
    Kayak.com has always been a great affiliate of ours. I don't think their intention would be anything but honorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigagolf
    Kayak.com has always been a great affiliate of ours. I don't think their intention would be anything but honorable.
    Well that's adsense links all over their website...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Kayak.com purports to all to be a Linkshare lead merchant, not some poser affiliate operation. How could Kayak (Travel Search Engine) slide into an elite affiliate slot for a Golfing equipment merchant? They sell Adwords type Ads to travel related sites, and don't post Gigagolf creatives. I could care less about some smoke and mirrors program hyping the earnings opportunity with (Return days: .208 ) a 12 minute window before ZERO commissions kick in. I could care less about a LS merchant who's entire interior site being designed as a keyword PPCSE exit trap monitizing all the duped affiliate referral traffic.

I do object to some Flash driven non-converting LS merchant coming to their rescue, as if the two are tied at the waist. Maybe they share an AM who operates affiliate sites for them, and others, using insider stats and shared e-mail lists.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Hells bells! I'm glad I found this forum! Sounds like I should scuttle off and wipe Kayak.com off the face of my virtual reality empire! One would have thought that proper checks would be made, on a regular basis by all the networks on all the merchants. In fact, I am starting to wonder what, if anything, they do all day at half of the networks I belong to.

I seem to spend half my time lately, e-mailing merchants about things the networks should be on top of, like the fact that their graphics are not available on the path stated in their codes, or their banner has a spelling error in it! I have come across several merchants who don't seem to understand that we affiliates also care about our reputations - I don't want misspelled messages or graphics with chunks of pixels missing from them all over my sites and I don't imagine most other affiliates do either!

Guess we need the cyber equivalent of a nay-bore-hood watch to deal with the Kayaks et al... that is a serious no-no.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Oops! Wrong Kayak.com
    Boy do I feel silly. Our Kayak.com (their name on LinkShare) is not the same as the Kayak.com that La Valette was talking about. Ours is KayakOnline.com. Sorry

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Talking
    Boy do I feel silly. Our Kayak.com (their name on LinkShare) is not the same as the Kayak.com that La Valette was talking about. Ours is KayakOnline.com. Sorry
    Game them Rick. Hook up some Golf resort vacation packages sponsored by GigaGolf and put in some keywords...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

How manyKayak.coms are there at LinkShare then?
    Now I am totally confused! Having gone to LinkShare and axed Kayak.com from my account, gone to my site and found both GigaGolf graphics missing (this seems to be happening a lot with LinkShare graphics at the moment - hope it is just a temporary thing) and replaced them with someone else's ads (nothing aginst GigaGolf, I just need ads that are working on my sites and I didn't axe GigaGolf from my account because I hadn't had the chance to look into it yet) I find an email with the last posting on this thread in it...

Isn't this the LinkShare forum? Are you saying, Rick, that Kayak.com, as listed at LinkShare, is not actually kayak.com at all but someone else pretending to be, when in fact they should be listed as kayakonline.com? Or that LaValette just happened to mention a similar-sounding merchant on this forum by mistake because that Kayak.com is on some other network altogether or what?!

Have I just tossed a perfectly respectable merchant out or should I be glad that I did so? I cannot make head nor tail of what you just posted there. Maybe I am just dumb... Could you, or someone, please, clarify things for me and, if I should not have ousted Kayak.com because they are a respectable outfit after all, tell me how to reinstate them or is that a matter of applying again?

No, the only mistake I made was originally posting to the CJ forum. Kayak.com is a Linkshare merchant and it's the one I meant to point my finger at.

Thanks LaValette!
    I feel much better now! So am I correctly under the impression that anything that appears to have been joined to it at the waist should also be purged or was that just a throwaway remark?

It is desperately important to me not to subject my visitors to anything I wouldn't want for myself and it should have rung a warning bell when I was approached by Kayak rather than the other way around but I was busy and didn't give the matter enough thought.

At the time, I thought they must be a nautical site I had already reviewed and somehow forgotten about and was surprised to discover that they were not nautical at all but still didn't hear any warning bells.

I am very grateful that I found your post and hope you have a splendid time in 2006.

ABW Ambassador
    This is really helpful information - thanks for the scoop on Kayak.com!

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hey Linnet

Welcome to ABW, just dropped you a mail by the way, saw I still owed you a reply

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread