Recommendations For Next Version
    Three recommendations for the next version of Webmerge:

1) When creating a multi-column layout, Webmerge is not adding the closing </table> tag if inside of another table in my layout. Is anyone else having this problem? If I'm using nested tables I have to add the </table> in my template file after my merge code.

2) I'd like to be able to create new folders based on a field name in my datafeed. I realize I can concatenate using / in Excel, but it would be nicer to be able from Webmerge itself to name a folder based on a field name and have the resulting pages go inside the folder with a default name of index.html (or other name of my choosing) automatically. The main advantage of this would be not having to manually update a feed before merging every time the feed is updated. We should just be able to plug and play the new feed and be able to tell Webmerge how we want our folder structure to be broken down. Far better organization and less time spent if we could just do this from the Webmerge interface directly.

3) Finally, I'd like to be able to include variables in the WM IF tag. For example, I am doing a merge (one step amongst a 4 step merge) that ONLY creates 2006 football schedules for all college teams. The schedules are all named <teamname>.html based on the TEAM field in my datafeed. In the next merge in my sequence, in my team template I would like to be able to include the approprite schedule for each team by using the WM INCLUDE tag to include the schedule made by the previous merge. The only way I can do it now is by editing the datafeed itself to include a new colum specifying the exact file name to include for each team. This is rather laborious. A command like this would be better:

[WM INCLUDE (FieldNameHere).html]

In the case above, I would use TEAM for my fieldname, which would cause Webmerge to automatically pull in each team's correct schedule based on each team's name in the datafeed. This would be a whole lot less laborious than specifying every single include file name in my datafeed. And again, I have to do this every single month when a new feed is released. If this were automated per the above I could instead just plug and play the new feed each month without any manual updates to the feed itself before merging.

Thanks for listening.

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds
    http://www.sitesandsounds.com
    Last edited by mintchap; January 18th, 2006 at 03:55 AM. Reason: fix typo

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by mintchap
    Three recommendations for the next version of Webmerge:

1) When creating a multi-column layout, Webmerge is not adding the closing </table> tag if inside of another table in my layout. Is anyone else having this problem? If I'm using nested tables I have to add the </table> in my template file after my merge code.
    Have you tried v2.4.1b?

It's available for testing -
    Win:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...W_WebMerge.exe
    Mac:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...bMerge.app.zip

All reproducible issues with tables have been corrected in that build. If you find any remaining issues please send me the files I'll need to reproduce it (source, templates, settings file) and I'll do my best to correct it before v2.4.1 goes final.

2) I'd like to be able to create new folders based on a field name in my datafeed. I realize I can concatenate using / in Excel, but it would be nicer to be able from Webmerge itself to name a folder based on a field name and have the resulting pages go inside the folder with a default name of index.html (or other name of my choosing) automatically. The main advantage of this would be not having to manually update a feed before merging every time the feed is updated. We should just be able to plug and play the new feed and be able to tell Webmerge how we want our folder structure to be broken down. Far better organization and less time spent if we could just do this from the Webmerge interface directly.
    Some improvements in naming flexiblity are in development for v2.5, and a radical overhaul which should do what you need is expected for v3.0.

3) Finally, I'd like to be able to include variables in the WM IF tag. For example, I am doing a merge (one step amongst a 4 step merge) that ONLY creates 2006 football schedules for all college teams. The schedules are all named <teamname>.html based on the TEAM field in my datafeed. In the next merge in my sequence, in my team template I would like to be able to include the approprite schedule for each team by using the WM INCLUDE tag to include the schedule made by the previous merge. The only way I can do it now is by editing the datafeed itself to include a new colum specifying the exact file name to include for each team. This is rather laborious. A command like this would be better:

[WM INCLUDE (FieldNameHere).html]

In the case above, I would use TEAM for my fieldname, which would cause Webmerge to automatically pull in each team's correct schedule based on each team's name in the datafeed. This would be a whole lot less laborious than specifying every single include file name in my datafeed. And again, I have to do this every single month when a new feed is released. If this were automated per the above I could instead just plug and play the new feed each month without any manual updates to the feed itself before merging.
    Support for variables wouldn't be too hard to implement. Good idea. How shall we define them? Should I make a place to set those up in the settings file, or does it make more sense to declare those in the template?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    Should I make a place to set those up in the settings file, or does it make more sense to declare those in the template?
    Depends on the variable

Overall, my knee-jerk reaction is to put them in the template. (IMHO)

Fred

Include Tag Response
    Most definitley in the template. I'm no programmer so I'm sure you'll come up with a syntax that makes sense, but again to me something like:

[WM-INCLUDE (FieldNameHere).html]

would be ideal. By allowing variables like this to work with the include tag I could do all kinds of merges in one connected series, placing the appropriate previously-generated html pages exactly where I want them in my subsequent merges. This would really open up some pretty amazing possibilities.

Thanks for your responses.

Brad Switzer

Nested Tables Still Not Working
    Note: When setting up columns in conjunction with the WM-RECORD tag, the ending </table> tag is only inserted if there are no other tables on the same page. If you try to put your data into a layout as a nested table, Webmerge does not add the closing table tag which messes up the page entirely. For example I am using this:

[WM-IndexLabel: TeamName][WM-RECORD cols=2 width=779]
    Item name: [WM-FIELD: ProductName] [/WM-Record] [/WM-IndexLabel]

If I put this code alone on a blank page it works fine. If I put this same code inside of an existing table, then the ending </table> tag is omitted in the merge. I have to use a manual fix by putting in the closing table tag myself. Like this:

[WM-IndexLabel: TeamName][WM-RECORD cols=2 width=779]
    Item name: [WM-FIELD: ProductName] [/WM-Record] [/WM-IndexLabel]</table>

If I do that then it works fine, as my closing table makes up for the missing tag. I am using the most recent download of Webmerge. Please let me know if you wish for me to send you all my files as a zip file. I don't think you'll need them because this one is pretty easy to reproduce.

Thanks.

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds
    Last edited by mintchap; January 22nd, 2006 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo

Affiliate Manager
    I doubt that's what's happening, as WebMerge is unaware of what's in your template outside of the WebMerge tags.

It may be that there are other factors at play, but of course without seeing the files firsthand it's not possible to know what they are.

I would recommend trying the VERY LATEST TEST VERSION (posted only a couple days ago):

Win:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...W_WebMerge.exe

Mac:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...bMerge.app.zip

If the problem persists I'd like to ask that you send me the files needed to reproduce the problem (settings file, source, templates). With the files in hand it usually only takes a few minutes to fix any bug. Without the files it can be impossible.

Substantial work was done on table generation in v2.4 and in the many rounds of v2.4.1. Thus far all reproducible issues have been addressed in the most recent build.

Please keep me posted with how the latest test version works out with your setup.
    Richard Gaskin

Resolved
    I downloaded your latest release and the table problem is resolved.

Thank you!

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds

More Table Issues
    Oops. I may have spoken too quickly. Sometimes it is working, and sometimes it is not, even though my pages are being generated from the exact same template in the same merge process.

Please see this page: http://www.sitesandsounds.com/football

I haven't yet broken down this site into smaller product groupings, etc., but you can see the problem already. Click on Air Force Flacons. You'll see that the page works perfectly. Now go back to the home page and click on Alabama Crimson Tide. You'll see this page has messed up tables and the
    products are trying to go into 3 columns instead of 2 as defined in my html
    templates with the WM-RECCORD tag.

You can go ahead and click through numerous other teams to find some that
    work, and some that don't... I have no explanation for this, as all pages are built during the same merge process from the same html template. Would
    you like me top zip up my files and email them to you? Or am I just missing something simple here?

Thank you.

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds

Affiliate Manager
    Oops. I may have spoken too quickly. Sometimes it is working, and sometimes it is not, even though my pages are being generated from the exact same template in the same merge process.
    If the problem persists I'd like to ask that you send me the files needed to reproduce the problem (settings file, source, templates). With the files in hand it usually only takes a few minutes to fix any bug. Without the files it can be impossible.
    Richard Gaskin

Please see this page: http://www.sitesandsounds.com/football

I haven't yet broken down this site into smaller product groupings, etc., but you can see the problem already. Click on Air Force Flacons. You'll see that the page works perfectly. Now go back to the home page and click on Alabama Crimson Tide. You'll see this page has messed up tables and the
    products are trying to go into 3 columns instead of 2 as defined in my html
    templates with the WM-RECCORD tag.

You can go ahead and click through numerous other teams to find some that
    work, and some that don't... I have no explanation for this, as all pages are built during the same merge process from the same html template. Would
    you like me top zip up my files and email them to you? Or am I just missing something simple here?

Thank you.

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds
    I can't really add anything right now, but I wanted to say - totally awesome site

Fred

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread